Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Late 1980s team photo

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I vividly remember being behind the goal at Bramell Lane when Saunders was subbed and Richard Tiltman replaced him.......God it was freezing that day.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah of course still had some good individual players tho

Indeed. We started to sell many of them off after that. Saunders didn't last long. Eric Young & Gary O'Reilly both ended up at some slum in Croydon. Mortimer & Armstrong must have retired at some stage. Danny Wilson was sold that season I think, as Doug Rougvie became captain the season after. Steve Penney went to Burnley at some stage, and Terry Connor moved on as we had Nelson & Bremner up front the following year. Good old Perry Digweed hung around though, albeit as I recall, John Keeley was the keeper in the promotion winning side from the third division.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I vividly remember being behind the goal at Bramell Lane when Saunders was subbed and Richard Tiltman replaced him.......God it was freezing that day.

That was the Cold Wind of Change, when we started the descent into decades of mediocrity and despair. It's all Tiltman's fault.

I wonder what he does now?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Apart from getting relegated and Mullery being sacked halfway through, yes.

Wait- I'd best check with HB&B to make sure it was half way through now, and not three fifths, or a third.

If you really want to know Edna, it was two days after we won at Grimsby and O'Reilly was sold to Palace (24th game of a 42-game season)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you really want to know Edna, it was two days after we won at Grimsby and O'Reilly was sold to Palace (24th game of a 42-game season)

So MORE than half way? :ohmy:

That's the last time I trust HB&B.

nelson73

Jan 9, 2014
lancing
Indeed. We started to sell many of them off after that. Saunders didn't last long. Eric Young & Gary O'Reilly both ended up at some slum in Croydon. Mortimer & Armstrong must have retired at some stage. Danny Wilson was sold that season I think, as Doug Rougvie became captain the season after. Steve Penney went to Burnley at some stage, and Terry Connor moved on as we had Nelson & Bremner up front the following year. Good old Perry Digweed hung around though, albeit as I recall, John Keeley was the keeper in the promotion winning side from the third division.

Penny was frozen out by Lloyd wasn't he? Nelson is my all time favourite player:D

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That was the Cold Wind of Change, when we started the descent into decades of mediocrity and despair. It's all Tiltman's fault.

To be fair, Lloyd rebuilt a bloody good side the following year that won promotion and a few years later went to Wembley....Lloyd never gets the credit he deserves for that. It's all clouded by what followed, understandable enough I suppose...But yes Edna it was a "what the **** moment", I agree

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do believe that was EXTRACTED from the rather fine www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk

Which will soon have 1999/00 available in all its GLORY

:thumbsup:

Was it REALLY? I'm glad you pointed that out, as it may be useful for any of those who enjoy looking at old Albion programmes for a shot of nostalgia just like the one in this thread, only packed with intriguing and informative retro titbits too.

It sounds like an EXCELLENT site.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Was it REALLY? I'm glad you pointed that out, as it may be useful for any of those who enjoy looking at old Albion programmes for a shot of nostalgia just like the one in this thread, only packed with intriguing and informative retro titbits too.

It sounds like an EXCELLENT site.

Well I think so, indeed.

I do believe there are some plans for some really exciting content coming this year, further DELVING into the finely woven tapestry that is the history of our mighty fine Association Football Club

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Gerry Armstrong made it to January 1989 (by which time he was player-coach). He got sent off playing for the reserves in a Sussex Senior Cup-tie replay against Southwick, took exception to something said from the stands, and did an "Eric Cantona". He left the club soon afterwards.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Will we ever really know the truth about that season??? Cattlin was fired at the end of the previous season, amid protests and all round general astonishment at that decision. Replaced by Mullery, who after a shaky start to the season, was in many peoples eyes starting to turn it around...Then he was gone and replaced by Barry Who??? as I recall everyone called him....Chrissy Cattlin's blue and white army, was still ringing it's way around the North Stand at every game and we hardly won a game from January until we were relegated....Why didn't they just appoint Lloyd after Cattlin is what I will never understand, if Mullery was only ever bought in to be made a scapegoat of......strange times indeed.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Insurance at one point. I played golf with him a few times, I know his brother-in-law quite well.

In his defence in the seasons that followed there were worse forwards (particularly in Div 4 aka League 2), he did score at Championship level of course......

His biggest crime of course was replacing Saunders, which of course wasn't his fault, the club needed the money so had to sell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here