Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legends Match and Brighton vs Charlton: (Un)Offical Thread

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Prehaps I have missed something here but is it not to be expected that at some point an up and coming championship winger would go past a div 1 squad member full back? Is this not why 1 is playing in the Championship and the other has just received an extention or new contract for the 1st Div on a much reduced wage.

Had one of the, so called sought after by premiership clubs, central defenders been marking their striker, they would not have scored.

So lets cut Mayo a bit of slack until he does something for which he can truly be blamed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Michel's a character I grant you, and he does like to do some strange things from time to time. However, the crucial factor, and the fine line between champ and chump, is that over the years Michel has cost us so few goals. League one goalkeepers will generally make mistakes, but his ratio of mistakes to games is so low.

Totally agree. We've had a supremely agile and natural athlete of a keeper for the better part of a decade now, and there's still people moaning about trivialities such as he can't kick all that well or he only ever shouts 'AWAY!' or somesuch.

Rather have FDM's occasional head-mental air shot or mazy dribble than some dullard dodgy keeper anyday.

FDM is taken FAR too much for granted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Michel's a character I grant you, and he does like to do some strange things from time to time. However, the crucial factor, and the fine line between champ and chump, is that over the years Michel has cost us so few goals. League one goalkeepers will generally make mistakes, but his ratio of mistakes to games is so low. League one left-backs aren't perfect either, but can you say the same for Mayo r.e. costing goals?

I havent actually looked up the statistics but Off the top of my head I wouldnt think that Mayo has either conceeded or been partially responsioble for goals given away and those for which FDM could have done better if not entirely to blame for the goal is not much different.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yep. How often throughout a season do you honestly feel he's at fault for a goal, or could even have done slightly better? I'd say you could count the occasions comfortably on one hand. Compare that to how many goals we score thanks to a mistake/poor piece of play from the opposition keeper. I reckon the amount of those is well into double figures, and that's the stat that indicates the true standard most clubs in this league have to put up with between the sticks. We're BLESSED.

As you say, there are some mugs who don't appreciate what we've got, but I always find them totally drowned out by those of us who realise what a perfect specimen we have in our goal. The antis won't realise what a class act he is until he's gone. The non goal-costing fun and games just adds to the LEGEND:yahoo:

:thumbsup:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Totally agree. We've had a supremely agile and natural athlete of a keeper for the better part of a decade now, and there's still people moaning about trivialities such as he can't kick all that well or he only ever shouts 'AWAY!' or somesuch.

Rather have FDM's occasional head-mental air shot or mazy dribble than some dullard dodgy keeper anyday.

FDM is taken FAR too much for granted.

Well said sir, he'll do for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yep. How often throughout a season do you honestly feel he's at fault for a goal, or could even have done slightly better? I'd say you could count the occasions comfortably on one hand. QUOTE]

To do that you would need a large hand with an immense number of fingers.

Having watched the Albion for many years when we had very good goalkeepers I probably dont go into raptures about FDM as much as many on here but I would estimate that he is either at fault or could have done better with about 60% of our goals conceeded.

Having said that I would consider him to be better than a lot in this division and not as good as many so probably about average for the standard that we are playing.

If as everybody hopes we get promotion then will come the telling time and the time that we will sign a new number 1 keeper.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
TCB. I do not go by statistics and record them only when the need demands but I can remember on many occassion when we have conceeded a goal saying Kuipers should have had that or he was at fauklt but unfortunately in your eyes hye can do no wrong and if he was at fault fior any goal you would finda reason to slag somebody else off probably Mayo or El Abd.

I had a quick think and would place FDM as just outside of the best 10 goalkeepers I have seen playing for BHA.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And in yours he can do no right. I can't stand biased people.

