Landon donovan / usa vs mexico

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Was getting some stick at work this week from the , suprisingly high number , of Team USA Soccerball fans. I'm pretty pro USA in most things but for some reason just can't get behind their football team and always want them to lose. Colleagues were very excited by the 1-0 semi final win over Panama and were disappointed by my comment that the game was so tedious it made me want to pull my own eyelids off.

After much thought I realised that the reason for my antipathy is pin up boy of US football , Landon Donovan. I have an irrational dislike for him. Anyone else feel this way? Alexi Lalas is a tosser of the first order as well.

Hoping for a Mexico win tonight.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
B M

As I imagine Fruit Cove is somewhere in the US of A, correct me if I am wrong, sorry you feel that way, presumably as an Albion fan you maintain the traits of loyalty.

So if you are living as a guest in that country, would it not be reasonable to extend your loyalty in that direction.

Don't understand your 'irrational' dislike for LD, he seemed to do a pretty reasonable job for Everton (was it) and performed well enough in the World Cup including against England.

Anyway, enjoy the game this evening !

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I can't stomach the man, either -- nor Lalas in his day. I think we share that with most sentient organisms in this quadrant of the galaxy. And it is irrational.

Derek Jeter in short pants, is my theory.

But that doesn't cause me to want the USMNT to tank, either. But then it's my national side.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
There's just something about LD that I can't put my finger on. Not keen either.

Hoping for a Mexican dinner tonight.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Team USA does remind me of the Albion 15 years ago ............when we were really shit. :lol:

While in the US, I admired and applauded the advent of a serious football league there.
The Galaxy used to play at the Rose Bowl which was too big for the few fans to huddle together at, so the Home Depot Center is a decent place for them (which they share with Chivas, the Central American's choice of fave team, generally).

Not got any problem with Lalas - he has been very instrumental in publicizing the game there (albeit originally from interest in his silly red goatee and 'unfortunate' hair, but gingers apparently have souls). Donovan was the new golden boy of soccer, and others after him turned out disappointing or non-starters - so at least he's a player who was the real deal. Loads of good US players exist because they play it in school and college (and I've played among some good Americans myself), yet the sport didn't take off for many years as a pro pass-time. The latinos help a lot because they are all over the place and look for football where they can find it.

The Americans don't know to be worried about poor performances because they still aren't expected to win much. Unlike the England team who fail miserably yet we expect them to perform every tournament and they are usually utterly shit.
As far as hating anyone for their looks and demeanor, we have way more worthy players for disliking. Rooney and Terry, for instance.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
^ Very good post, NMH.

I'm incredibly pro-US in pretty much everything (I do American Studies so kinda gotta be, heh) and was thoroughly gutted when they lost to Ghana in the World Cup. As for Donovan, I can understand why people would dislike him, and he does have a slightly awkward persona about him which I reckon doesn't translate so well to us Brits. However, personally I have to get behind someone who is a shows the potential of US soccer.

Should be a good game.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Fruit Cove is in NE Florida Ferring. Between St Augustine and Jacksonville. I know what you mean about loyalty. I love my adopted country (aware of it's faults though at the risk of attracting anti-American sentiment) but just can't get behind the football team. Having said that I like Clint Dempsey and agree that the England team has many more players that are worthy of derision. Terry , Rooney , Cole etc are not exactly role models to our youth.

Anyway looking forward to a few cold ones and some quality wings while I watch the game. Think the US will probably win about 2-1 in fairness.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Fruit Cove is in NE Florida Ferring. Between St Augustine and Jacksonville. I know what you mean about loyalty. I love my adopted country (aware of it's faults though at the risk of attracting anti-American sentiment) but just can't get behind the football team. Having said that I like Clint Dempsey and agree that the England team has many more players that are worthy of derision. Terry , Rooney , Cole etc are not exactly role models to our youth.

Anyway looking forward to a few cold ones and some quality wings while I watch the game. Think the US will probably win about 2-1 in fairness.

Fantastic area round there, drove down to Orlando from Canada and came through there. I of course want Mexico to dismantle America about 6-0 would be good.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Originally posted by Billy Mays

Originally Posted by Billy Mays

Thanks for that BM hope you have a nice few 'cold ones' , here you would be thinking about a few 'stiff ones' to warm you up !

Sounds like you are going to have a nice evening and B----- the quality of the football !

Best

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
I can't stand Landycakes. I've tried to put my finger on what it is about him, but I just end up deciding he looks like he needs a serious slap/kick and to man up.

As for the game - the US defence was shocking (yet again).

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
You lost me with that one I'm afraid Scampi. As for the game it was very enjoyable. Would have to grudgingly admit that little Landon took his goal well. The US had no answer to Mexico's pace upfront though and once they pulled one back it always looked inevitable that they would go on to win. Must be tough playing a "home" game where apparently 3/4 of the crowd were Mexico fans. The two goals that Mexico scored in the second half are worth a look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports