Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lallana's finishing

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I'm quite surprised this thread wasn't bounced following the Burnley game... another great chance spurned, but with his head this time.

View attachment 145374
I think he's a crap finisher but with the exception of Glenn, Ulloa and maybe Hemed, I'm not sure there's many players we've had at The Amex, I'd be backing to score there. Even if he hits the target it's a long way out to beat a keeper.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was less than complimentary on another thread. Seeing it from this angle, he had a lot less to aim for than I had previously thought. The header looked straightforward, but there were a lot of players between him and the goal.

I think he's a crap finisher but with the exception of Glenn, Ulloa and maybe Hemed, I'm not sure there's many players we've had at The Amex, I'd be backing to score there. Even if he hits the target it's a long way out to beat a keeper.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Fair enough - but it wasn't even on target!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
His goal scoring record has declined in each of the past 9 seasons from a leak to a dribble (which he is quite good at). He only really scored at Premier level in a side in which you couldn’t help but score.
Happy he is with us for his experience and creativity, and pleased he has stayed reasonably fit, but all this isn’t going to help us until we get a striker or two on his wavelength. Time is not on his or our side.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s his lack of composure in front of goal that astounds me. I’m not talking about the header but his blast it in to row Z shooting. Just seems enormously at odds with his precision passing and intelligent link up play. In a side that has general difficulty with goal scoring I do wonder whether he is an expensive luxury.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s his lack of composure in front of goal that astounds me. I’m not talking about the header but his blast it in to row Z shooting. Just seems enormously at odds with his precision passing and intelligent link up play. In a side that has general difficulty with goal scoring I do wonder whether he is an expensive luxury.

Said same for a while, it’s not greedy to expect a quality midfielder to put ball in the net occasionally especially with the chances he gets. With Bissouma unable to likewise, it’s a weak spot for sure.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I had this discussion with a mate last year who loves Lallana. I get he might not be a great goalscorer, but it's the complete panic and lack of composure that takes over him when he gets into the area and thinks about shooting

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I had this discussion with a mate last year who loves Lallana. I get he might not be a great goalscorer, but it's the complete panic and lack of composure that takes over him when he gets into the area and thinks about shooting

This is it. The problem isn't technical. It's in the brain.

He just needs to be calm and treat the shot or header like he was playing a firm pass in midfield

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I would have thought that should be easily sorted with all the resources the club throw at well-being. I think GP even has a qualification in emotional intelligence.

His finishing is unlikely to massively improve now.

Trouble is, in midfield, we've also got Bissouma who's shooting record for us reads ... Taken = 103, Scored = 3, Ballooned into the stands = 100. We've got Moder whose walked under the worlds biggest ladder, whilst a massive litter of black cats all walked in front of him, whilst being cursed by a gypsy, (well that and he's a bit powder puff). MacAllister who is playing quite well, but deeper and Gross who last scored for us in 1993

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
31 goals across, as it stands, 246 Premier League appearances.

The man has never been a consistent Premier League goal scorer. Ever.

I don't know why people are consistently surprised he doesn't hit the target.

Also, all but 2 of those goals happened in the 2016/17 or earlier seasons - whilst we were a twinkle in the Premier League's eye...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley the actual answer is:-

'I'm sure he'll come good next season and get close to scoring double figures'.

After all that is the standard, lazy, delusional, no nothing, reply when discussing

Mac Alister
Trossard.
Moder.

Previously

March
Propper.
Groß (a bit harsh)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
31 goals across, as it stands, 246 Premier League appearances.

The man has never been a consistent Premier League goal scorer. Ever.

I don't know why people are consistently surprised he doesn't hit the target.

Well, I'm surprised that you haven't picked up the difference between 31 from 246 versus 1 from c50 or, more accurately, 30 from c196 versus 1 from c50

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
His goal scoring record has declined in each of the past 9 seasons from a leak to a dribble (which he is quite good at). He only really scored at Premier level in a side in which you couldn’t help but score.
Happy he is with us for his experience and creativity, and pleased he has stayed reasonably fit, but all this isn’t going to help us until we get a striker or two on his wavelength. Time is not on his or our side.

Here he is scoring in that side. The difference as I see it is not that he is shooting from better positions, but that he has more time and can relax more because his teammates' runs and movement are making space for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0drqgWf-aE

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's not just the lack of goals but the lack of contribution to goals that annoys me. Yes, he's obviously a very classy player that brings a lot to the squad, but for our top earner, you'd expect more than 3 goal involvements in 52 games. Compare that to the often (recently) maligned Pascal Gross who, minus the penalties, has been involved in 12 goals in 61 games during Lallana's time at the club and you do start to question Lallana's true value. I like him a lot, but he needs to improve or we won't.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Absolutely. Said it before. Say it again. Should got rid by now. He might be classy but he can’t score. And he can’t score because he’s scared to shoot. And when he does…he’s fecking awful at.

We need better. If we’re brutally honest for this simple reason. At this level we need a great passer AND someone who scores more than once every 3 years.

Commentator described him as “Timed”

Hard to disagree.

Then there’s his fitness…Yep, not a fan of as you can tell.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't think we should get rid, but his finishing is shocking and I thought his passing against Man U was pretty poor. Even for the goal he gets the pace and direction wrong for a left footed March

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here