Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lawn growing

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I've had a lot if success in our new garden renovating the lawn and had it like a bowling green by late spring into early summer but its taken a real battering during the drought.

Anyone got any advise on some organic methods for greening it up, its looking much better with the recent rain and seaweed fertiliser. This is my first experience of such a hot dry summer.

The attached pictures are June, July and yesterday.

Attachments

• 20220610_150352.jpg
    20220610_150352.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 177
  • 20220531_190549.jpg
    20220531_190549.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 166
  • 20220821_191743.jpg
    20220821_191743.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 169

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've had a lot if success in our new garden renovating the lawn and had it like a bowling green by late spring into early summer but its taken a real battering during the drought.

Anyone got any advise on some organic methods for greening it up, its looking much better with the recent rain and seaweed fertiliser. This is my first experience of such a hot dry summer.

The attached pictures are June, July and yesterday.

Lovely garden.
A few heavy showers will have you on your way again. Whatever you did to get your lawn like it looks in the first photo, repeat any operations at the same time of year again. You'll be amazed at what your grass will do in October and November without doing much to it. A scarification in mid-September would be beneficial to rake out any dead grass. If you do feed it soon, make sure you use an autumn fertiliser which is high in phosphate and low in nitrogen, otherwise the grass will grow fast, leggy, and become prone to fungal disease.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Lovely garden.
A few heavy showers will have you on your way again. Whatever you did to get your lawn like it looks in the first photo, repeat any operations at the same time of year again. You'll be amazed at what your grass will do in October and November without doing much to it. A scarification in mid-September would be beneficial to rake out any dead grass. If you do feed it soon, make sure you use an autumn fertiliser which is high in phosphate and low in nitrogen, otherwise the grass will grow fast, leggy, and become prone to fungal disease.

Thank you very much. I feel confident in my autumn care practises but after all my hours of effort its such a shame to see it suffering now. I guess I'll just have to get though the next month before scarifying and raking.

I did the hollow tining in late September and whilst it felt pretty brutal it definitely benefitted the following spring.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thank you very much. I feel confident in my autumn care practises but after all my hours of effort its such a shame to see it suffering now. I guess I'll just have to get though the next month before scarifying and raking.

I did the hollow tining in late September and whilst it felt pretty brutal it definitely benefitted the following spring.

Your lawn looks amazing compared to most including my lawn which is mainly a lifeless dry yellow with dead moss patches. I suspect your renovated lawn got watered plenty before the worst heat came? The shade has also really helped your lawn.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
i’m looking to drastically change my garden. To reduce the amount of lawn. To make 2 - 3 new flower beds, probably with plants more drought resistant and needing less watering/weeding. Make some new paths, and also to lay some nice new turf as I’ve given up with mine, I just cannot rid it of red thread no matter what I’ve tried and also professional green contractors who likewise can’t get rid.

I’ve been reading a lot on ‘no dig’ gardening and this is something I’m keen to try.

I’ve access to virtually unlimited amounts of cardboard which when going no dig, is used to cover over whatever is already there, and then covered with a good few inches of soil/compost and plants put into that.

What I’m wondering is that if I put in lawn edging down on top of existing grass, fill the gaps between with 2-3 inches of good soil and lay new turn on top for the lawn areas, and where I want gravel paths, put a weed membrane on top of the cardboard and fill with 2-3 inches of granite chips.

In other words virtually covering the whole area with card, lawn edge what would be between paths, lawns and flower bedding and going over the list with the correct medium for purpose.

Any ideas if this would produce decent results at all. I’m fed up with keep chasing shadows.

By the way the area is around 60’ x 50’, heavy clay and south facing with very little shade.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Your lawn looks amazing compared to most including my lawn which is mainly a lifeless dry yellow with dead moss patches. I suspect your renovated lawn got watered plenty before the worst heat came? The shade has also really helped your lawn.

I have watered heavily at least twice a week but its been very dry in Dorset. The garden is west facing but surrounded by mature trees so does get a fair amount of dappled shade.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have watered heavily at least twice a week but its been very dry in Dorset. The garden is west facing but surrounded by mature trees so does get a fair amount of dappled shade.

We’ve got one significant tree, a mature Whitebeam shading part of our lawn from the afternoon sun. That part of the lawn looks so much better, even before last week’s rain I could see ….. green grass!

Just shows that nature knows best. Exposed ornamental/utility lawns are a false environment, vulnerable to these increasingly hot and dry summers.

My newest lawn looked amazing 5 years ago, these summer droughts have altered that.

Looking to renovate this autumn once reliable rain arrives.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
i’m looking to drastically change my garden. To reduce the amount of lawn. To make 2 - 3 new flower beds, probably with plants more drought resistant and needing less watering/weeding. Make some new paths, and also to lay some nice new turf as I’ve given up with mine, I just cannot rid it of red thread no matter what I’ve tried and also professional green contractors who likewise can’t get rid.

I’ve been reading a lot on ‘no dig’ gardening and this is something I’m keen to try.

I’ve access to virtually unlimited amounts of cardboard which when going no dig, is used to cover over whatever is already there, and then covered with a good few inches of soil/compost and plants put into that.

What I’m wondering is that if I put in lawn edging down on top of existing grass, fill the gaps between with 2-3 inches of good soil and lay new turn on top for the lawn areas, and where I want gravel paths, put a weed membrane on top of the cardboard and fill with 2-3 inches of granite chips.

In other words virtually covering the whole area with card, lawn edge what would be between paths, lawns and flower bedding and going over the list with the correct medium for purpose.

Any ideas if this would produce decent results at all. I’m fed up with keep chasing shadows.

By the way the area is around 60’ x 50’, heavy clay and south facing with very little shade.

