Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester City

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Yeah because this season we'll be playing a team entirely made up of youth teamers and free transfers of course?!

Elphick, El Abd, Caskey, Dunk and Smith will all feature this season.
It would be pretty hard to play Youth Teamers in our first season back in The Championship, as those players would not have the experience of playing that league before, it would be unfair on those players. It would be another Hinselwood season again!

I doubt Leicester will have any home-grown players in their first eleven this season, judging by the players they're signing each week!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Leicester look the best bet for promotion. They've got money to spend, a deep squad, good stadium AND other rivals like Leeds, Boro, Cardiff, West Ham and Forest seem to be selling or treading water.

£15 million wisely spent could get any of these sides in the Prem, but it's only Leicester that seem to have access to those resources or can afford the wages. Given the parachute payments and untold riches to be had, not least because of the developing Far East markets, it's a sign of the times more Championship chairman aren't able to have a punt.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Nobody will run away with the league this season, it is far too tight for there to be one team to completely dominate. As mentioned elsewhere a completely new team very rarely gels immediately.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was encouraging to see Cardiff lose Bothroyd to QPR. I agree that the division will be competitive, the sort of season where with 6 games to go you could have 20 teams still with realistic hopes of going up or avoiding relegation.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Leicester look the best bet for promotion. They've got money to spend, a deep squad, good stadium AND other rivals like Leeds, Boro, Cardiff, West Ham and Forest seem to be selling or treading water.

£15 million wisely spent could get any of these sides in the Prem, but it's only Leicester that seem to have access to those resources or can afford the wages. Given the parachute payments and untold riches to be had, not least because of the developing Far East markets, it's a sign of the times more Championship chairman aren't able to have a punt.

The business case is plain to see, spend spend spend, go up & get £100m minimum guarantee'd over next 3-4 years. Plus from next season the Championship has elected to follow UEFA financial fairplay guidelines, bearing in mind that in 2010 only a handful of championship clubs made a profit and 7 clubs actually spent more on wages than their entire income stream, then this year is a good time to gamble.

What's the Plan B though - if Leicester are not in & around the top 6 come April expect some drastic action.......

What isn't so clear is what the Plan B is.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What's the Plan B though - if Leicester are not in & around the top 6 come April expect some drastic action.......

What isn't so clear is what the Plan B is.

Tactical administration?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Encouragingly they have a manager with an Italian footballing mentality, which doesn't translate that well to British players. I don't think they'll walk this division at all, but then I think Sven's a mercenary twat who'll be off at the 1st sniff of failure.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Sven learnt about the Championship last season, the opposition, the danger men. He's been building a good squad.

Leicester now feels to me like Southampton one year ago, i.e. it's beginning to fall into place bit by bit and they should be good enough to go up automatically.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Leicester made bid for Andy Johnson. Sven = :facepalm:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7137880,0.html

Skysports.com understands Leicester have made a bid for Fulham forward Andy Johnson.

Foxes boss Sven Goran Eriksson is looking to bring in a new striker before the close of the transfer window and is hoping to lure Johnson to the King Power Stadium.

Eriksson has been frustrated in his attempts to bring a high-profile striker this summer and he is ready to spend big to land Johnson.

The Swede is a big fan of Johnson having handed him his England debut while in charge of the Three Lions.

Johnson's future at Fulham has been the subject of speculation with the 30-year-old in the final year of his contract at Craven Cottage.

QPR and West Ham have both been credited with an interest in Johnson, but now Leicester have made a firm offer for the striker and are waiting to see if he would be interested in a move to the ambitious Championship outfit.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is reluctant to lose Johnson as he is short of options in attack, but if he manages to brng in reinforcements before Wednesday's deadline he could be tempted to offload the former Everton and Crystal Palace hit-man.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Were has this money come from all of a sudden, they have a pre season home game against the mighty Real Madrid.

They have signed Nugent, Kasper Schmeichel, Neil Danns, Sean St Ledger and Lee Peltier

Just made a bid of £5mill for Matt Mills of Reading.

They got to be favs to win the league this year.

Players do not win divisions teams do.ericson could not manage a cubs outing to the seaside.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I very much feel that they are our Southampton this season. I think by the end of the season they will be a great team and probably go up but the amount of signings they are making will mean that the team won't gel for a while. It is therefore crucial we get a good headstart like we did over Saints last year.

Were has this money come from all of a sudden, they have a pre season home game against the mighty Real Madrid.

They have signed Nugent, Kasper Schmeichel, Neil Danns, Sean St Ledger and Lee Peltier

Just made a bid of £5mill for Matt Mills of Reading.

They got to be favs to win the league this year.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011

You don`t need expensive players to win this division you need a team.We have a team and we have GUS.We are going up

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
You can spend as much dosh as you like but if you aint got a Gus then its never gonna work !!!!!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sven is a proven league manager in Europe which is why he was given the England job so I think he will take Leicester up and then we shall have to see what happens.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I very much feel that they are our Southampton this season. I think by the end of the season they will be a great team and probably go up but the amount of signings they are making will mean that the team won't gel for a while. It is therefore crucial we get a good headstart like we did over Saints last year.
I don't agree. I genuinely think Leicester will finish behind both Albion and Southampton, who both have settled - and decent - sides. I tend to agree with Ernest - I wouldn't trust Eriksson with building a proper team these days. If Micky Adams' brand of football is 20 years out of date, then Sven's brand of packing midfield, and slowing down the game is itself 10 years of date. Football has moved on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here