Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Large majority of UK fans oppose continued use of VAR......

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm not against VAR. I'm against how VAR is being used in the Premier League.

If they just overruled clear and obvious mistakes, I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem with it.

Offsides which aren't based on 2mm of your toe being in front of the defender.
Whether a foul is inside or outside the box.
Clear red cards for violent conduct.
Only the most blatent of handballs.
etc.

If there's any doubt, stick with the onfield decision.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
One man’s ‘clear and obvious’ is another man’s ‘not a chance in hell the ref got that wrong.’
This.

I always thought the attacker always got the benefit of the doubt so we saw more goals....

That soon got forgotten.

There should be a margin for the attacker, and if they are not in that margin, then no goal.

None of this offside by a layer of leather.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Genuinely think we would miss if it were gone now.

Too late to go back.

VAR has made a lot of bad decisions, but I think if we were to get rid of it we would be reminded how so many of the decisions were even worse.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
One man’s ‘clear and obvious’ is another man’s ‘not a chance in hell the ref got that wrong.’
I'm not saying they won't still have contentious issues. That would still be the case even without VAR.

If they are spending 3 minutes looking at something from various angles, it's probably not clear and obvious.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
VAR is essentially for people who know that lemons are 30p each at Tesco and so go to their local one and measure them all, complaining that the smaller ones should only by 28p and then life would be much better, as opposed to people who just buy the lemon so they have something nice to put into their gin and tonic.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Let’s stop changing the rules every 5 minutes so as to give us football lovers a chance of knowing what VAR is trying to assess.

Then only use VAR for “very clear and obvious errors” that includes serious off the ball incidents that the referee has missed, such as violent conduct.

Offsides and handballs seem to be the biggest areas of contention, and the areas with most rule changes in recent years.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
VAR is essentially for people who know that lemons are 30p each at Tesco and so go to their local one and measure them all, complaining that the smaller ones should only by 28p and then life would be much better, as opposed to people who just buy the lemon so they have something nice to put into their gin and tonic.
This feels less like an analogy and more like an anecdote from earlier today :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Let’s stop changing the rules every 5 minutes so as to give us football lovers a chance of knowing what VAR is trying to assess.

Then only use VAR for “very clear and obvious errors” that includes serious off the ball incidents that the referee has missed, such as violent conduct.

Offsides and handballs seem to be the biggest areas of contention, and the areas with most rule changes in recent years.
yes, funny how these keep getting fiddled with and half the time its down to interpretation, then VAR comes along and get more wrong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here