I don't know much about no dig gardening but having just spent 6 months renovating a large mature garden I'd definitely recommend sketching your ideas on paper first and see how you feel about them at later date. I moved 5 tonnes of soil by wheelbarrow but then wasn't entirely happy with the result of that particular project.

I'd also aim to get the major work done in the winter so you have the backbone ready for spring time, I had January, Feb and March with big open borders and had time to consider planting schemes.

I've still got lots I want to do but I feel like most of my hard work was done in the winter.

Attachments

• 20210802_143841.jpg
    20210802_143841.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 93
  • 20220226_112749.jpg
    20220226_112749.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220722_125146.jpg
    20220722_125146.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 94
  • 20220706_210027.jpg
    20220706_210027.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 95
  • 20220531_190549.jpg
    20220531_190549.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 93

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We’ve got one significant tree, a mature Whitebeam shading part of our lawn from the afternoon sun. That part of the lawn looks so much better, even before last week’s rain I could see ….. green grass!

Just shows that nature knows best. Exposed ornamental/utility lawns are a false environment, vulnerable to these increasingly hot and dry summers.

My newest lawn looked amazing 5 years ago, these summer droughts have altered that.

Looking to renovate this autumn once reliable rain arrives.

I know the trend is moving away from manicured lawns but I love the contrast of a well kept lawn and full bursting borders with a natural planting scheme.

I'll keep persevering until the climate doesn't allow it and the water butts stop filling up!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know the trend is moving away from manicured lawns but I love the contrast of a well kept lawn and full bursting borders with a natural planting scheme.

I'll keep persevering until the climate doesn't allow it and the water butts stop filling up!

I agree.

I’ve increasingly thought about turning our two lawns into meadows (I’ve done this in other parts of the garden with success … it takes more work than just planting plugs or seeding). But can’t bring myself to throw in the lawns towel, yet.

May convert part on a smaller scale.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My back garden has a naturally-grown but "formal" lawn, with the edges cut "informally" into a left-long meadow grass area/surround, and with shorter paths cut thru the meadow grass. The "wilder-woodland" trye area is beyond the meadow grass, and in many cases behind informal hedges. Or it is normally but this year it has suffered due to lack of water, but I'm confident it'll recover after a bit of rain.

BTW reading this back it sounds expansive but my back garden is about 70' x 60' overall.

The front lawn is now almost entirely flower meadow developed over many years with hundreds of snake head fritillaries (from an original 12 bulbs planted 35 years ago), ox eyed daises, various wild flowers, pyramid and lesser spotted orchids, daffs and crocus. I cut it 2-3 times a year (final v short cut soon), edged by a mixed natural hedge (that I planted over 30 years ago) and fronted by the remains of a 16th-17th Century (protected) mound and hedge, that was used to herd cattle to the farm that used to be near here. Unfortunately the hedge has been infiltrated by rhododendrons over the years.

I'd add photos but there's not a lot to see right now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I opened this thread in anticipation of something quite different. Oh well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My back garden has a naturally-grown but "formal" lawn, with the edges cut "informally" into a left-long meadow grass area/surround, and with shorter paths cut thru the meadow grass. The "wilder-woodland" trye area is beyond the meadow grass, and in many cases behind informal hedges. Or it is normally but this year it has suffered due to lack of water, but I'm confident it'll recover after a bit of rain.

BTW reading this back it sounds expansive but my back garden is about 70' x 60' overall.

The front lawn is now almost entirely flower meadow developed over many years with hundreds of snake head fritillaries (from an original 12 bulbs planted 35 years ago), ox eyed daises, various wild flowers, pyramid and lesser spotted orchids, daffs and crocus. I cut it 2-3 times a year (final v short cut soon), edged by a mixed natural hedge (that I planted over 30 years ago) and fronted by the remains of a 16th-17th Century (protected) mound and hedge, that was used to herd cattle to the farm that used to be near here. Unfortunately the hedge has been infiltrated by rhododendrons over the years.

I'd add photos but there's not a lot to see right now.

Your front garden must have decent natural dampness for much of the year? I tried to grow Snakes Head Fritillaries (they’re gorgeous) in a shady part, bought from a reputable supplier, not one took. We’re on dry chalky soil, but I added lots of organic matter.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Aussies just think I’m nuts, trying to create a striped English looking lawn here. But combined with tropical colours and massive greenery it WILL look amazing when I get there. All the grey water goes to the garden along with water saved from rainfall on the house. What I need now is a decent cylinder mower with a roller that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, not easy here.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Your front garden must have decent natural dampness for much of the year? I tried to grow Snakes Head Fritillaries (they’re gorgeous) in a shady part, bought from a reputable supplier, not one took. We’re on dry chalky soil, but I added lots of organic matter.

The big oak tree in the front hedge keeps the grass down in the "lawn" due to the almost permanent shade, which in turn generates moss, which holds the moisture - and so it all seems to work together.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A little update from our lawn this spring. New cordless lawnmower does a very neat cut!
20230513_184730.jpg
20230513_174619.jpg

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Is anyone else noticing how rock hard (ahem) their lawn is...

I am watering mine every day and it's still solid. I have scarified the hard bald patches to try and seed and let the water soak through. I don't know if i can afford to use the sprinkler every day being on a water meter. I have already used up my water butt water.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is anyone else noticing how rock hard (ahem) their lawn is...

I am watering mine every day and it's still solid. I have scarified the hard bald patches to try and seed and let the water soak through. I don't know if i can afford to use the sprinkler every day being on a water meter. I have already used up my water butt water.
Maybe a bit different up here on the North Kent Coast. It's f***ing cold (a heady 14 degrees today). Not rained for a week but my lawn is lovely. I didn't mow in May till around 21st. Oh, and spot the Brighton flag fluttering in the breeze.

1685477359644.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here