Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

latest on bennett

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I think the only way Norwich would be able to afford Bennett is if they chucked in Hoolahan & Crofts PLUS £1million.

There's no way a club of Norwich's stature could afford Bennett on his own

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Would be good to hear Elliott say he wants to stay... that would be game over for the carrot munchers...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't we reject Russell Martin once? I'm sure I remember him being local to Sussex.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Do we reckon that, if Norwich offered to double his wages, we would offer to do the same? That seems key to me. Perhaps negotiations are ongoing. It was interesting that Ken Brown said he'd only had 2 hours sleep at our Amex presentation on Friday.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Do we reckon that, if Norwich offered to double his wages, we would offer to do the same? That seems key to me. Perhaps negotiations are ongoing. It was interesting that Ken Brown said he'd only had 2 hours sleep at our Amex presentation on Friday.

I don't think we would match Norwich's pay offer, but, we could say, if we don't get promoted we will let you talk to Championship/Premiership clubs in the summer if any approaches are made. That way he virtually guarantees himself Championship football at a minimum next season.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Norwich are 20 million in debt and trying hard to get in the premiership,that will backfire and we will overtake them as crippling debts takes its toll at norwich.

Just because norwich are having a great season that doesn't mean they can attempt to take the pi$$ out of us,i would bet with anyone that if we go up we will be above them next season.:thumbsup:

Norwich would be a step back in the long term

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't think we would match Norwich's pay offer, but, we could say, if we don't get promoted we will let you talk to Championship/Premiership clubs in the summer if any approaches are made. That way he virtually guarantees himself Championship football at a minimum next season.
I would guess our pay structure could compete with norwich no probs next season,probably better:)

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007

2 hours ! didn't think it took that long !

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
For a bit of context, we (Norwich) signed Andrew Surman in the close season for £1.2m, who is arguably a more established player than Elliott Bennett.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this saga... Both clubs are in a similar scenario, both looking to push on and seek promotion. Which will win out? Our desire to sign Elliott Bennett, or your desire to keep him?

For what it's worth, I think you'll probabaly keep hold of him (at least from Norwich), I don't think our wallet is big enough to prise him from you. However, as has been mentioned on here before, a lot of it comes down to the player as that is where the power lies.

Interesting times indeed...

Welcome d0mj4y. Yes interesting times indeed.

I've noticed Norwich have a distinct and sensible policy of acquiring their pick of the best up-and-coming talent and trying to bring them on...Surman, Simeon Jackson, Oli Johnson (although loaned back down the league), Holt and a certain Brighton purchase!

It has largely served you well and as a team in general, you have been a roaring success this season. Hats off to you guys!

Bennett is a very level-headed lad, ahead of his years, from what I can surmise and having transferred to us from Wolves when it was deemed his chances would be severely limited upon their promotion to the top flight, I could see him reflecting on how moving to Carrow Road might attract that very same problem IF you made it straight up to The Prem.

I don't presume to have ANY idea of his mindset or likely outlook on the matter, but would hazard a guess that he wouldn't be 'dazzled by the lights' too easily...will certainly be intriguing to see how this pans out but I know he does love it down here and he's working under a boss who is proving (and will continue to do so) very beneficial to his progress (right place / right time) and all that.

One thing is for sure, both the club itself and Gus will be desperate to hang on to him - and we are gladly in a much better position to do so from a financial / stadium point of view.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea

I like this idea.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Seems fair to me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here