Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legia Warsaw Anti-Uefa Display

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Legia played a banned player. It wasn't a dotted "i" left out, they simply muggered up in the admin department and somehow missed that the player had not been registered for the previous round and so had not served out his ban. That was not Celtic's fault, it was Legias, and I'm not sure who discovered it but I don't think Celtic made a complaint ( though I could be wrong and will no doubt be told if I am).

However, on footballing grounds the result should have stood, and Celtic gave suppoert to Legias' case by not turning up for the next round.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The punishment didn't really fit the crime though, that's why people feel aggrieved. They hammered Celtic and the player only came on for the final 5 minutes.

Isn't the standard punishment for playing a ineligible player in a European match a 3-0 defeat?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Forget the sides involved. What's quite disgraceful is UEFA's inability to understand how punishments should fit crimes or breaches of rules. They dish out ridiculously low punishments for things like racism and ridiculously high punishments for minor offences that have done little to cause offence or upset the balance of play.

Look at the way in which Suarez's initial punishment has been treated. We can talk about the differences between FIFA and UEFA, but UEFA have a duty to set an example. This guy has bitten a third opponent. He will bite a fourth. Why? Because he sees organisations allowing him to get away with crimes. UEFA should have taken a stance on this and seen the punishment through.

It's as if UEFA and FIFA have a random punishment generator. Each time an offence occurs they press the button and see what punishment pops up.

L

litmanen

Nicely done. Btw, HJK Helsinki also managed to get to the Europa League :)
First time since 1998 when a finnish team manages to get to the group phase.

We all wanted HJK to get to the same group with Celtic, because finnish striker number one Teemu Pukki does not get to play in Celtic, and now rumour has it that Pukki is on his way to HJK.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Forget the sides involved. What's quite disgraceful is UEFA's inability to understand how punishments should fit crimes or breaches of rules. They dish out ridiculously low punishments for things like racism and ridiculously high punishments for minor offences that have done little to cause offence or upset the balance of play.

Look at the way in which Suarez's initial punishment has been treated. We can talk about the differences between FIFA and UEFA, but UEFA have a duty to set an example. This guy has bitten a third opponent. He will bite a fourth. Why? Because he sees organisations allowing him to get away with crimes. UEFA should have taken a stance on this and seen the punishment through.

It's as if UEFA and FIFA have a random punishment generator. Each time an offence occurs they press the button and see what punishment pops up.

Was it Sheff Utd who got relegated instead of West Ham when Tevez was ineligible and that was a bit more than 10 minutes following an administrative error.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
they didn't actually get kicked out though did they. they won 4-1 in the first leg, fielded an illegible player in the second and Celtic were given a 3-0 walkover result - putting them through on away goals. a 3-0 walkover is standard for offences like this.

It was 6-1 when he came on, he didn't have any impact on the result over 180 minutes and it was a genuine error. Turning 6-1 into 4-4 is not justice, not even close. May be different if he played 90 or 180 minutes, but this particular ruling should be objected to by all right thinking football fans. Appalling decision.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
It was 6-1 when he came on, he didn't have any impact on the result over 180 minutes and it was a genuine error. Turning 6-1 into 4-4 is not justice, not even close. May be different if he played 90 or 180 minutes, but this particular ruling should be objected to by all right thinking football fans. Appalling decision.

i completely agree. i'm not saying it is right, just that it is a standard punishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here