That is not true, I believe that he is adequate for this division, not the super hero many make him out to be. I also feel that he under performs because he has no pressure on his place without us having a respectable acceptable 2nd goalkeeper. Perhaps Sullivan will change that and put FDM under pressure to perform better. Which can only be to our advantage.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
I think we would probably have won 2-0 (gotten one of the three decent chances we had in the first half) rather than 1-0 with any other League 1 type goalkeeper in your goal. He is a noisy shouty git, it has to be said. And as the Norwich fan alongside me commented, he just has to shout out his own surname when he jumps up for the ball with defenders. However, I do think Kuipers done pretty damn good on Saturday. Also, like others I don't get the dissing of Mayo on here - Hart weren't great either and got booed when he skied a ball 20 mins in - these are no spring chickens and were playing against youngsters (as I mention elsewhere, the average age of our squad on Saturday was 22.4 years, ie v young) so they are gonna get beaten to the ball a fair bit in a friendly game against such young folks. We're still more relegation material than promotion material in my opinion, and the consensus amongst Charlton fans (apart from that you need binoculars to see the pitch from the away end) was that our youth was the difference and Racon was the best player on the park. Strangely, those I was amongst (Albion & Norwich fans in the North Stand) picked out Charlton's full-backs as the best players - maybe not used to full-backs playing it up the field rtaher than just hoofing it! *shrugs*

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had a quick think and would place FDM as just outside of the best 10 goalkeepers I have seen playing for BHA.

Names?

I'd put Steele, Grummit, Beeney, Beasant, Roberts and Moseley above him.

Corrigan was a better keeper but not when he was here. I was never that convinced by Keeley who had some absolute stinkers as well as some excellent games, I was never sure which keeper would turn up and consider him too inconsistent to be better than MK.

Henderson made way too many parrying errors.

I am going back to 1976, who are the earlier ones or ones I've missed who were better?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, Mayo did get beaten by the winger who crossed for the goal, BUT Fraser should have cut out the threat before the ball got to him. So Fraser is just as much to blame as Mayo.

And anyway, it was only a f***ing friendly, so why all the fuss?

No one has commented on ElAbd's performance. I thought he was our best central midfielder on the day. Really made his presence known when he came on in the second half. Broke up many Charlton moves and passed well. On that performance he deserves one of the central midfield positions in the starting line-up.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Names?

Corrigan was a better keeper but not when he was here. I was never that convinced by Keeley who had some absolute stinkers as well as some excellent games, I was never sure which keeper would turn up and consider him too inconsistent to be better than MK.

I am going back to 1976, who are the earlier ones or ones I've missed who were better?

Charlie Baker 1960-1962.

I'm not trying to "close the Mayo debate." I couldn't care less if it runs for another month. I just think everyone's had their say (and in a few of our cases plenty of times), and noone's changing their minds now.

In my opinion, the "Mayo debate" is about whether he should have got the contract, and the assessment of his performance yesterday is totally seperate to that. It's the Mayo debate that I think ought to be ended, not discussion of that goal. For me, it was incredibly naive defending. He didn't get close to the man (as Richards does), and he essentially gifted Charlton the time and space to pick out a pass in our 6 yard box. I know damn well it wasn't the winger that scored - christ! It was the wingers killing of Mayo that led to it though.

Also, if you were actually reading what I said, you'd have noticed I haven't slated Mayo for his performance other than the goal. I've just said it was a typical Mayo match - average all round with the killer mistake thrown in to leave everyone on his back. Some people, although admittedly not you yet, take that to mean the usual suspects are crying 'Mayo's shit.'

Look, there is no debate now, Mayo has got a contract - so just live with it man. We need a squad that Adams is content with and mayo provides adequeate back up (I don't think that he can be first choice, but if he is it will be a decision based on his form, and not any sentiment by MA).

and I thought it was a good goal regardless of an defensive issues. Good ball inside the full back to the on coming winger who takes the ball inside the full back and drived towards the bye line. and at thge last minute pulls it back to the oncoming forward who puts it away really nicelely.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Names?

Eric Gill
Brian Powney
Perry Digweed
Geoff Sidebottom

John Keeley I think that he was better overall and his transfer value indicated that others thought that he was good also.

Possibly Dave Hollins or Tony Burns or FDM to be next

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here