leon jeanne

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I have the article mate! At that stage leon had won qpr young player of the year in the championship!! Earnie, Collins and Gabs had done very little! I don't think you quite know the whole story about Leon!

You have the article? Then in that case, may I suggest you have another look at it and check the date, because it definitely wasn't written in 2002 as you have claimed.

As I previously stated, by the end of the 2001/02 season, Gabbidon had played almost 100 games for Cardiff and had won his first senior Welsh cap, Earnshaw had scored more than 40 goals for the first team and Collins had just broken into the senior side. Jeanne, meanwhile, had played 40 minutes and was lurching from one crisis to another.

Here is the truth about his time at Cardiff in 2001/02:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1517045.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1648870.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1682552.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1808022.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/2012707.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/2016991.stm

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
" Jeanne, meanwhile, had played 40 minutes and was lurching from one crisis to another."

Isn't that exactly the point of all of this............................It isn't about what happened on specific dates but it is a story of (potential) redemption and as such it will be immensely powerful if he succeeds.

Do I think he will start the season under contract to Brighton? Probably not. But if we can play a part in getting him fit to play somewhere in the league we will all be able to count it a success.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You have the article? Then in that case, may I suggest you have another look at it and check the date, because it definitely wasn't written in 2002 as you have claimed.

As I previously stated, by the end of the 2001/02 season, Gabbidon had played almost 100 games for Cardiff and had won his first senior Welsh cap, Earnshaw had scored more than 40 goals for the first team and Collins had just broken into the senior side. Jeanne, meanwhile, had played 40 minutes and was lurching from one crisis to another.

Here is the truth about his time at Cardiff in 2001/02:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1517045.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1648870.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1682552.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/1808022.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/2012707.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/2016991.stm

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

Look Laughing bluebird, your opinion on Jeanne counts for shit, as does mine.

I don't know what your trying to prove, but it seems enough respected pro's in the game seemed to think Jeanne was a star in the making before he went off the rails.

It proves nothing today, years have passed and only time will tell if Leon is able to progress back toward a level addiction denied him.

He may not have made it before as you seem intent on pointing out, but then again he could now be in a top 4 prem club.....nobody will ever know, but what is absolutly certain is Jeanne was a brilliant young player and by many professional accounts and recommendation, it is worth trying to support and coach a reformed man to see if that rough diamond can again be discovered.

he wont get a contract based on how could he used to be but only on how much he could offer today.

stop attacking him and stick to :sheep:

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Isn't that exactly the point of all of this............................It isn't about what happened on specific dates but it is a story of (potential) redemption and as such it will be immensely powerful if he succeeds.

Indeed it will. But the problem here is that Number9 is being somewhat economic with the truth as regards Jeanne's past.

I'm still waiting to hear who offered the player the chance to spend pre-season with Cardiff a couple of weeks ago. The answer will be interesting considering the former manager had been sacked, the coaching staff were on holiday (and have since been placed on gardening leave), and the new manager had yet to be appointed.

But why let the truth get in the way of a good story, huh?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Indeed it will. But the problem here is that Number9 is being somewhat economic with the truth as regards Jeanne's past.

I'm still waiting to hear who offered the player the chance to spend pre-season with Cardiff a couple of weeks ago. The answer will be interesting considering the former manager had been sacked, the coaching staff were on holiday (and have since been placed on gardening leave), and the new manager had yet to be appointed.

But why let the truth get in the way of a good story, huh?

In the particular circumstances I am not convinced that your truth has either importance or relevance. It seems to be just point scoring around the periphery for the sake of it while ignoring the main purpose. Sorry. Maybe when the guy has written his book..........................but for now the story isn't complete let alone written

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
In the particular circumstances I am not convinced that your truth has either importance or relevance. It seems to be just point scoring around the periphery for the sake of it while ignoring the main purpose.

In his opening post, Number9 said:

"Having won the (QPR) young player of the year award he fell into drink and drug addiction and eventually moved back to Cardiff in an attempt to resurrect his career. Leon was an immediate hit with fans.....

"It's a big ask but ask any Cardiff and QPR fan about him and they will say that he is one of the most talented players they have ever seen."

That's utter codswallop I'm afraid. But you're right, my truth has no importance or relevance. And neither does Number9's nonsense. This is only a message board, after all. It's what Leon Jeanne can do during his trial that's important, and good luck to him. It will make for an astonishing story if he can somehow resurrect his career.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
He ("Number 9") has a book to write and he's a journalist........enough said surely.

