Worthing
Sanchez
Veltmen Dunk Webster
Lamptey caceido mwepo Pervis

Trossard welbeck mitoma

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No need to make wholesale changes, just increase the speed of the passing.
The blueprint was set at Anfield.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sanchez
Veltmen Dunk Webster
Lamptey caceido mwepo Pervis

Trossard welbeck mitoma

If this is a reaction to Spurs 70min shut out.

Pace has a truly limited effect when the defence and most of the team it is aimed at is camped in around the penalty area.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The previous 2 seasons. Can run fast, great :clap2:

Prior to his big injury, he would run fast past the oppo players with the ball. He'd do lots of 1 on 1s and come out heading towards their goal with the ball at his feet and the other player in the dust. Pure adrenaline filling for the fans.

Definitely not been the same since the injury. Much more cautious imo.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Prior to his big injury, he would run fast past the oppo players with the ball. He'd do lots of 1 on 1s and come out heading towards their goal with the ball at his feet and the other player in the dust. Pure adrenaline filling for the fans.

Definitely not been the same since the injury. Much more cautious imo.

He has - but sides have invariably doubled up on him which would have limited his effectiveness anyway.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Pace is what the big money looks for.... many available players have skill and football intelligence, not many also have the pace to go with it....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Pace is what the big money looks for.... many available players have skill and football intelligence, not many also have the pace to go with it....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

De Zerbi wants pace of pass and thought, profoundly more effective against a low Spurs style block than pace of players. I’ve never seen us pass the ball so quick than in some of those passages against Spurs. Once we master that, this low block tactic will be useless against us.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It was always going to be easier to score at Anfield against a team that came onto us, rather than a team which defended deep and narrow.

The majority of teams will low block us, especially at home and we'll need to find ways to counter this.

More pace on the wings is a possibility. The threat of us getting in behind will force opponents to drag the full backs away from the centre and give us more space in the middle.

I don't look at anyone in our team and think they deserve to be dropped, though there are a few on the bench who I think deserve a chance. So whoever missed out will be very unlucky.

Personally I think we'll see a lot more games like Spurs at home this season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
De Zerbi wants pace of pass and thought, profoundly more effective against a low Spurs style block than pace of players. I’ve never seen us pass the ball so quick than in some of those passages against Spurs. Once we master that, this low block tactic will be useless against us.

Agreed. We were passing incredibly quickly, hence the higher number of misplaced passes. Early days

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’d like to see

Sanchez
Veltman, Dunk, Webster, March
MacAllister Caicedo
Groß Trossard Mitoma
Ferguson

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's not always about us needing to make massive changes. Sometimes it's about the way the other team plays. We've always, always struggled to break down teams that play with a low block and men behind the ball (Burnley, West Brom, Newcastle under Bruce, Spurs). Yes, pace is good but Spurs never had big spaces in which to run. I know Mitoma looked good, but taking out Mac Allister from midfield and replacing him with Mwepu (of all people!), and bringing in Lamptey for March who's been arguably one of our best this season after a loss to Spurs seems extreme knee-jerkery.

Brentford's style will fit ours much more closely.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here