Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest news from The Bevy.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I grew up living in Bevendean Crescent. We called the area Higher Bevendean. We got very uppity if someone called it Moulsecoomb

Godstar

Jan 18, 2012
Sodom..or is it Gomorrah!
Having been born & living my first 17 years in Hillside (50yds from the pub in fact) i can tell you i'm from Moulsecoomb, but the pub is sort of on the boundary with Higher Bev *spits nonchalantly*. And, back in the days of only 3 telly channels, my biggest source of entertainment was watching the pub from my bedroom window at closing time :)
I for one will be popping in there to show support for the scheme, as well as firing up a few old memories:thumbsup:

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
As a resident of the area, I class it as Higher Bevendean.

I would say you are correct, St Andrew's church is in Hillside and that has always been known as St Andrews Moulsecoomb.
When I was a kid I had a friend that lived in Hillside, this was further up the road from the church and not far from the pub, he always said he lived in Bevendean.

I wouldn't say that Moulscoomb station is in Moulsecoomb.
When I worked at ESCC, we were involved in planning and delivering the new station next to what was then Brighton Polytechnic. We were amazed when British Rail announced their intention to call the station Moulsecoomb. If a locality name had to be chosen, it should have been Hollingdean. The only thing you can say in support of Moulsecoomb, is that they did at least manage to spell it right.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I would say you are correct, St Andrew's church is in Hillside and that has always been known as St Andrews Moulsecoomb.
When I was a kid I had a friend that lived in Hillside, this was further up the road from the church and not far from the pub, he always said he lived in Bevendean.

I wouldn't say that Moulscoomb station is in Moulsecoomb.

I live one minute from the Bevy and for thirty years according to the Post Office I live in Higher Bevendean:rolleyes:
I remember :drink: there many years ago

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
When I worked at ESCC, we were involved in planning and delivering the new station next to what was then Brighton Polytechnic. We were amazed when British Rail announced their intention to call the station Moulsecoomb. If a locality name had to be chosen, it should have been Hollingdean. The only thing you can say in support of Moulsecoomb, is that they did at least manage to spell it right.

...until the train onboard female recorded announcer pronounces it a cringe inducing, 'Moollskooom...' (phonetic attempt(?)) :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The new assistant manager was the senior barmaid (is it non-PC to use that term these days?) in the Lifestyle Lounge at the Amex from opening until last week. She's very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here