Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LCD or PLASMA tvs

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
wanting to buy a new tv, does anyone know which is better?

harryhillsnn3023x28_380606a.jpg

There's only one way to find out............FIIIIIIGHT!!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Get a plasma the picture definition is better.
Although some can be a bit noisy with the fans keeping them cool.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Plasmas are better if you want a big telly and have a lot of money. LCDs are bloody brilliant and pretty reasonable

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Plasma's do have slightly better picture quality. However, LCD's are alot lighter (in terms of weight), use alot less electricity and don't suffer from screen burn, which still blights all plasma's(despite what the idiots in comet will tell you!).

That said, if you're on a tight budget, get a plasma as the cheap LCD's you can get in Asda or Tesco's are shit and won't last longer than 4 years.

If you have a bit of dosh to spare then go for a 42" or above Sony Bravia or Samsung.

I've got a 46" Bravia and use it for HD, Digital, PS3 and a Wii and it's amazing!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm thinking about buying a new telly at the moment and Play have some pretty good deals on at the moment.

I'm torn between these two:

Sony
Samsung

What do you TV boffins reckon? Sony or Samsung?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a 37" Philips LCD, delighted with it. Our living room gets a lot of sunlight in the afternoons, but the matt screen on the LCD means I get ZERO reflections on it (which was the main selling factor for me, cos a glassy plasma screen would be reflection CENTRAL in my room).

Lovely sharp picture, vibrant colours, fabularse sound and marvellous scenes all included in the deal. Nice glossy black front to it as well, so it looks the shiz.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Personally Id say it all depends on what you get

a decent LCD will be better than a cheepo Plasma and vice versa

Panasonic Plasma and Samsung Lcd is pretty much the way to go these days ..

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Or nip into Richer Sounds.

Stumpy Tim

I have a 37" Philips LCD, delighted with it. Our living room gets a lot of sunlight in the afternoons, but the matt screen on the LCD means I get ZERO reflections on it (which was the main selling factor for me, cos a glassy plasma screen would be reflection CENTRAL in my room).

Lovely sharp picture, vibrant colours, fabularse sound and marvellous scenes all included in the deal. Nice glossy black front to it as well, so it looks the shiz.

Is the right answer. The biggest difference is that LCD is much better if you get a lot of sunshine... otherwise Plasma is better. I got an LCD and love it

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Plasmas handle Blacks and fast motion better than LCDs, but the only good plasmas are bloody expensive.
Cheap plasmas are shite, full stop.

Be careful with the Sony Bravias, as only the very top end models are any better that anyone else's, and you obviously pay more for those.

Value for money....... Sharp Aquos (LCD) as good as any LCD except the very best Sonys, and better that any cheap plasma.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Plasmas handle Blacks and fast motion better than LCDs, but the only good plasmas are bloody expensive.
Cheap plasmas are shite, full stop.

Be careful with the Sony Bravias, as only the very top end models are any better that anyone else's, and you obviously pay more for those.

Value for money....... Sharp Aquos (LCD) as good as any LCD except the very best Sonys, and better that any cheap plasma.

Yes the cheap sony Bravias are not even made by sony just baged up as sonys,
stay clear

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
We have got a top range 42" sony LCD, 2 months old, and its fantastic. Proper 1080p with motion flow which is better for watching fast sport eg football.

Our daughter has epilepsy and we have been advised that plasma screens can have a slight flicker which can trigger seizures, the same goes for the LCD tvs which haven't got full 1080p HD.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here