Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lazar Samardzic

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
File under absolute horseshit.

There’s no way on earth we’d operate like this, it’s simply not the Albion way.

He’s most likely not a legitimate target, and yes our good name is being used to drive a better deal for agent and player elsewhere.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Classic case of our name being used by an agent to jack a price up IMHO, nothing in it

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

He’s most likely not a legitimate target, and yes our good name is being used to drive a better deal for agent and player elsewhere.

Didn't we hijack Ansu Fati after Spurs had agreed a deal?

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Obviously, we have no idea what his personal circumstances are and he may well want to stay in Italy due to family reasons. But from a career progression perspective, I cant help but think that we are more attractive proposition than Napoli. We have a track record of developing players but also importantly not standing in the players way, if the opportunity comes to make the next step. Plus there's the added exposure of playing in the Premier League as opposed to Serie A

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Would it be a hijack? He's clearly been for sale since the summer at least, we're clearly aware of basically every footballer on the planet, and could easily have had much earlier contact with the agent. Things have shifted with his potential move to first Inter, then Napoli, so wouldn't be surprised if we enquired at that point. Does seem that the answer was 'no' though.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Obviously, we have no idea what his personal circumstances are and he may well want to stay in Italy due to family reasons. But from a career progression perspective, I cant help but think that we are more attractive proposition than Napoli. We have a track record of developing players but also importantly not standing in the players if the opportunity comes to make the next step. Plus there's the added exposure of playing in the Premier League as opposed to Serie A
Napoli? One of the best run clubs in Serie A and the current champions with some of the most fanatical fans in the world. With players in their squad currently such as Kvaratskhelia, Osimhen, Raspadori, Di Lorenzo and Zielinski. Home of Maradona and one of the most historic and storied clubs in Italy and Europe and located in a great, cosmopolitan city in one of the most beautiful parts of the world in Campania and on the edge of the Amalfi coast.

Now we've come a long way and Napoli are not having a great season this time but even as a Brighton fan, given a choice between the two, I've already bought a villa in Sorrento!

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Napoli? One of the best run clubs in Serie A and the current champions with some of the most fanatical fans in the world. With players in their squad currently such as Kvaratskhelia, Osimhen, Raspadori, Di Lorenzo and Zielinski. Home of Maradona and one of the most historic and storied clubs in Italy and Europe and located in a great, cosmopolitan city in one of the most beautiful parts of the world in Campania and on the edge of the Amalfi coast.

Now we've come a long way and Napoli are not having a great season this time but even as a Brighton fan, given a choice between the two, I've already bought a villa in Sorrento!
Fair points, I wasn't saying that they we are a bigger club than them or a more attractive place to go. Just that we have a good track record of helping players to develop further and progress their careers. No disrespect to Napoli, they are indeed a great club, but they don't often sell their big stars. I guess it depends on the individual goals of the player.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

I’m not sure if "one of the best run clubs in Serie A" is a very high bar. I’m not really across Serie A but I listen to all the usual podcasts and the message recently seems to be that it’s all gone to pot at Napoli with clumsy coaching appointments, botched transfers, a plunge in form, their big stars being constant transfer targets, and a lot of anger and frustration among "the most fanatical [and impatient] fans in the world". But we can at least agree that the Amalfi coast is glorious. The pizza is nice too.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

You make good points, but I think the choice between the two clubs isn't as wide as you are making out. The lure of the PL is massive and as others have reasoned, we are well placed in the PL pack to lure a young player.

That said, I agree with posters above the most likely outcome is that this is a player we have no interest in at all and this is the agent trying to bump up a signing on fee by using our good name like that of a common whore.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You make good points, but I think the choice between the two clubs isn't as wide as you are making out. The lure of the PL is massive and as others have reasoned, we are well placed in the PL pack to lure a young player.

