Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges part deux

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
No one who dopes ever thinks that they will be caught and that is very much true in cycling as all we are getting at the moment is confessions. Cookson has a huge challenge on this to change the culture and then the mindset and god forbid if there is a serious one at Sky, him, Brailsford and Sky will all be in the firing line.

With British Cycling (and, by extension, Sky) I feel that they're either clean or all on a bigger programme than East Germany had. I can't see it being the latter. At least there's now the political will at the top of the UCI to tackle the issue. JTL's 'lack of form' since joining Sky and the bio-passport anomalies from Endura also lead me to think Sky are racing clean.

Sadly I won't be surprised if I'm wrong, just disappointed (again).

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
With British Cycling (and, by extension, Sky) I feel that they're either clean or all on a bigger programme than East Germany had. I can't see it being the latter. At least there's now the political will at the top of the UCI to tackle the issue. JTL's 'lack of form' since joining Sky and the bio-passport anomalies from Endura also lead me to think Sky are racing clean.

Sadly I won't be surprised if I'm wrong, just disappointed (again).

I don't say that Sky are like any of the other teams because I believe they are not, as a team and organisation they are probably right up there with the cleanest ethics, but, its the culture of riders and has been for many generations of riders now. Really want BC to clean it up, but he doesn't go home with riders or attend out of competition training in in Kazakstan or Columbia, how many random tests are carried out there? I like you won't be surprised just more disappointed.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Tennis! You guys really need to have a look at what are are doing!

This, Troicki ban injustice, is scarily reminiscent of the sort of thing cyclists used to come out with back in the day. Djokovic isn't the first to complain either Nadal and Murray have also had a moan. Fortunately, Federer is a bit more sensible. Maybe they should have a days play slow like the Tour de France 1998. :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tennis! You guys really need to have a look at what are are doing!

This, Troicki ban injustice, is scarily reminiscent of the sort of thing cyclists used to come out with back in the day. Djokovic isn't the first to complain either Nadal and Murray have also had a moan. Fortunately, Federer is a bit more sensible. Maybe they should have a days play slow like the Tour de France 1998. :facepalm:

How many press reports about cycling can we find up to 2007 that read exactly the same?

Spotlight focuses on lesser rider, other top riders profess his innocence and blame the system.

Now where did that end...

...oh yes that's right, the top riders were doping too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]401257657124007936[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...tested-by-USADA-in-third-quarter-of-2013.aspx

Vuelta a España winner Chris Horner has topped the table of riders that have been most frequently tested by USADA during the third quarter of this year, with the RadioShack Leopard rider undergoing ten tests since July.

I wonder how many tests were carried out by The FA and LTA on all their athletes, in that time.

Its not relevant how many tests are carried out, cyclists are still getting busted and are still better than most other sports at avoiding detection. Clearly Chris Horner, who has yet to sign a contract for next year, like a good wine improved with age. Was there any pressure on him to dope in his final years as a pro cyclist? Yes if he wanted to continue in the sport and gain another contract doing what he has done for most of his adult life.. I am surprised he has only been tested 10 times given his performance in the Vuelta.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I bet he was surprised to see doping control coming over the hill

RFU Anti Doping Suspension: Harrison Pickett

http://boxscorenews.com/rfu-anti-doping-suspension-harrison-pickett-p68965-68.htm

There are some excitingly small numbers in here, RFU Anti doping Report 12/13. Still I suppose 4 drugs tests (urine only) for the whole of the Six Nations is fine :facepalm:

Even if we assume that Six Nations drugs tests administered by the RFU only take in to account England's home fixtures, and only the home players being tested (unlikely as these figures include IRB matches) that is 1.33 players being tested a game, 4 in total across the Six Nations. More likely though is that four is the total number of tests for all teams, in what is the pinnacle of their sport for all years when there is not a World Cup :nono:

Still, being bigger, stronger and faster doesn't help you kick straight...

...oh, wrong sport.

At least there is no sign that Rugby players are getting bigger...

...oh! Lions weight increase v 1952 average

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are some excitingly small numbers in here, RFU Anti doping Report 12/13. Still I suppose 4 drugs tests (urine only) for the whole of the Six Nations is fine :facepalm:

Even if we assume that Six Nations drugs tests administered by the RFU only take in to account England's home fixtures, and only the home players being tested (unlikely as these figures include IRB matches) that is 1.33 players being tested a game, 4 in total across the Six Nations. More likely though is that four is the total number of tests for all teams, in what is the pinnacle of their sport for all years when there is not a World Cup :nono:

Still, being bigger, stronger and faster doesn't help you kick straight...

...oh, wrong sport.

At least there is no sign that Rugby players are getting bigger...

...oh! Lions weight increase v 1952 average

The report states that 54% of premiership players were tested at least once. Of course it would be ideal if 100% of players were tested at least once and that those representing their country are tested regularly in and out of competition.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The report states that 54% of premiership players were tested at least once. Of course it would be ideal if 100% of players were tested at least once and that those representing their country are tested regularly in and out of competition.

It should not be 'ideal' if 100% of players get tested once. It should be guaranteed that every player will get tested several times a season. Rugby is not a poor sport and can afford to make these tests, no excuses. The text can say that 'those representing their country get regularly tested in and out of competition' but the figures just do not show that. I have no particular axe to grind with Rugby but it is the same as football, tennis, all American sport and golf in that it pays lip service to this issue.

For example in the three weeks of the Tour de France (featuring 198 cyclists), 419 anti doping tests were taken, plus a further 202 pre competition tests. So that is every rider tested twice during the Tour and once before it starts. This doesn't even take in to account the rest of the year, still 54% once a year is fine, right?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
A good article - very depressing. The Barca links- was the whilst Oscar was there?

Yes, and no. Doping is endemic in Spanish football, and has been for a long time. The 2001 and 2004 parts of that article were when he was elsewhere, but it is unrealistic to think that these practices were not part of the 'system' before he left in 1999. Cruyff and Ajax is mentioned all the way back in 1967, do you think any of the things he learnt were put in to practice at Barca when he was manager there? A period that overlaps with Oscar's playing career.

It is a really depressing article. Think how us cycling fans feel when it is our sport that is continuously ridiculed for being full of dopers, when the evidence seems to point towards plenty of others that are as bad, if not worse.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, and no. Doping is endemic in Spanish football, and has been for a long time. The 2001 and 2004 parts of that article were when he was elsewhere, but it is unrealistic to think that these practices were not part of the 'system' before he left in 1999. Cruyff and Ajax is mentioned all the way back in 1967, do you think any of the things he learnt were put in to practice at Barca when he was manager there? A period that overlaps with Oscar's playing career.

It is a really depressing article. Think how us cycling fans feel when it is our sport that is continuously ridiculed for being full of dopers, when the evidence seems to point towards plenty of others that are as bad, if not worse.

It's obvious that cycling should in fact be applauded for tackling the problem head on and not burying their collective head in the sand. Football seems to be afraid / unwilling to accept there is even a problem to address.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Guardian are loving Pep and 'his doctor' leaving Barca for big strong fast Munich while Messi suffers his first ever injury crisis.

No meat on the bones, just yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here