Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Late summer holiday in Croatia (Split)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Thinking of going myself end of October. We have 3 young children, can anyone recommend what area would be best to look at for child friendlyness. Was thinking of around 5 days so ideally not to far from the airport.

Loads of small hotels no really big hotels and very few with swimming pools but the beach is sandy and the sea shelves gently good for small children if you like pools then there are at least two huge out side pools lidos I think it was 5 kuna all day we were oftern the only people in an Olympic sized pool really good be aware no shorts men must wear smuggles, the locals appeared very child freindly but apart from the beach, pools or sea life and unless they like shops history I am not sure what else there is for small children you might be better going further up the coast towards Pula there are a number of resorts such as Porec that cater for small children no beaches rocky coast but lots of bigger hotels with pools kids clubs etc, plus from a history point it's very interesting and a visit to Pula to see the Roman Ampithertre is a must it's like the Colosium in Rome without the crowds and unlike most archeological sites it's in such a good condition that children can really get a feel for it without having to use loads of imagination, also the area is opposite Venice and just a sort ferry for a day trip

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Dubrovnik is interesting to visit as is Cavtat is just across the bay and some rally weathly individuals use this as area, it's also a good base to visit the islands or inland to Bosnia, Serbia

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hi Guys I know the lovely people of NSC are well traveled; the Mrs and Me are going to Croatia (Split) @ the end of the month and just wanted to see if anyone had some hints / tips / advise for while we are there? I'm going to be there for the Newcastle game too (Yes I know bad fan!!!) ...where would be good to watch the game?

Hi mate how did you get on with Split ? ,Just booked flights in April for a short break

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Been to Split three times, one of my favourite cities to visit!

How long are you going for? Depending on the length of your trip, I would recommend the following:

- Wandering around the old city (Diocletian's Palace) and just getting lost, also listening to 'Klapa'- Croatian barber shop style groups you'll find dotted around, the acoustics in the ruins are absolutely incredible (see this for a little example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnb7G-revKc)

- Get one of the local free walking tours, where you pay what you want at the end. In my experience these are far better researched and much more engaging than an expensive pre paid tour, as the guide needs to keep you interested to earn as much as possible! They're also normally delivered by locals who can recommend the best restaurants/cafes!

- Walk up Marjan Hill for the best panoramic view of the city, a half an hour or so walk but its breathtaking and free.

- Wander around to the quieter beach over the Marjan Hill side of the bay front- the busier sandy beach is ok, but very crowded in good weather.

- Visit a fish restaurant and get a seafood platter, ask tour guide/hotel/airbnb owner for recommendations

If you have a week or so I would also highly recommend:

- Getting a boat across for the day to Brac about 60 - 90 minute journey), particularly Bol beach which is iconic- you'll probably recognise it from postcards! Can hire Quad bikes if you want to get about that way, the Olive Oil they make on the island is incredible and well worth picking up.

- Similarly, going over to Hvar for the day is well worth it. It's a party Island by night but you can get great tours of the Island which is known for its Lavender. You can get an airbnb of good standard very cheap (about 20/30 EUR for the night) so you could also stay the night in Hvar Town if you want, although Split is fantastic I think 3/4 days of actually being just in the city is probably enough.

- Hiring a boat from the port in Hvar. There are about 20/25 very small Islands about a 20 minute small boat ride away, and you can rent a boat for the entire day (just have to bring it back before the sun goes down) for about 40/50 EUR. You can then just anchor anywhere around these islands and explore them at your leisure- great beaches and rocky areas, there's also a restaurant on one of the islands accessible only by boat serving fish caught literally minutes beforehand.

- Get some Cevapcici- spiced meatballs eaten with flatbread and onions.

- If you are hiring a car and fancy a drive then Dubrovnik is well worth it, as is a trip to Mostar in Bosnia. Easy to cross the border and you absolutely have to do the 'Death of Yugoslavia' tour which takes you through Bosnia's history from 1945, through the reign of Tito and the relationship with the USSR right up to the Bosnian war, including trips to an old underground cave where military weapons were secretly stored to key sites of the Bosnian-Croat and Bosnian-Serb battles. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowU...Travel-Mostar_Herzegovina_Neretva_Canton.html

- If you're going to be in Bosnia, the Kravica waterfalls are also simply stunning and very good value for a whole day out!

I'll have a think about a few more places I'd recommend but please PM me if you want any more specific info on the above :)

I never forgot this post Ric!!!!

Finally going to Split now. Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here