That said, I agree with posters above the most likely outcome is that this is a player we have no interest in at all and this is the agent trying to bump up a signing on fee by using our good name like that of a common whore.
Also worth bearing in mind that Napoli are an absolute mess this season and their owner is a loon

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Another example of the pull of the Prem is this young Romanian CB seemingly choosing Spurs over Bayern.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Calc...on-si-sblocca.shtml?vclk=modulo-calciomercato

Article in Gazzetta from this morning saying we are ready with an offer but Napoli still favourites.

Translation:

It thundered so much that it rained. Thus, in a negotiation that has been going on for weeks, Napoli now has to face the inclusion of another club for Lazar Samardzic. Brighton, in fact, has started talks with Udinese, a few days after the confrontation that De Laurentiis and Pozzo had in Marbella, Spain. The English have ready an offer of 20 million euros plus 5 million in bonuses, an amount that would find favor with the Bianconeri, as already emerged in the comparison between the presidents. The agreement between the clubs, however, is not as central as the agreement to be reached with the player's father, Mladen. It is on this aspect that the accelerated train is needed, which for now does not arrive from Castel Volturno. We are looking for a balance on salary, commissions and image rights. Napoli is ahead in Samardzic's preferences for now, probably due to employment prospects and regular participation in European competitions, but it is not certain that this will be the case for a long time. The suggestion of the Premier League, between high wages and the charm of the championship, is common to many players. However, the appearance of a new competitor can further slow down operations. There is no margin, however, to conclude a double purchase with the addition of Neuhen Perez: they are, therefore, unrelated issues.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Obviously, we have no idea what his personal circumstances are and he may well want to stay in Italy due to family reasons. But from a career progression perspective, I cant help but think that we are more attractive proposition than Napoli. We have a track record of developing players but also importantly not standing in the players way, if the opportunity comes to make the next step. Plus there's the added exposure of playing in the Premier League as opposed to Serie A
Napoli, Home of Maradona, recent Serie A winners, champions league, a big club in great city on a beautiful part of the Italian coast.

Unless he prefers the PL we are not a more attractive option without the blue tinted specs on.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’m not sure if "one of the best run clubs in Serie A" is a very high bar. I’m not really across Serie A but I listen to all the usual podcasts and the message recently seems to be that it’s all gone to pot at Napoli with clumsy coaching appointments, botched transfers, a plunge in form, their big stars being constant transfer targets, and a lot of anger and frustration among "the most fanatical [and impatient] fans in the world". But we can at least agree that the Amalfi coast is glorious. The pizza is nice too.
You are right in being one of the best run clubs in Serie A is not a high bar, one of the reasons I love Italian football is the 'characters' they have running the clubs there and De Laurentiis is certainly one of those characters! In fairness to him though he has done quite well with Napoli over the years and made some good business and football decisions. He is an absolute tight arse though and after upsetting Spaletti and losing him, his last two managerial appointments (Garcia and Mazzari) have been cheap disasters. They've still got a very good squad though, money to spend and if he gets his next appointment right (probably Conte), I expect them to be back up there again.

I am biased though as I love Italian football, Napoli and Roma are probably my two favourite clubs after the Albion and the Amalfi Coast is my favourite place in the world!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Napoli, Home of Maradona, recent Serie A winners, champions league, a big club in great city on a beautiful part of the Italian coast.

Unless he prefers the PL we are not a more attractive option without the blue tinted specs on.
That’s the thing though.

We’d arguably pay more too.

Didn’t Spuds just beat Bayern to a Romanian? The only reason they are doing that (they never win anything) is because they play in the EPL!

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023

I don’t think young players are drawn to a place because it has nice scenery. As for the other things, most of those are ephemeral. Napoli are having a terrible season in several ways, and are currently outside the European places. They are indeed a historically 'bigger club' than Brighton but don’t underestimate the pull of the PL to overseas players and overseas media. Barco was quoted just this week saying that it was his dream to play in the PL. All that said, I don’t think it’s Brighton’s style to hijack a transfer and I’m not even saying that I particularly want him to join. Just pointing out that Napoli vs a PL side currently doing well isn’t that obvious a decision to a young player keen to advance his career.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here