Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leave a keeper off the bench

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Just an observation from watching the build up to the Leeds v Saints game that neither side have a keeper on the bench and have 5 outfield options. With the squad size and quality players missing out on the 16 is it time we did the same? No doubt it's a gamble but one worth taking?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If you take this approach, I think you need an outfield player in the squad who can play in goal.

Southampton & Leeds may have such a person and we don't?

Goalies rarely get injured, yes but they sometimes do get sent off.

Besides, you can only use 3 subs so that "5th" man is unlikely to ever be used so may as well be a keeper.....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously Big Sam did it the other day. It certainly something that should be considered.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No way you can only use 3 from 5 subs so you pick a bench to cover every eventuality.

As rare as losing a keeper is I would hate to go into a game without backup.

Can you imagine the uproar if in the playoff final our keeper got injured after 10 minutes and we lost the game due to goal keeping errors.

The only way I would be happy with that is if we had an outfield player who the manager had faith in as a backup.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If I was managing against a team who decided not to have a sub goalkeeper, I know what my instructions would be.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
There used to be nothing more exiciting than a 5' 2" left back having to go in goal for the last 20 minutes!!!

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Just an observation from watching the build up to the Leeds v Saints game that neither side have a keeper on the bench and have 5 outfield options. With the squad size and quality players missing out on the 16 is it time we did the same? No doubt it's a gamble but one worth taking?

Why Gus insists on having Casper on the bench it beyond me. Any out field player could do a job.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'll get flamed but........I asked Gus about this back in September he said he would never not pick a back up keeper on the bench!

Brighton & Hove Albion: Poyet tells Brighton and Hove News ‘a back up keeper is always a must’
By Tim Hodges from the Amex Press Briefing

Gus Poyet revealed this morning that new signing Vincente Rodriguez had enjoyed his first few days of training with his new team mates.

Though the player was mindful that the temperature in Valencia in the last few days has topped 37 degrees, at Albion’s Falmer training ground it has been wet windy and drab though this has not subdued his enthusiasm and energy.

Poyet went on to say that the Spaniard would soon adapt to the pace of the English game.

The Albion boss suggested that he was taking each match as it comes, commenting on Bristol City’s likely threats but saying he was unsure of how Leeds and Leicester are likely to play.

When asked by Brighton and Hove News if he would ever consider not selecting a reserve goalkeeper and designating an outfield player as an emergency stopper, he categorically told me that he wouldn’t, jokingly going on to say that there were a few players who might think they were up to the mark, but not in his opinion.

Will Hoskins is 50/50 for Saturday’s trip to Ashton Gate and Will Buckley has trained all week. Tommy Elphick and Adam El Abd may not now return to first team training until October.

Poyet does not envisage making any loan signings except in the case of an emergency.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I'll get flamed but........I asked Gus about this back in September he said he would never not pick a back up keeper on the bench!

Brighton & Hove Albion: Poyet tells Brighton and Hove News ‘a back up keeper is always a must’
By Tim Hodges from the Amex Press Briefing

Gus Poyet revealed this morning that new signing Vincente Rodriguez had enjoyed his first few days of training with his new team mates.

Though the player was mindful that the temperature in Valencia in the last few days has topped 37 degrees, at Albion’s Falmer training ground it has been wet windy and drab though this has not subdued his enthusiasm and energy.

Poyet went on to say that the Spaniard would soon adapt to the pace of the English game.

The Albion boss suggested that he was taking each match as it comes, commenting on Bristol City’s likely threats but saying he was unsure of how Leeds and Leicester are likely to play.

When asked by Brighton and Hove News if he would ever consider not selecting a reserve goalkeeper and designating an outfield player as an emergency stopper, he categorically told me that he wouldn’t, jokingly going on to say that there were a few players who might think they were up to the mark, but not in his opinion.

Will Hoskins is 50/50 for Saturday’s trip to Ashton Gate and Will Buckley has trained all week. Tommy Elphick and Adam El Abd may not now return to first team training until October.

Poyet does not envisage making any loan signings except in the case of an emergency.

?? Not quite sure about the point there but,

I agree with some of what has been said that perhaps worthwhile having an outfield player who could play in goal in an emergency.

The last case in point, as I remember however, was against the thugs of Southampton at Withdean last April when Casper had to be taken off .

So it is an interesting debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here