Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lawrenson and Ward

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Check out Messi’s goal scoring record at Barca. Him and Ronaldo are 100% better than Cruyff (one of the all time overrated players along with Pele) and Zidane and they’re actually better than Maradona too because he ****ed a lot of his career with bad life choices. Messi & Ronaldo are the perfect pros.

We shall discuss this later. ???

:wink:

(Pele, pound for pound, year for year, with his 655 goals from 700 game, insane wizardry and longevity is the best player ever in my book)

Edit, Ronaldo and Messi have better stats. But they didn't have to put up with this:

https://youtu.be/9OtnR06Z3EY

Last edited:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I think it’s very difficult to make comparisons with Ward and our more recent strikers - not least because the pitches back in the 70s were atrocious compared to the bowling greens that they play on now. For the older supporters like me there’s definitely an emotional attachment to players like Ward and Zamora who lifted the club from perpetual lower league mediocrity to giving us belief that we could rise to the top division. For that reason they will always be heroes- doesn’t matter to me whether they would feature in our best ever 11.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Although the Ward/ Robinson partnership did nothing really I would have relished the Welbeck / Ward one

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
They are not any more though are they?

For what its worth, I think Lawrenson is indisputably the best player ever to play for Brighton. Wardy was a true legend - perhaps the biggest legend in my lifetime but hard to make the case for him being the second best player we've ever had. Did anybody see Tommy Cook play?

Last edited:

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Welbeck's England career was limited by injuries, which have only just been sorted. He'd have a good chance now if he was young. That he's no longer an option for England, doesn't mean he's not a good player.

Missing Messi and Ronaldo from your list suggests that your one of those nostalgic fellas that think everything was better in the past.

I think you are seduced by the perfect pitches and square netting,if it looks good it must be

Ronaldo certainly top 10

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Let's not forget Brian Horton too. I think that team lost a part of its soul when he was sold.
Lawrenson was absolute class.
Ward was pure excitement. Probably not the complete striker but absolutely terrorised div 3 defenders and for his record breaking season will always be a legend.

Didn’t Lawrenson himself say that Albion would miss Nobby more than himself, if he left the club?
Fantastic players for the Albion, all three of them.
Happy times.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you are seduced by the perfect pitches and square netting,if it looks good it must be

Ronaldo certainly top 10
It's not just about the look, check their stats. In leagues where other top players do well, they've done a lot better, and for a very long time.

Maybe you see the perfect pitches and assume it must be so easy now, but that also applies to other top players, and they don't do so well. Also the general standard of opposition has improved over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here