Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leeds Away

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
So, some 27 months since my last Albion game, at Bramall Lane, I will finally be seeing them again in the flesh at b Elland Road.
This would've been unthinkable pre-2019 as I'd been a STH for 20 years...

Am I looking forward to it? Not really, largely thanks to the stupid KO time/day.
Also I know there is some sort of cage now a la Millwall, though I'm unclear if it's avoidable after the match?

Anyway, the point of this email is to stress that apart from the area around the ground and some of their contingent, Leeds is a wonderful city.
I'm aware that this is missed by a lot of football fans who only see that area, then head home again.
If anyone has any questions or recommendations for place to go, including the wider area, then please do let me know.
Aware there are several other locals on here too.

There are so many good choices for pubs in the city centre, so maybe focus on a particular area. Off the top of my head:

Around the canal (south of the station out of the side entrance) there are some great pubs including:
- The Hop
- Water Lane Boathouse
- The Crosskeys
- The Midnight Bell
- Northern Monk

To the north of the station, from the main entrance (i.e. central city centre):
- Tapped Leeds
- Banker's Cat
- Head of Steam
- Whitelocks
- Turks Head
- Leeds Brewery tap

Further to the east of the city centre:
- Wapentake
- Duck & Drake
- Lamb & Flag
- The Adelphi
- Brownhill & Co
- Crowd of Favours

City centre north:
- Townhall Tavern
- Salt
- Assembly Underground
- Headrow House
- Head of Steam (yes there are two)

There are lots of cool music-bars to the north-east of the city centre, around Merrion Street, particularly:
- The Belgrave (legendary, has a great roof terrace)
- Verve
- Mean-Eyed Car Bar

Sure I have missed many, including the Blue Parrot.

In the surrounding area there are some great places to visit, with the Dales nearby, and there are lots of watering holes in Otley, Skipton, Ilkey, Harrogate, Shipley/Saltaire, etc.

If any of you are bringing your kiddiewinks, there is an owl trail around the city centre which I did with my daughters yesterday (http://www.leedsowltrail.com/)
The City Museum is also very child-friendly.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There are so many good choices for pubs in the city centre, so maybe focus on a particular area. Off the top of my head:

Around the canal (south of the station out of the side entrance) there are some great pubs including:
- The Hop
- Water Lane Boathouse
- The Crosskeys
- The Midnight Bell
- Northern Monkey

Slight edit on the last pub, you’re welcome :)

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
So, some 27 months since my last Albion game, at Bramall Lane, I will finally be seeing them again in the flesh at b Elland Road.

Am I looking forward to it? Not really, largely thanks to the stupid KO time/day.
Also I know there is some sort of cage now a la Millwall, though I'm unclear if it's avoidable after the match?

Anyway, the point of this email is to stress that apart from the area around the ground and some of their contingent, Leeds is a wonderful city.
I'm aware that this is missed by a lot of football fans who only see that area, then head home again.
If anyone has any questions or recommendations for place to go, including the wider area, then please do let me know.

- The Hop
- Water Lane Boathouse
- The Crosskeys
- The Midnight Bell
- Northern Monk

- Tapped Leeds
- Banker's Cat
- Head of Steam
- Whitelocks
- Turks Head
- Leeds Brewery tap

- Wapentake
- Duck & Drake
- Lamb & Flag
- The Adelphi
- Brownhill & Co
- Crowd of Favours

City centre north:
- Townhall Tavern
- Salt
- Assembly Underground
- Headrow House

There are lots of cool music-bars to the north-east of the city centre, around Merrion Street, particularly:
- Verve
- Mean-Eyed Car Bar

In the surrounding area there are some great places to visit, with the Dales nearby, and there are lots of watering holes in Otley, Skipton, Ilkey, Harrogate, Shipley/Saltaire, etc.

If any of you are bringing your kiddiewinks, there is an owl trail around the city centre which I did with my daughters yesterday (http://www.leedsowltrail.com/)

I love The Duck and Drake ,so old school with some wonderful people .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

- The Hop
- Water Lane Boathouse
- The Crosskeys
- The Midnight Bell
- Northern Monk

- Tapped Leeds
- Banker's Cat
- Head of Steam
- Whitelocks
- Turks Head
- Leeds Brewery tap

- Wapentake
- Duck & Drake
- Lamb & Flag
- The Adelphi
- Brownhill & Co
- Crowd of Favours

City centre north:
- Townhall Tavern
- Salt
- Assembly Underground
- Headrow House

- Verve
- Mean-Eyed Car Bar

Last time I was up there was 20 years ago. And back then, Mojo was about the best -- and certainly the most distinctive -- cocktail bar in the country. Glad to see it's still going, and looking forward to checking it out again.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

- The Hop
- Water Lane Boathouse
- The Crosskeys
- The Midnight Bell
- Northern Monk

- Tapped Leeds
- Banker's Cat
- Head of Steam
- Whitelocks
- Turks Head
- Leeds Brewery tap

- Wapentake
- Duck & Drake
- Lamb & Flag
- The Adelphi
- Brownhill & Co
- Crowd of Favours

City centre north:
- Townhall Tavern
- Salt
- Assembly Underground
- Headrow House

- Verve
- Mean-Eyed Car Bar

I worked in Leeds for a number of years and spent quite a few Friday lunchtimes in the Townhall Tavern. Great pub.
Leeds is a nice city and with some great countryside just outside it.
Still hope we thrash the ‘Champions of Europe’.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to it...Mrs D has grasped the opportunity of a weekend away and shopping trip, we're driving up Saturday and then City Centre for her on Sunday whilst I walk to the ground after brunch with a (Dirty Leeds) pal :D

Can't recall a cage last time I was there, just walked straight out and after queuing for a while got on the (very rowdy, they'd won and spent the game telling us we'd 'fook it oop', when in fact of course, as usual, they did) shuttle bus back to the centre.

BrightonDk

Mar 21, 2022
Thank you for posting this info.
Looking forward to my
First trip to Elland road,i have a hotel booking for 1 night and on the Monday morning i will take the train to York and in the afternoon train back to London.🇩🇰

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Just realised that I bounced the wrong thread! :blush:

This is the one with all the info for you...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Dirty Leeds (not the city) but thought this was worth a mention.

[tweet]1518683336813723649[/tweet]

Bouncing this, as they're on 96 yellows now. Newcastle a distant second on 79.

They're wearing a special commemorative kit on Saturday:

images

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Quick question - sorry not been to Elland Road before. It seems that there are a few car parks near Elland Road - is it generally easy to find parking?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For various reasons, I rarely attend games these days. But I'm giving this one a go as I will be in Yorkshire.

I've worked out that I have visited 81 league teams (as they were at the time) with Albion, but Elland Road has always been missed.

I'm hoping to see Sussex play at Grace Road a couple of days before. I have a number of work colleagues I've never met in Yorkshire, but talked for hours over the internet video thingy, so I'm making a week of it.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Hopefully the pubs of Beeston will be serving lunch in a ginormous Yorkie Pud washed down with flying chairs and pool cues :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here