Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last win away at Blackpool was Year 2000 during 'Petrol Crisis' - who went?!!

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Just been on BBC website and it said last win at Blackpool was September 2000 - now I am pretty damn sure that was during the petrol crisis

Was living in Yorkshire at the time so only had a 90 minute drive over the border, but remembered being at the game and there were stories of coaches and minibuses turning round, as they couldn't get any petrol on the way up to Blackpool (and a few saying "I'm screwed, no petrol to get home!!" :ohmy:)

Remember Gary Hart scored a beauty, and we won (2-0?) Drive back was wierd, as there was NO traffic on the motorway. Me, I was happy to use up my petrol to watch the Albion :rave::rave::rave:

UaeGull

Dec 21, 2007
Ha ha - yes I remember that one well - the 327 of us in what must have been then the worst away enclosure in football (including Withdean).

I was living in Lytham at the time. Just down the road!

Arrived in a side street not far from Bloomfield Road, and me, my son and another Seagulls fan got out of the car all wearing our blue and white.

Passing Tangerine fan enquired how we had managed to get up there all the way from Brighton with no petrol about?

My retort "oh there's no problem getting petrol DOWN SOUTH mate!"

His face was a picture!

Memory of seeing our supporters coach after the game driving towards the sea front for what must have been a comparatively speedy drive up the illuminations (as there were no other cars about) before heading for the M55!

Yes Gary Hart's goal that night still lives in the memory!

Another happy evening supporting the Albion! ;-)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Similar experience for me. Live in Manchester and we were having a few days holiday in St Annes....think it was half term holiday. There was no petrol at all in Blackpool. Got a taxi to the game. Great turn out considering everything and we were right behind Gary Hart's curler into the top corner. Great night. Had to get a train home as we ran out of petrol completely.
Blackpool away is a great occasion...can't wait for tomorrow. Just hope the result is the same.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Was it the evening game? If it was ended up in a & e after a :catfight:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What are the stat's when the match was the game was one of our potential 'Last Game Ever'?

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
I remember it well.I travelled up from Cornwall and met Stevo and Kay and Timbo up there. We stayed in a B + B called the Albion House run by two northern 'partners'. WE had a great night out before, great night afterwards and I strugled back at 40 mph all the way to Milton Keynes on a few gallons of precious diesel. Stevev and Kay on their bike had to ditch it ue to lack of petrol and take the train. They returned the following Friday to pick up the bike and go onto York for the folowing game game where we met up.
Oh, and Nathan Jones and OGH scored in another away win.
Memorable times !

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I was living in Rotherham and working near Stafford at the time. So I drove to Crewe and caught the train. One of my lads had planned a few days staying in Blackpool with his girlfriend and found petrol from somewhere - so that accounts for 3 of the crowd.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I went with albion legend st leonard and stayed in the hilton where we met gary hart and kerry mayo - harty scored the goal just as he said he would - dodge got the other i think great night

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
One of my lads went in a car or mini-bus but only made it back as far as Preston and had to stay overnight as no petrol.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
yes me plus 3,had a ball,untill coming home,we thought we had enough spare,ran out near london,had to park up and wait for mates dad,to syphon some from brighton bus depot

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I was there goals from Paul rogers and Gary hart securing 3 points for the Albion.

Managed to get petrol at oxford on the way up

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The travelling Albion supporters in the very old terrace jumping around to 'we ain't got no petrol, we ain't got no petrol, la la la la...' was a sight to be seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here