should welbeck have had a penalty?

• penalty

• no penalty

Results are only viewable after voting.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was a blatant penalty. Everyone in the BT studio said the same apart from former ref Peter Walton. He said it was a foul but not a clear enough error for VAR to intervene. BS. He was screamed at for about 5 minutes . Referees are a strange breed. Will be interested to see what Dermot Gallagher has to say about it on Monday.
Is that Walton who awarded a penalty to Southampton when the foul was 3 yards outside the penalty area?

Resulted in Tanno being sent off.

Another shocking ex referee who’s stealing a living…..

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Of course he wasn't perfect - Brighton didnt win the game...
First of all: I think the ref was excellent tonight, best performer on the pitch. Should get mentioned.

That VAR call however... don't understand it. Clear penalty unless I'm missing something in the relation between playing the advantage and VAR calls.
I actually assumed your first paragraph was said in jest Swanny- it was, Shirley. The pen is the clearest exhibit of a blatant error but he was far too lenient on challenges too. A later poster suggested he avoided decisions and I would agree. He certainly wasn’t excellent!

Jimmy Grimble

Not one to go in on refs but that is astonishingly bad. Top 5 worst I’ve seen easily.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Penalty couldn't have been more obvious.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
As I said on another thread, it does depend which replays they’re shown. Not particularly keen to defend Lee Mason given his general hopelessness but there was only one angle that made it absolutely obvious Welbeck was fouled. Watching abroad, that was the last one of about 6 shown on the live broadcast (which they’re not watching). It’s just possible he wasn’t shown it. Would be interesting to know.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
As I said on another thread, it does depend which replays they’re shown. Not particularly keen to defend Lee Mason given his general hopelessness but there was only one angle that made it absolutely obvious Welbeck was fouled. Watching abroad, that was the last one of about 6 shown on the live broadcast (which they’re not watching). It’s just possible he wasn’t shown it. Would be interesting to know.
No excuse. If the angle wasn't clear enough for him to make a decision, he should've sent the ref to the monitor.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Watching abroad most angles didn't show it and I missed seeing it the only time it was shown because I was looking at the wrong leg. It seemed like a very rushed decision too. I suspect he hasn't been shown a great angle and just missed seeing it. Because it is a 100% penalty.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No excuse. If the angle wasn't clear enough for him to make a decision, he should've sent the ref to the monitor.
Not sure VAR can do that though. If the angle’s not clear enough, wasting more time by sending the ref to look at an inconclusive replay would go down like a lead balloon. There really was only one angle that made the mistake ‘clear and obvious’. Even then, as a neutral, you might wonder whether Welbeck made a meal of the contact. I think it was a penalty all day long but can see how they might have missed it.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We’d have won the game if this blatant penalty was given imo - shocking that even with technology they can’t get these clear cut decisions right.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is the kind of challenge that I wish wasn't a penalty but these are given all the time. I wonder if his going down easily (and fairly theatrically) affected the refs decision.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It was a blatant penalty. Everyone in the BT studio said the same apart from former ref Peter Walton. He said it was a foul but not a clear enough error for VAR to intervene. BS. He was screamed at for about 5 minutes . Referees are a strange breed. Will be interested to see what Dermot Gallagher has to say about it on Monday.
Good enough for me, then - penalty.

If not, then it just reaffirms that VAR and its 'clear and obvious errors' thing is absolute nonsense. Mind you, without it we hadn't been given a penalty, either, so the ref can do one too!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Watching abroad most angles didn't show it and I missed seeing it the only time it was shown because I was looking at the wrong leg. It seemed like a very rushed decision too. I suspect he hasn't been shown a great angle and just missed seeing it. Because it is a 100% penalty.
A rushed VAR decision? What a nicely novelty! Normally they take about five minutes 🤣

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is the kind of challenge that I wish wasn't a penalty but these are given all the time. I wonder if his going down easily (and fairly theatrically) affected the refs decision.
You’re running and someone comes from the side, standing on your boot, so you decide to fall theatrically? Do you really think in that split atom of a second, you’ll make it look dramatic?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here