Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
although delighted about last nights result (family reasons) and te performance. I would like to add that Leeds were absolutley terrible and have been in the previous two outings. Worst Leeds team for many years. We may have played well but could have been flattered by a very poor champion of Europe.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Have we got a date for the open top bus parade after winning last night yet?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
False Dawn

Just looked at the highlights. Leeds looked just shit and we should have scored more.

I was wondering if Kazenga Lualua's shot was not well saved by Westwood early in the first half against Wednesday had gone in, we would have won that game as well.
Or if Smith had scored in 1983, or Craig Maskell had not hit the post for a rebound against Hereford with the keeper to beat. CMS took his goal well against Cheltenham on a one to one, with his left.

Chicksen looked poor again when Byram got forward. Shades of Derby.

Lualua looked good to me. He is our only wide man now.

What's up with Solly March? Undiagnosed injury? Bad back !

Now Buckley has gone, I still think we need a wide player, one winger system, with Lualua better more central. March is not it.

According to the BBC stats Leeds had 56% possession in the second half.

Last edited:

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
The first half was the best 45 minutes I've seen us play since Gus left. My dad said "it's like we have 22 players out there". Nearly every pass and errant ball somehow found it's way to an orange shirt.

The movement, pacing, pressing was just beautiful.

Have that Hockaday! Piss off back to the conference with the rest of the 'big' teams!

So glad I went to see that. Will live long in the memory. We're ******* brilliant.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just looked at the highlights. Leeds looked just shit and we should have scored more.

I was wondering if Kazenga Lualua's shot was not well saved by Westwood early in the first half against Wednesday had gone in, we would have won that game as well.
Or if Smith had scored in 1983, or Craig Maskell had not hit the post for a rebound against Hereford with the keeper to beat. CMS took his goal well against Cheltenham on a one to one, with his left.

Chicksen looked poor again when Byram got forward. Shades of Derby.

Lualua looked good to me. He is our only wide man now.

What's up with Solly March? Undiagnosed injury? Bad back !

Now Buckley has gone, I still think we need a wide player, one winger system, with Lualua better more central. March is not it.

According to the BBC stats Leeds had 56% possession in the second half.

Is this satire? ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I forgot to ask an important question of those that went, regarding first impressions of the newbies:-

Do either or both The Hollacopter and T'Shearer look as if they'd go toe to toe with the opposition for the honour of team and club?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I forgot to ask an important question of those that went, regarding first impressions of the newbies:-

Do either or both The Hollacopter and T'Shearer look as if they'd go toe to toe with the opposition for the honour of team and club?

It's early days of course but Holla gave the impression that (unlike his compatriot) he would happily stand up and be counted if things ever get a bit tasty. He certainly got stuck into a few challenges against Leeds and probably deserved his yellow card. He eased off a bit after that and I was relieved to see him subbed. A very promising debut, could be a great bit of business by The Albion.

Conversely Teixeira is more likely to let his football do the talking. He appeared to take the stick he received from Leeds once they realised he was our danger man. He may have a latin temperament but really doesn't have the physique for a ruck and could get blown away in anything more than a light breeze. The sort of player you would hope to receive protection from the Ref or he could get kicked out of games. His skill should be sufficient to attract a lot of fouls from the opposition.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's early days of course but Holla gave the impression that (unlike his compatriot) he would happily stand up and be counted if things ever get a bit tasty. He certainly got stuck into a few challenges against Leeds and probably deserved his yellow card. He eased off a bit after that and I was relieved to see him subbed. A very promising debut, could be a great bit of business by The Albion.

Conversely Teixeira is more likely to let his football do the talking. He appeared to take the stick he received from Leeds once they realised he was our danger man. He may have a latin temperament but really doesn't have the physique for a ruck and could get blown away in anything more than a light breeze. The sort of player you would hope to receive protection from the Ref or he could get kicked out of games. His skill should be sufficient to attract a lot of fouls from the opposition.
You make it sound like T'Shearer will be our 'standard' that the girls have to protect while Greer et al are protecting the good name of the club.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I was there on Tuesday. Let's be clear on this. In the first half we gave Leeds a lesson with great possession play, great movement and could have scored a second. If we had, we may well have scored two or three more in the second half. However, due to a change of tactics by Leeds, they did come back into it but we clearly deserved our win. Our first half display would have created problems for the majority of teams in this division. The two players that mainly influenced this were Holla and Teixeira.

Regarding Holla, he can certainly look after himself. His tactical awareness was excellent. He came deep and let the centre backs split when we played from the back like in the Poyet days. However, he likes a tackle as well. He reminded me of Bridcutt although I'd say his range of passing looked better. Early days of course.

Teixeira is lightweight but he showed courage as tackles were flying in to try to stop him. I can see him winning a few penalties, especially at the Amex. I've been around a bit, and he brought back memories with his turning and sleight of foot of a certain Peter Ward. He won't score as many goals as he plays behind the centre forward but he was a joy to watch. I just hope he plays on Saturday.

Both will be real fan favourites, I'm sure.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
You make it sound like T'Shearer will be our 'standard' that the girls have to protect while Greer et al are protecting the good name of the club.

I don't really care if he becomes a poster boy as long as he does a proper job for us. He certainly looked up for the Leeds game and put in the hard yards even when Leeds targeted him for a battering in the 2nd half (when they could catch him!).

If Teixeira continues in similar form for most of this season then his contribution will be crucial. He gives us that precious creativity, an ability to beat his man and score a goal. He set the tone for our performance on Tuesday night. I am concerned that he will now be targeted by opposition teams. He has the skill but if he isn't protected by Refs then he will get a regular battering. Leeds put 3 markers on him in the 2nd half and gave him a clattering, even before he was crudely taken out for KLL's great free kick.

Leeds were poor and 1st half in particular stuck rigidly to a narrow formation that gave us ridiculous space to move the ball around, in which Teixeira revelled. I cannot recall another Championship side being so naïve in repeatedly allowing this and not closing us down. I suspect he will get fewer chances against most opposition and we need to capitalise on these when they arise. Hopefully the rest of the team will tune into his wavelength. I was very encouraged to see him alongside CMS and KLL late on when we looked very dangerous on the break. I hope we get to see that more often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here