Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Le Tour de France

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
OMG! He is human.

Just watched yesterday's highlights.

But what a lovely guy Pogacar is. So gracious and honest about himself and other riders.

Agreed.

He wasn't quite so gracious at this year's Tour of Flanders though :lol:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ton Pidcock descending is just beautiful to watch. Descending is a special blend of skill and daring and one of my favourite things in races.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Ton Pidcock descending is just beautiful to watch. Descending is a special blend of skill and daring and one of my favourite things in races.

Mine too....used to really annoy me "back in the day" when Ch4 would go to an ad break as a summit was crossed, and pretty much ignore all the descending off the mountain.
A wonderful aspect of the sport that doesn't often get the credit it deserves imo - but thank god for GCN+ and being able to watch every metre of each stage....amazing stuff.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mine too....used to really annoy me "back in the day" when Ch4 would go to an ad break as a summit was crossed, and pretty much ignore all the descending off the mountain.
A wonderful aspect of the sport that doesn't often get the credit it deserves imo - but thank god for GCN+ and being able to watch every metre of each stage....amazing stuff.

A lot of risk filming it though I would imagine, very high speed, gaps opening and closing much more quickly, less ability to correct mistakes etc. Can see why the TV directors don't always have descent footage to switch to.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot of risk filming it though I would imagine, very high speed, gaps opening and closing much more quickly, less ability to correct mistakes etc. Can see why the TV directors don't always have descent footage to switch to.

Sean Kelly (you probably heard it) said his record descent speed was 134kmh, 120 kmh fairly common.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree on the Pogacar sentiment. He’s clearly a prodigious talent, and I love seeing him race - I just wish there was someone else to give him a run for his money.

On another note, does anyone else feel that Froome being there is a waste of a slot for some new rider.

Froome should have bowed out a champion, instead I fear he’ll do nothing. Will we see him in a break or working for someone else? Is he there because he thinks he can win a stage.

It’s all a bit embarrassing. Like seeing your dad out clubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm delighted to see that Chris Froome has been reading NSC for some motivation. :blush:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sean Kelly (you probably heard it) said his record descent speed was 134kmh, 120 kmh fairly common.

Well, yes, it's a reeeal killa of a climb beforehand especially if you're after the bonifications at the top. And of course you've got reeeal danger ones coming at you from behind. My God it can be reeealy tough!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I know, imagine being sat backwards on a motorbike with a camera on your shoulder going that speed! I admire them as much as the riders. Couple of shots just now as the riders rapidly catch the bike as it struggles to stay in front of them.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Insane.

Also depressing watching van Aert effortlessly go up Col de la Croix Fer at my average speed on the flat. Astonishing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Well, yes, it's a reeeal killa of a climb beforehand especially if you're after the bonifications at the top. And of course you've got reeeal danger ones coming at you from behind. My God it can be reeealy tough!

I imagine he regularly reached one hundred and terty tree km on descents..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Insane.

Also depressing watching van Aert effortlessly go up Col de la Croix Fer at my average speed on the flat. Astonishing.

I’m in awe when they take on refreshments, effortlessly with hands free … whilst ascending colossal mountains.

Close camera shots reveal a mere 7%.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not half as iconic as his Brabantse Pijl victory:wink:
That one was indeed epic. Absolutely brilliant finale!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here