Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
:lol::lol::lol:

Comedy gold!

Earlier in the thread, you said (and I quote):

"He (LJ) was actually asked over the weekend if he would like to spend the summer with Cardiff but declined the opportunity."

Now you tell us that nothing of the sort happened. Instead, former player Roger Gibbins told Leon he would speak to someone at the club and try to sort something out. Not quote the same, is it?

As it happens, Roger's a mate of mine. He lives a couple of streets away, works for the PFA and also works for CCFC's commercial department on match days. He has no involvement in the club's coaching set-up whatsoever. So, in a nutshell, your claim that Leon Jeanne declined an opportunity to spend the summer with Cardiff is utter nonsense.

Oh, do give it a rest, mate. You've made your point!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
These are just a handful of the many articles written about Leon's potential!!! I cant believe Laughing Bluebird is even trying to dispute this!

What I have disputed is that the South Wales Echo published an article in 2002 tipping Leon Jenne to be the brightest Welsh star of that year, which is what you claimed. You said you had a copy of the article. How come you haven't quoted from that one?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Will TLB play himself as the undermining Cardiff schemer in the Hollywood film ?

number9

Jun 8, 2011
Laughing bluebird - this is embarrassing ! Roger works for the club, he knows the board and coaching staff who were at that time still employed by Cardiff! Leon was told if he wanted to it could be arranged but as Brighton had already offered him a trial he decided to go there! In the last 6 weeks Leon was also looked after by medical staff at CCFC and was at the vale recieving treatment, he was told at that time that if he did want to start pre season at Cardiff it could be possible! Leon is also very friendly with Craig Bellamy and has spoken about this situation with him!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where does it say that Brighton have offered Leon a trial? Everything I have read says that he is training with us but nothing about a trial.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Laughing bluebird - this is embarrassing ! Roger works for the club, he knows the board and coaching staff who were at that time still employed by Cardiff! Leon was told if he wanted to it could be arranged but as Brighton had already offered him a trial he decided to go there!

You're too right it's embarrassing.....

So who offered Leon this opportunity? The manager who had already been sacked? The coaching staff who were away on holiday and waiting to hear about their futures (they've since been placed on gardening leave)? Or the manager who had yet to be appointed?

You need to get your story straight, Number9.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Oh, do give it a rest, mate. You've made your point!

amen to that - as others have said it's to be hoped that this doesn't degenerate into a slanging match between two people when the story is much more important.

I don't understand TSB's need to get to his personal "truth" which is at best peripheral to what is happening at the training ground and nor do I understand No9's need for anonymity which seems pointless and does him a disservice.

Personally I don't think LJ will get a deal with us but I do believe he will get fit and might get a professional deal that otherwise would be beyond him. Given his history (even the disputed bits) that would be quite remarkable and worthy of writing about so fingers crossed it will work out for all concerned and hopefully we can continue to enjoy the journey on here.

number9

Jun 8, 2011
Thunder Bolt - leon has been told that if he impresses he will be offered a contract. He is training hard everyday and like the other trialists hoping to impress so that he is kept on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What other trialists?
That isn't what Gus is quoted as saying in this article.
Poyet gives ex-Cardiff winger a hand From The Argus)

Poyet said: “Leon is a personal challenge between me and a friend of mine.

“He will be training with us but it’s nothing one way or the other.

“It’s just something between me and somebody I trust.

“I’ve never done this before. I don’t know how it will work.

“I don’t even know the player, although I know his history.

“This isn’t a massive thing. It’s just him getting a chance to train with a good team.”

number9

Jun 8, 2011
Laughing bluebird - when this came about the staff were not all on holiday and some very influential people at the club were prepared to make sure he was given the chance to do pre season! The very kind offer was politely declined before it got much further because Leon wanted a new start in a fresh environment and because Gus was really enthusiastic about giving him a go! Do you honestly think CCFC would not be interested in a player who has been offered a trial by a rival championship club? Do you think Gus Poyet would take a gamble on this If he didn't speak to plenty of people in the game about Leon and his potential? Gus was told some incredible things about Leon, hence why he now has this opportunity!

number9

Jun 8, 2011
There are other triallists at training but they are young and you will not have heard of them! I won't reveal anymore about them as the club obviously want to keep it under wraps and it is not fair to discuss it any further!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, I've picked through this thread and despite number9's incessant cheerleading, I can't say I can work up any enthusiasm for this Jeanne fella. Despite the claims that he's the next Maradona / Best / Cruyff all rolled into one, he's not kicked a ball in anger for 8 years, and at one point apparently has shed 4 stone (FOUR ?!). I have never in my life heard of a post 30-something player making a return to the professional game after getting into such a state and going on a drug-fuelled 8-year bender.

He might be able to pull some impressive fancy tricks on the training ground, but he has never been able to apply his skills in a professional capacity for any length of time. I'm all for giving second chances etc, but the Albion is not some kind of clinic for recovering nutjobs. After decades in the wilderness, we are just beginning to embark in an immensely challenging division, and frankly I'd rather we wern't wasting our time on out of condition flakey ex-druggies who are looking for redemption and some kind of unlikely resurrection.

That said I'm sure Gus knows what he's doing. But I'd certainly prefer it if we focussed our energies on bringing in some TRUE professionals to represent the Albion this coming season, cos by christ we're going to need them.

number9

Jun 8, 2011
Easy - I've never said it will be easy, or that he will definitely do it! I've just said he was once heralded as a star player in the making and after 8 years away he has been offered a chance to resurrect his career with you! It is all up to how he performs in training now! Ive been quite honest and have admitted he is still overweight and needs to continue to work hard on his fitness! On the pitch he doesn't however look out of place! Getting into a championship team after 8 years away is a massive ask, he may do it, he may not but I'm certainly extremely confident that Leons hard work will not be in vain and he will be playing for a football league club at some level next year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy - I've never said it will be easy, or that he will definitely do it! I've just said he was once heralded as a star player in the making and after 8 years away he has been offered a chance to resurrect his career with you! It is all up to how he performs in training now! Ive been quite honest and have admitted he is still overweight and needs to continue to work hard on his fitness! On the pitch he doesn't however look out of place! Getting into a championship team after 8 years away is a massive ask, he may do it, he may not but I'm certainly extremely confident that Leons hard work will not be in vain and he will be playing for a football league club at some level next year.

I admire your optimism, and it would make a nice story. But the cynical side of me says that going by his track record, this is a guy who is simply not capable of being a professional footballer. Even if he gets himself up to scratch physically, does he really have the mental strength and attitude to be a pro ? He makes Leon Knight sound almost sensible, and we all know VERY well on here how that guy royally pissed his talent and his career away (and that wasn't through alcohol btw).

Gus's bet with his friend over this guy sounds like something out of Trading Places frankly.

number9

Jun 8, 2011
Ha ha I love Trading Places! It's certainly an unusual situation and you're right to wonder whether Leon will mentally be up for the challenge. A few years ago there would have been no chance but over the last 12 months he has been very fostered and determined. Personally I feel he has matured and turned the corner but nothing is ever certain. I just hope he can return to full time football at some level and put to rest all of his demons once and for all. Anything else is a huge bonus!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports