Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] *** Leicestershire v Sussex - penultimate CC game ***

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
It is - if they haven't been scarred too much by this season. Haines certainly could be a real find. We should never have let Luke Wells go, he would have been ideal as a senior player - another century for Lancashire yesterday*

* Yes, yes, I know it's only his first really.

Totally agree with this. I get the "let's rebuild" strategy, but leaving Wells out all last year (was he furloughed?) and then releasing him was really odd. We need someone like him to guide the kids coming in - where are they going to learn their trade from?

We desperately need some experience across all key disciplines.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We seem to be a bit short of batters who can actually bat, and bowlers who can actually bowl.

Middle to late order are hopeless, and the bowlers look like they will concede another packet (Leicestershire are currently 261 for 2)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We seem to be a bit short of batters who can actually bat, and bowlers who can actually bowl.

Yes, but apart from that it’s all good, right?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes, but apart from that it’s all good, right?
Sussex having been one of the best T20 sides in the world again this year is quite good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Middle to late order are hopeless

We have an 18 year old making his debut going in with four wickets down and then we have a no 10 and four no 11s. I think any side would struggle with a line-up like that (we're missing three players due to England call-up, FHP and Clark injured while saving Salt, Garton and Jordan for the T20 final). I'm not quite sure what the team is expected to do

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have an 18 year old making his debut going in with four wickets down and then we have a no 10 and four no 11s. I think any side would struggle with a line-up like that (we're missing three players due to England call-up, FHP and Clark injured while saving Salt, Garton and Jordan for the T20 final). I'm not quite sure what the team is expected to do

The criticism is OF exactly that - the make up of the team - rather than the performance of those out there giving their best.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The criticism is OF exactly that - the make up of the team - rather than the performance of those out there giving their best.

But that's my point, Sussex haven't exactly got much to play with. You could add Salt or Jordan (I'm not sure that Garton would add much to the batting) to the team but you do wonder how committed they'd be, seeing that they're offski in a few weeks.

The whole team is several batsmen light but like I said, I'm not sure what Salisbury is meant to about it. The real culprit is Gillespie who binned Wright as a FC player, signed Bopara as a T20 player only, chucked out Wells and signed an overseas player who sloped off halfway through the season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But that's my point, Sussex haven't exactly got much to play with. You could add Salt or Jordan (I'm not sure that Garton would add much to the batting) to the team but you do wonder how committed they'd be, seeing that they're offski in a few weeks.

The whole team is several batsmen light but like I said, I'm not sure what Salisbury is meant to about it. The real culprit is Gillespie who binned Wright as a FC player, signed Bopara as a T20 player only, chucked out Wells and signed an overseas player who sloped off halfway through the season.

Indeed. Two years of mismanagement have led up to this point. My criticism of ‘the club’ isn’t aimed at one person.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I actually think that, for all the acclaim of the three 17-year-olds, Atkins is the real find of the season. He's seriously quick and to get two five-fers in his first three FC games is a sign of serious talent. I think Crowcombe is decent too but I'm not convinced by Hunt or Sarro.

At the cricket on Wednesday, there was a big discussion about potential signings and Northeast's name was mentioned a lot. A miserable few years is nothing: look at Haseem, he couldn't buy a run for Lancs and is now in the England team. And Sussex have a good record at resurrecting careers - just ask Robinson or Topley or Jordan or Evans ...

……..or Briggs.
What other names cropped up in the wish list of new players chat ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
No play today. Hopefully there might be something of interest tomorrow afternoon in this match.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We really need to find several players who are not quite good enough to get into an international team. Robinson being a prime example until he blew it this year and vanished into the England set up, never to be seen again. Jordon was another except he keeps being picked for 2020 internationals.

People like Adams, Kirtley, Lewry, Martin-Jenkins (not quite England standard but almost), Mushtaq (slightly over the hill for Pakistan but way too good for everyone else), Goodwin (massive problem with his own international set up - there has to be a discontented Indian batsman out there somewhere. Ashwin can't get a game.....), resuscitated old pro still with something to prove like Cottey, As well as the up and coming kids. I know it was 20-odd years ago now, but it worked then.....

It is pointless getting somebody exceptionally good like Archer, because they all vanish into central contracts.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Terrific all round performance by James Coles for England under-19s today .
He’s turning into an effective and economical bowler.
If anything , he’s getting better results with the ball then the bat

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is this our most toothless bowling attack ever?

Leics now 300 for 2 and counting.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
356/3

Crocombe gets one - caught at deep square by Bertie Foreman (although the BBC scorecard showed it at first as Hudson-Prentice).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
362/4 Azad gone for 150.

Once again, caught by Foreman off Crocombe.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If you thought the last score conceded of 676–5 declared couldn't get worse... well, at 492–4 declared, Leicestershire gave it a go.

That's a combined 1168–9...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here