Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Last minute.com have just cancelled my Athens trip

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Would always advise booking direct for both flight and hotel

Flight: the airline has a statutory duty to see you right. Why insert a middleman?

Hotel: book with somebody like booking.com where you'll still get a decent deal and - more importantly - you'll have have the right to free cancellation of your booking right up to a day or two before you're due to check in
I've used booking.com for the final

Free cancellation, can't lose

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Why, in the information age, do people book via brokers.

It's weird and unnecessary.

Book direct always, I genuinely thought everyone knows this. Use skyscanner to find rough prices etc then book direct

Hope you get it sorted. I'm sure there was another fella on here who did similar for Amsterdam and was booted off his booking because of Expedia or someone
Well hold on. I've been an independent traveller for more than 40 years. Never been on a package holiday or used a broker. As shocking as it may sound, EasyJet Holidays use their own planes so they’re hardly brokers in any case. We were in the middle of booking flights with EJ when I noticed the holiday options, and on checking the hotel prices, noticed that it was cheaper to do it via holiday. The flights also include a very generous baggage allowance. Annoyingly, when we checked again last night the hotel had dropped their price but there we are. I would never travel with some obscure broker but I’ve used EJ for years and am happy with them. In fact I own shares in them! Sometimes it’s preferable to trust a big name. That’s just my view. If we were booking somewhere else tomorrow we might do it differently.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Well hold on. I've been an independent traveller for more than 40 years. Never been on a package holiday or used a broker. As shocking as it may sound, EasyJet Holidays use their own planes so they’re hardly brokers in any case. We were in the middle of booking flights with EJ when I noticed the holiday options, and on checking the hotel prices, noticed that it was cheaper to do it via holiday. The flights also include a very generous baggage allowance. Annoyingly, when we checked again last night the hotel had dropped their price but there we are. I would never travel with some obscure broker but I’ve used EJ for years and am happy with them. In fact I own shares in them! Sometimes it’s preferable to trust a big name. That’s just my view. If we were booking somewhere else tomorrow we might do it differently.
I agree with you. Not sure if you replied to the wrong post? OP was talking about lastminute. Nothing wrong with easy jet IMO

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Easyjet holidays are usually excellent value (particularly when you count the ‘extras’ you’re likely to end up buying when you get the flight separately).

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bastards. Wife just clicked on booking to see when final settlement due and it’s posted up as “booking cancelled” We booked and paid deposit a week ago.

Now considering our next move.

Worryingly, (I hope we are but) I doubt if we’re alone on this.
Not that it helps but it happened to a few of us

Thread '3rd party travel sites for euro games BEWARE' https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/3rd-party-travel-sites-for-euro-games-beware.403304/

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just been on EasyJet site and found this if you fancy a few extra days sight seeing

IMG_5022.png

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
FOR THE AJAX GAME :

Managed to get a flight from Bristol to Amsterdam, return for £75 the day before the game, returning on the Friday. Bit of a drive down west to get the flight but far cheaper than going from Gatwick.

Wednesday 6.05pm out £34.99, and return on Friday at 10.40am £40.69. Still available. Luckily I have free accommodation with a friend who lives there so a relatively cheap trip especially as our friend can get us comp tickets (albeit in the Ajax main stand).

1694280677804.png

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What if we lose horribly? I would want to get out of Athens ASAP. If I was going I would need to be arriving back the early hours of Friday morning. The rest of the year is for holidays.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What if we lose horribly? I would want to get out of Athens ASAP. If I was going I would need to be arriving back the early hours of Friday morning. The rest of the year is for holidays.
No chance we are losing horribly. Have you seen their team? Absolute rubbish !

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Yep. One of those carriers used to be the gold standard in the UK with great customer service and the other was an unreliable mess with crap customer service - no longer the case. Think much of the Easyjet criticism is based on history, not current practice.
Recent history though.

Cancelled flights in the summer of 2022

BA 755 v EasyJet 1,482

The only carrier I’ve ever had a cancelled flight with is EasyJet and that was last October.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why, in the information age, do people book via brokers.

It's weird and unnecessary.

Book direct always, I genuinely thought everyone knows this. Use skyscanner to find rough prices etc then book direct

Hope you get it sorted. I'm sure there was another fella on here who did similar for Amsterdam and was booted off his booking because of Expedia or someone
Because even if you use Skyscanner, the results will give you a myriad of companies undercutting the official supplier price to get the business. Whether or not they actually can deliver is something you only find out later but many appear to be reputable companies and, in normal scenarios, I think they often come up with the goods. I imagine the sudden influx of bookings and demand that wasn’t anticipated has caused them backtrack.

I never book flights other than through the airline any more as even small issues become impossible to address and the hassle’s simply not worth the saving. Have had no bad experiences with hotels though and frequently got better deals than booking direct. Tend to stick with Hotels.com and Booking.com who don’t hide lots of extra potential charges in their terms and conditions.

As for Easyjet, I’d choose them ahead of BA if the price was the same. At least Easyjet are up front about being a budget/mid-range airline. BA just behave like one.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
SORTED NOW! Thanks for your concern

Cost £300 more in total now but all confirmations have been rubber stamped so to speak.

Just in our/my wife’s defence, like I said earlier we are experienced travellers but as she booked Saturday morning, prices were going up by the minute and she wanted to get into town and have beer before the Newcastle match, up popped this mini holiday on Last Minute, the flights were right, the hotel was right, the price was right. The temptation of this “broker” “middleman” whatever was too great

Amsterdam was booked at a lot more leisurely pace on the Sunday night with KLM and a hotel direct

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Recent history though.

BA 755 v EasyJet 1,482

The only carrier I’ve ever had a cancelled flight with is EasyJet and that was last October.
I think BA had a higher cancellation rate so perhaps they fly more than BA. I can't find figures for this year.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recent history though.

BA 755 v EasyJet 1,482

Problem with stats like that is the devil is in the detail. Easyjet had about 60% more flights (16000 vs 10000) but none of those are longhaul which are generally less likely to be cancelled (or impacted by the lazy French ATC). BA Cityflier (which only does shorthaul) cancelled more (%) than Easyjet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here