Much more interested to see how the main event plays out :)

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
In the particular circumstances I am not convinced that your truth has either importance or relevance. It seems to be just point scoring around the periphery for the sake of it while ignoring the main purpose. Sorry. Maybe when the guy has written his book..........................but for now the story isn't complete let alone written

Don't agree with this at all. TLB has absolutely no need to "score points" with us. He is just giving us his opinion from actually seeing Leon play in the interest of balance. From what I have read I would be very surprised if he made if near our first team.

number9

Jun 8, 2011
I just want to clarify a few things. Firstly, my friend will be writing the book, and has been helping to get Leon fit, not me! Secondly, Laughing Bluebird I fail to see what you are trying to prove! Not only has Crouch said in his autobiography that Leon was the best player he had ever seen, but based on his potential 8 years ago Gus Poyet has invited him to have a trail after spending 8 years playing pub football!!!!!!!! Do you think this happens to any old tom dick or harry? I have managed to get hold of some old news stories about Leon which hopefully will silence you once and for all!

News of the World (London, England)-July 8, 2001
Author: David Julians

Fashanu vow to turn Leon into Jeanne-ius

Jeanne last week signed for Cardiff City following a recommendation from former Wimbledon and England striker Fash. And Fashanu said: "I can relate to Leon as we come from similar, broken home backgrounds.

"A lot of clubs wanted to take him on in his younger days when he was known as the black George Best but none of them had any plans as to how to look after the lad.

"All football clubs seem to want to do is exploit young players but I won't allow anyone to take Leon for free and then sell him on for millions of pounds of profit when he has proved just how good he is.

"I could fix him up with a club in Dubai and he could earn loads of money but that is not the priority at this stage. The ideal scenario is for Leon to stay at home in Cardiff where he is safe and well looked after.

"I have taken him to Ninian Park because Sam Hammam has a good track record and I have been friends with him for a long time and he will play fair by the lad."

And the City supremo this week vowed to take Jeanne under his wing. Hammam said: "We are not going to let him down. He has had an underprivileged life -but God gave him talent in football.

"I will give him a promise -one day he will become one of the most outstanding players for Wales and give us all a lot of pleasure."

Fashanu added: "I have every confidence that he will prove to Cardiff and everyone else that he is a very special talent. With the right support off the field he can concentrate on where it counts, on the field of play."

Fash added: "I have spoken to Wales manager Mark Hughes and he confirmed to me that Leon was one of the most gifted players in the Wales squad but unfortunately had no guidance at all off the field. That is what I am doing for him at this moment."

number9

Jun 8, 2011
The Western Mail: Jeanne warned: Let Friday's demise be a lesson to you
--------------------------------------------------
Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales)-November 30, 2001
Author: MARIO RISOLI

The crowd love Leon, just as they did Robin Friday. Leon also has that same arrogance Robin had. He will take on anyone, no matter who they are.

"If Leon leads a normal life away from football then he can become a wealthy man. If he doesn't then he could end up killing himself just like Robin did.

"I know it's a cliche but Leon has got the world at his feet. He's not just a good footballer; he's a brilliant footballer.

"He can achieve anything he wants to. He can go on to play in the Premiership and play for the senior Wales side.

"Luckily for him he's still only 21 and young enough to get over his problems. He can get them out of his system.

"Leon could make a massive difference to this City team, " said Giles.

"He is everything Cardiff need. He is the wide man who can deliver quality balls into the penalty box."

"He needs someone to look after him, to make sure he's back home by 10pm and not drinking, " said Cork. "I don't know about his past circumstances, but he's not had a proper family upbringing.

"He's a nice kid, a baby really.

He's just a naive young boy.

number9

Jun 8, 2011
South Wales Echo: Jeanne showing good signs for future
South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)-January 17, 2002

WITH an abundance of talent and great vision, 2002 could be the year of Leon Jeanne - writes Terry Phillips.

The 21-year-old started for the Cardiff City first team for the first time at Newtown last night.

He produced tricks on the ball and magical moments which come naturally and make good defenders look clumsy.

Jeanne was up against League of Wales defenders last night, but I have no doubt he has the ability to do exactly the same to the Premiership's leading stoppers if he is in peak condition.

