Laser Eye Surgery

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Thinking about getting it done, and am interested to hear what people who have had it done think about it.

Anyone had it?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I know 2 people that have had Wavefront method and both spot on 20:20, from being 'very blind.'

One early 20s, one late 20s.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Know 3 people that have had it done and rave about their 20/20 vision.

I was going to get it done but my eye sight is only -0.75 so wasn't worth it.... Well worth it if over -1 though...

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
F*** that

My eyesight is far from perfect. One of my biggest fears in life would be losing my eyesight.

Tho people I know that have had it done cant be more complimentary about it I personally would fear the long term implications - who is to say you won't go blind as a result in 30 years.

Just my thoughts !

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I heard that if you get cataracts when your older they can't operate on them if you have had laser eye surgery but I don't know how true this is? I did speak to my optician once about it and he advised against it. I then suffered a detached retina 18 months ago so I was glad I hadn't meddled with my eyes as I probably would have lost the vision in my right eye had I done.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
F*** that

My eyesight is far from perfect. One of my biggest fears in life would be losing my eyesight.

Tho people I know that have had it done cant be more complimentary about it I personally would fear the long term implications - who is to say you won't go blind as a result in 30 years.

Just my thoughts !

Well yeah this was my concern about it. But so far nobody has gone blind from it, and they were doing this surgery in Cuba in the 40's. And they were doing it with scalpels then!

It's come down in price loads, the one I'm looking at is just under 2 grand, and you can pay over 18 months interest free credit. Works out at £100 a month after a 10% deposit. I spend £35 a month on contacts as it is.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Had it done nearly 3 years ago.

Amazing!

20 seconds on each eye to make the cut, very bizarre feeling basically having the lens of your eye lifted up then I had 29 seconds surgery on each eye.

The local took about an hour an half to wear off and it was pretty uncomfortable, however I went and had a lay down, fell asleep, woke up 2 hours later and I had better then 20:20 vision. Unreal!

I was -2.75 and -2.5 if memory recalls.

Cost a few quid bit but worth every penny IMO.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I have 2 friends who've had it. One had it 8 or 9 years ago, and she now wears glasses. Another had it done 4 years ago, and now he has to read anything at full arms length. Don't know what type they both had, but they both raved about it when they had it done, but it seems to have deteriorated since. I'd make sure whatever type you're going for has excellent long term credentials.

D

Deleted member 22389

F*** that

Just my thoughts !

I feel exactly the same about it too. I am staying with my glasses. Even after laser surgery does your eyesight not degrade over time which means you need to go back for a another shot of laser surgery?

My father who sadly passed away in 2004 and was a diabetic, had laser surgery on his eyes quite a few times because as a diabetic it can effect the eyes. I was wondering if this was the same procedure?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Thinking about getting it done, and am interested to hear what people who have had it done think about it.

Anyone had it?

Haven't had it done but a few years back the wife was looking into it so can offer an opinion. Like all things there will be good and bad experiences and you tend not to hear about the bad when it comes to the hard sell. Like most things in life you will get what you pay for and beware companies like Optimax and the like offering bargain prices and easy installs. By luck one of UK's best providers is the Centre For Sight based in East Grinstead who have been at the forefront of corrective eye surgery since its early days. You will pay top dollar (about £2 K per eye) but a much better chance of an out come you will be satisfied with.

Unfortunately, i only know personally two people who were totally satisfied with vision after surgery. The others had to have second procedures to tweak vision and have suffered some night vision glare. Bottom line is that for £2K i would want 20/20 or as near as vision for minimum of ten years to justify it. As you approach your 40's you might also need to be wary of your near vision reducing slightly and hence why i now have to wear varifocals.

As with all procedures there are risks and you need to do your homework.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I heard that its depending on your age, if you are young it will last a while, if not then your eyes will deteriorate anyway and you will need glasses again.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have 2 friends who've had it. One had it 8 or 9 years ago, and she now wears glasses. Another had it done 4 years ago, and now he has to read anything at full arms length. Don't know what type they both had, but they both raved about it when they had it done, but it seems to have deteriorated since. I'd make sure whatever type you're going for has excellent long term credentials.

But that is par for the course surely? All aspects of your body deteriorates as you get older. I'm under no illusion that I will either end up wearing glasses/contacts again or I'll have the surgery again.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My wife had it done about five months ago. The results were instant and she now has better than 20:20 vision!

She had the same fears as you but after about ten years of hesitancy and research went for it.

No regrets from her so far other than not doing it ten years ago!

Hers cost £3,500 but she has -3.75, so pretty bad. I'm paying it off over 18 months as well.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Aside from advice from my optician, ask yourself the question why companies like Optimax are cheaper than many others and their cheesy adverts litter the media.

So are there any others that you would recommend?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My wife had it done about five months ago. The results were instant and she now has better than 20:20 vision!

She had the same fears as you but after about ten years of hesitancy and research went for it.

No regrets from her so far other than not doing it ten years ago!

Hers cost £3,500 but she has -3.75, so pretty bad. I'm paying it off over 18 months as well.

Sounds good. More importantly, what time are you getting there tonight?

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
My mum was one of the first to have it done in this country. Must of been 15 years ago if not more. After about 6/7 years here eyes have gradually started to return to their original state. It was worth it but not sure if you can have it done twice???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports