Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leave Your Mobile Phone at Home Day

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Added to which, anyone who can ditch their mobile for the day at work is either in a very lowly position or the head of the company!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My job involves writing apps for mobile phones. Even if I left mine at home, I'd still have at least two on my desk.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My iphone totally broke last year and I couldn't get it fixed for a few days. Day 1 was hell. The rest were magical. My boss was less than impressed.

A day?

Apple had mine for 2 hours yesterday and it felt as if someone had chopped my arm off. Suddenly a loose arrangement to "meet up in North Laine around 12" became difficult. Where were we meeting and when specifically*? Fortunately I had my MacBook Air with me so I could send a quick text instruction to email me with the when/where before Apple took my phone away.

(* - The Eagle at 12:15 as it happens. A few nice pints of Yardbird and lots of Albion chat in case you're interested.)

You're basically retired, aren't you?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
As I can't get a Villa ticket, I'm going to leave my phone at home all day and go for a long bike ride to avoid all the razzamatazz and anguish. Hopefully I'll avoid all sports news until early evening.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On a slightly different angle, we leave our phones at home, when up allotment.
The proverbial peace and quiet, only to see be disturbed by some gimp yakking on theirs as if they're in the stock exchange :angry:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And that, surely, is up there with the best of the 1st World, 21st Century quotes :clap2:

Ha, I suppose it does sound a bit like that until you see the people on their phone non stop. I think not looking at one's phone for between 5 and 7 hours at a time during the day is a relatively long time. We are talking about days off though, at work I'm constantly on the ****ing thing, ordering materials, chasing suppliers and contractors. It never ends. But on day's off, it can sit in the kitchen all day without being thought of.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I drove to Eastbourne and back a couple of years ago, but forgot to take my phone with me. The car broke down on the hill climbing up out of Eastbourne, just before the golf course. I couldn't phone the AA or anyone. I was about to walk further up to the golf club to ask them if I could use their phone, but fortunately a retired couple saw me stranded and stopped. I borrowed their mobile to ring my husband, who then called the breakdown for me. Fortunately, there was a fair bit of traffic around, but it could have been a more isolated spot. I won't go out without my phone if I can help it.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Nope, got way too much going on outside of work to be without it. It's more of a just in case thing really, but if shit hit the fan and I didn't have my phone, it'd be bad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Every day, for the foreseeable future, is a phone free day for 12 year old Jnr Stat.

#FilthyCreep. :lol:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Added to which, anyone who can ditch their mobile for the day at work is either in a very lowly position or the head of the company!

Or working in a job which doesn't require access to a phone, company or otherwise.

I do agree with the dribbling idiot comment though. I was in the pub the other day having a meal and this couple on the table opposite literally sat across from each other staring at their phones, not talking to each other. Their food arrived, phones go down, they eat in silence, finish and then pick up their phones again. I didn't see one single word uttered between them.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Do we really believe those backward f.ucks who claim they don't own a mobile phone?

Thanks for the kind words. Never wanted one, don't particularly need one, still seem to function OK and run an active social life. I'd suggest anybody who's incapable of functioning like a normal human without one is backward, not the reverse.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Or working in a job which doesn't require access to a phone, company or otherwise.

I do agree with the dribbling idiot comment though. I was in the pub the other day having a meal and this couple on the table opposite literally sat across from each other staring at their phones, not talking to each other. Their food arrived, phones go down, they eat in silence, finish and then pick up their phones again. I didn't see one single word uttered between them.

You should have come over and said Hello.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here