Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester Bid £3 /£5/£7.5 million for Ulloa

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I mean that if Tony can afford it and wants to, could he add any amount we came in under the FFP limit this year, to next year's permitted loss.

I know what you mean but I was pointing out that if the rules allowed any amount we might come in under 'allowable' losses to be credited against the following seasons losses then equally you would expect them to debit any excess loss we might make.

The simple answer though is that there is no provision for either in the rules.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think you all thinking about this too much. Even the people who know their onions with the accounting stuff are only guessing, nobody has a clue what's really going on, just let it go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely any transfer fees received during the current accounting period ending 30th June (eg for Bridcutt, Barnes and El Abd) go towards reducing the losses for 2013/14?
That would be the most obvious way for it to work.

So you are suggesting that last season's fees received for transfers are outside of whatever budget has been arranged for this season and by the same token any money received for Ulloa this year will go towards covering this season's losses?
Sounds about right.
I think we may be in a relegation battle if this is the case, and we can kiss goodbye to a shot at the playoffs.
Not being able to use the money from Bridcutt is the biggest problem, but if we did sell Ulloa for a lot of money, that could be used this summer, so that's not so bad.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That would be the most obvious way for it to work.

Sounds about right.
Not being able to use the money from Bridcutt is the biggest problem, but if we did sell Ulloa for a lot of money, that could be used this summer, so that's not so bad.

Not sure but are we getting a bit confused by what actually happens and what the accounts reflect. At the start of last season, we were budgeting for an £8m loss which would meet FFP. The money we got for Bridcutt may well have been used to cover the purchase of Stephens and a lot could also depend on the accounting period. If the period we cover is 15th July to 14th July then the money could also be used to sign players when their contracts expire on the 30th June. Hypothetically, we could be signing players upto the 14th July and use the Bridcutt money. Not saying that is the accounting period we use for FFP purposes but could be an example of taking advantage of the system.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There are a few legitimate accountancy tricks that businesses do if they want to carry over income from one year into another for whatever reason - usually to minimise corp tax bills. One of them is to get your sub contractors to invoice early - say a day or two before year end - so that that profits in the previous year would be reduced. Don't know if or how a business like a football club could do this, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of way of front loading costs from season 14/15 into last season's accounts.

Edit to add: I imagine that the Toko Nzuzi signing would've cost a few quid in agent's fees and signing on fee. Could be that this was completed early to ensure that money came off of this year's accounts. Pure speculation though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Couldn't we just not "sell" him for 12 days after the deal's agreed?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another possibility is that a deal such as the Bridcutt one could've been loaded with easily achievable add ons that would guarantee us a payment of some sort for this season's accounts. Speculation again.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
There are a few legitimate accountancy tricks that businesses do if they want to carry over income from one year into another for whatever reason - usually to minimise corp tax bills. One of them is to get your sub contractors to invoice early - say a day or two before year end - so that that profits in the previous year would be reduced. Don't know if or how a business like a football club could do this, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of way of front loading costs from season 14/15 into last season's accounts.

Edit to add: I imagine that the Toko Nzuzi signing would've cost a few quid in agent's fees and signing on fee. Could be that this was completed early to ensure that money came off of this year's accounts. Pure speculation though.

Another possibility is that a deal such as the Bridcutt one could've been loaded with easily achievable add ons that would guarantee us a payment of some sort for this season's accounts. Speculation again.

These are all encouraging points.

As you say, speculation, so I guess we just have to trust that the club has considered all beneficial financial strategies.

So if, for example the permitted FFP loss is 8 million for 1 year, and we lost 5 million, then we couldn't carry the 3 million ( 8 - 5 million ), which we finished within the limit, over to the next year and add it to the next permitted loss ?

Not good, if that's the case.

No, as others have already posted.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Fantastic.

Too many seem to be delighting in selling Leo as soon as possible.

Don't think Leicester will be the only team, can see a few more testing the water before the end of the window in August just hope we have a suitable replacement if that happens

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Southampton were reported to be interested too.

Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. No bids from the Stains yet I understand. If they come up with the fee we're looking for, then all well and good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here