He headed Cardiff's first goal - only the second he has ever scored with his head (the other was for QPR) - and at times left Newtown players bemused.

He can be magnificent with the ball at his feet and he can thrill spectators with his skill.

Jeanne, though, has no doubts the best is yet to come.

"My fitness is coming on and my aim is to earn a first team call as quickly as possible, " said Jeanne.

"I'll keep working and wait for my chance.

"It was a heavy surface at Newtown and that made it more difficult, but it was good to play 90 minutes and I was pleased to score.

number9

Jun 8, 2011
South Wales Echo: Football: INJEANNEIUS
South Wales Echo (Cardiff, Wales)-May 29, 2002
Author: Terry Phillips Chief Sports Writer

THE Arsenal scout who discovered Leon Jeanne at the age of 10, and has been a close ally ever since, said today: ``He's a soccer genius.''

Prenderville first spotted Jeanne on a Cardiff sports ground when he was 10 years old. He was playing a year above his age for Cardiff Schools under-11 team.

``He was phenomenal, what a player,'' said Prenderville. ``With his back to goal he was brilliant, a class act at the age of 10.''

Prenderville, a former Norwich City scout, has been working for Arsenal over the last 11 years and he took Jeanne to the North London club.

``He is a genius on the pitch and he could have played in the Premiership, no doubt about it.”

number9

Jun 8, 2011
These are just a handful of the many articles written about Leon's potential!!! I cant believe Laughing Bluebird is even trying to dispute this! There are many Cardiff and Qpr fans who dont like Leon for what happened off the pitch, and that is fine, but all of them agree that he was immensley talented and the messageboard comments back that up! At 14 Leon played for one of the best youth teams in the country at Norwich! Along side him was Bobby Zamora, Robert Green and Craig Bellamy. They won a European tournament, where they beat Manchester United 7.0, and Leon was named player of the tournament! Laughing Bluebird doenst understand that the reason Leon hardly played for the first team at cardiff was because he was in and out of rehab and was not fit! I hope that this has at last settled this pointless argument that Leon was once a very highly rated player and we can move on!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
These are just a handful of the many articles written about Leon's potential!!! I cant believe Laughing Bluebird is even trying to dispute this! There are many Cardiff and Qpr fans who dont like Leon for what happened off the pitch, and that is fine, but all of them agree that he was immensley talented and the messageboard comments back that up! At 14 Leon played for one of the best youth teams in the country at Norwich! Along side him was Bobby Zamora, Robert Green and Craig Bellamy. They won a European tournament, where they beat Manchester United 7.0, and Leon was named player of the tournament! Laughing Bluebird doenst understand that the reason Leon hardly played for the first team at cardiff was because he was in and out of rehab and was not fit! I hope that this has at last settled this pointless argument that Leon was once a very highly rated player and we can move on!

Don't think so.

number9

Jun 8, 2011
As for who recommened that Leon spend pre season with Cardiff City, it was Roger Gibbins, who after playing in a recent charity game with Leon was so impressed that he told Leon he would speak to the club to try and sort something out!

As for my assertion that a lot of Cardiff City fans think he was a massive talent please feel free to look at this link, or just look at some assorted quotes i have cut and paste from the link

Cardiff City Forum View topic - Leon Jeanne Update

Remember seeing Leon in a friendly up at merthyr back in 2001, thought he was fantastic, with huge potential, i wrote to the club saying how impressed i was with him, they sent me a letter back saying they had passed it on to him, it was a great pity that he lost his way. good to hear he is in better shape now and trying to get back into league football, good luck leon. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Leon, was one of the most Talented players I have ever seen, Sadly Wasted.

Used to watch him play in our reserves when he was with us. He could have been as good as George Best had he not been distracted but then we wouldn't have had him if he hadn't been.

I saw Leon play once in a league game at home to Brighton. He skinned their right back, sent in a perfect cross and earnie scored.

Sad waste of a talent. Hope he has completely sorted himself out.

I seen play in Italy for the Welsh under 21 side he was the best player on the pitch the boy had class, if he had the right people around him at the time he could have been the best modern day player we ever had.

He did have the potential to become a top four club player. He was that good!! Such a waste of a talent.

Youre always entitled to your opinion on a player Laughing Bluebird but youre very much in the minority on this one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports