Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LCD TV Repair Suggestions please...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
We bought a phillips 37" LCD TV in late 2007 (with a 3 year warranty) from Empire Direct which has developed this annoying black smudge / blur which covers about 1/3rd of the screen. Empire Direct have subsequently gone bust and we're making a claim through my credit card company (KPMG the administrators say there will be no funds for such claims), not holding out much hope but worth a shot.

Anyhow in the interim, I need someone to quote to repair it. Anyone have any local recommendations? So far only tried Status in Southwick (we're in Shoreham) and they don't fix them....

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
skip5_240407_470x350.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We bought a phillips 37" LCD TV in late 2007 (with a 3 year warranty) from Empire Direct which has developed this annoying black smudge / blur which covers about 1/3rd of the screen.

I'd try a priest. Sounds like its haunted.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Probably will be for the skip Wozza. Annoying though as the thing is only just over 2.5 years old...

Thanks ClippedGull will look into them....

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Is it worth getting it repaired ?

They are so cheap now....says the man with a 32" old monster still !....ggrrr
I can't wait for the kids to be a bit older so i can upgrade!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Is it worth getting it repaired ?

They are so cheap now....says the man with a 32" old monster still !....ggrrr
I can't wait for the kids to be a bit older so i can upgrade!

Thats the thing, we spent £750 on it, but to get the same spec now would be quite a bit cheaper I'd think...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Which bits of you are broken? (in the nicest possible way ;-))

The colour went 'funny'. All pinkish, lost the green I guess - maybe the controller card. Comes and goes - but bought a new one anyway. It is still under 5 year warranty from John Lewis, so I gues they'll replace, but I fancied a bigger one anyway.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The colour went 'funny'. All pinkish, lost the green I guess - maybe the controller card. Comes and goes - but bought a new one anyway. It is still under 5 year warranty from John Lewis, so I gues they'll replace, but I fancied a bigger one anyway.

Ours comes and goes as well, right now cbeebies is perfect (in a manner of speaking)...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It'll be the inverter board. Usually the specific piece is rather expensive (and god forbid if its the actual screen, you're f***ed)

Go on ebay search for the make and model of your telly

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Wouldn't it be easier for Arthur to accidentally knock into the TV causing it to fall over and break making a claim on the home contents insurance an easier route ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Ahem, Has no-one heard of Section 75 of the consumer credit act. If the company is unable to fulfil its contractual obligations then your card lender is jointly liable as long as the purchase was made on their credit card and is between £100 and £30,000. Have used this clause a number of times, very handy epically if a company goes tits up.

Call the card company up and claim thorough that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ahem, Has no-one heard of Section 75 of the consumer credit act. If the company is unable to fulfil its contractual obligations then your card lender is jointly liable as long as the purchase was made on their credit card and is between £100 and £30,000. Have used this clause a number of times, very handy epically if a company goes tits up.

Call the card company up and claim thorough that.

Just about to quote the same thing and find you beat me too it. The other thing will be to find out exactly what is the problem. The warranty may only be 3 years but you should expect that product to last longer than that as it must be of merchantable quality. Also, empire stores are just the retailer, you can claim against the manufacturer if it is an inherent defect. Having said that, I would pursue the claim against your credit card company in the first instance although you might have to stump up some money to get a report on the fault.

I had a problem with a Philips widescreen tv about 4 years ago. Was outside the warranty but there was an defect with the CRT. Currys (the retailer) eventually agreed to split the repair cost with Philips.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Whilst I didn't explicitly mention it at the top, the claim I mentioned I am making with my credit card is a section 75 claim. Thanks though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here