Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Last minute city breaks

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Off to Verona in a few weeks - and have been before and that's a lovely city - before we go to Lake Garda but Bologna is also a favourite. One that rarely gets a shout but is also gorgeous is Bergamo.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Off to Verona in a few weeks - and have been before and that's a lovely city - before we go to Lake Garda but Bologna is also a favourite. One that rarely gets a shout but is also gorgeous is Bergamo.

Once I'm retired (Mrs Jakarta already is) our plan is to relocate to Italy and can confirm Verona is wonderful. Did Venice the following day and was underwhelmed by comparison.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Easyjet now fly to Granada. Surely nowhere better?

Oh I love Granada. The Alhambra is magical. Still think I prefer Sevilla, it's scale means there's more to do and see but Granada is a place everyone should have in their bucket list. Good shout

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Brussels - go on the Eurostar, so much easier than flying, nice and comfy and quick. Book on http://www.lastminute.com/city-breaks/eurostar.html you can easily get a city centre hotel for £200 each. Went there last autumn and it was very good

I would consider walking a couple of platforms over at Brussels Midi Station and getting the half-hour train to Ghent,transfer included in the Eurostar ticket. Beautiful mediaeval Flemish city with good nightlife. Porto is also always a good shout; great old centre which is largely ungentrified, very reasonable prices for excellent food and drink, even a beach nearby if you fancy a swim.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you fly to Split which has already been mentioned the airport is actually closer to a place called Trogir than it is to Split itself . Brilliant place old walled city which is also a little island. it has no cars loads bars restaurants and squares to wander around. Its a unesco heritage site. if you want the beach just walk over the bridge to the mainland or another island on the other side and bingo . Croatia is pretty cheap too.

Where I live now I wont be able to go to Croatia again . Apart from the albion and mates holidays to Croatia are a thing ill miss

View attachment 86678

This. Croatia in general is a really hip place to visit at the moment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Wales , once you know where it is you will want to move there .

Hate to be pedantic here but it's not strictly - taking all things into consideration and without putting to finer a point on it - a city now is it Tay ?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
No votes for Croydon yet then?

Not from me either.

I'd spend the budget on a Eurostar return to Paris. Plenty of traditional Parisian hotels to choose from. Terrific city, with so many familiar sights, even if you've never been there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Valencia is very good, lots to do and a great beach

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Rome - stay in a residenzia - look them up on booking.com as they're converted apartments with maybe four rooms apiece and more often than not in stunning blocks full of character but not short on elegance and mod cons.

We did so last summer at short notice staying just east of the Vatican which meant we could and did walk most places in roughly half an hour.

Have never walked so far in four days in a city but it really was a wonderful experience.

Failing that I can also second Trogir and Krakow.

Trogir if you want mooch and relax as there's not much to after a couple of days except walk or head to the beach and Krakow of medieval architecture, shopping and cheap eats/drinks.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here