Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lane keep assist on cars

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a shit idea. If you can't do a basic thing like staying in lane without drifting all over he shop, then you should't be behind the wheel in the first place.
I say this as someone driving a 10 year old Honda though, so its not a choice I have to make.

Kenn

Jun 15, 2023
Use it all the time on my Kia Ceed in association with its auto lane control feature. Excellent on long trips on motorways, even if there are bends in the road you don't need to move the steering wheel at any point. Keep the steering wheel pointing straight and the car automatically steers all the bends for you.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I hired a car when I was in the UK over Christmas. It was a Vauxhall Corsa, so I assumed it was going to be a bit rubbish without any advanced features. Then I drove it on a twisty country road and the steering started pulling me across as I went round one of the bends. I thought there was something wrong with the car. It took me a while to realise the car had lane assist.

I can understand it on the motorway to keep you in your lane. I don't think it's good for country roads though. If there's a big lorry coming the other way, I want to try and move over as much as possible without the car wrestling me back.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It appears the system on BMW’s and Volvo’s insist that you use the middle lane unless overtaking with no indication

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Kia Sportage
IMG_3859.jpeg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It appears the system on BMW’s and Volvo’s insist that you use the middle lane unless overtaking with no indication
As a BMW driver I’d say that’s only partly true. Mine also has an automatic feature that flashes the headlights at anyone in front of me who isn’t going as fast as I would like. I haven’t found a way to disable that. 😆

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Its a shit idea. If you can't do a basic thing like staying in lane without drifting all over he shop, then you should't be behind the wheel in the first place.
I say this as someone driving a 10 year old Honda though, so its not a choice I have to make.
What a silly comment, cars have evolved to do all the mundane tasks we used to have to endure to make journeys easier and safer

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There's a massive variation in how intrusive the systems are in different cars/brands, which doesn't help its appeal. I'll often 'use' it in different cars when I simply can't be arsed to turn it off every time I get in.

As far as driver assistance systems go, it's nowhere near the most annoying.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My first experience of this was with a hire car. I thought the car had developed a fault until I checked the Internet.

It's on my new car now and doesn't bother me at all.

I absolutely love the loud alarm feature if the car in front rapidly slows. Genius - gives that extra split second to hit the brake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here