Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lallana's finishing

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Absolutely. Said it before. Say it again. Should got rid by now. He might be classy but he can’t score. And he can’t score because he’s scared to shoot. And when he does…he’s fecking awful at.

We need better. If we’re brutally honest for this simple reason. At this level we need a great passer AND someone who scores more than once every 3 years.

Commentator described him as “Timed”

Hard to disagree.

Then there’s his fitness…Yep, not a fan of as you can tell.

I think he was a long term signing and will become one of the coaches. Great player at times but has not really delivered.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Absolutely. Said it before. Say it again. Should got rid by now. He might be classy but he can’t score. And he can’t score because he’s scared to shoot. And when he does…he’s fecking awful at.

We need better. If we’re brutally honest for this simple reason. At this level we need a great passer AND someone who scores more than once every 3 years.

Commentator described him as “Timed”

Hard to disagree.

Then there’s his fitness…Yep, not a fan of as you can tell.
Came in to retire and take a coaching role. It was well documented at the time of the transfer.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Think the header was ok, good save.

I disagree, he mistimed it completely, didn’t generate any power and the placement wasn’t great either. You’d expect a Premier League winning attacking midfielder and former England footballer to score that. I’d give it about .8 on xG. The Groß one was somehow worse, though.

The problem with Lallana, as I noted when I started this thread, is that he never actually looks like he can score. He confidence in front of goal is absolutely shot and at this stage I can’t see it coming back.

I’m at the stage now where as much as I admire his skill as a midfielder, I’d rather have Groß out of the two of them for the goals, assists and set pieces. And I’m not convinced I like both together. One has to go and I’m afraid the lack of goals seals it being Lallana, for me Clive

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For a player of such obvious talent and skill, it's actually incredible how bad his finishing is

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I didn't know until now that it was Lallana with the header but I should have guessed . It really should have been buried and given Pope no chance. Oh for Glenn Murray in his pomp.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Should have scored the header but quality again today.

My favourite player of ours to watch, his touch is just exquisite.

Well you say that. But his stats read:

2020-21: P:30 Goals:1 Assists:1
2021-22: P:24 Goals:0 Assists:1
2022-23: P:2 Goals:0 Assists:0

That "exquisite touch" doesn't seem to result in much. And as has been firmly established on this thread, once he's in the box he shows all the touch and composure of a man with his shorts on fire. He is literally one of the worst finishers I have ever seen at BHA. And I still remember Noone.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
For a player of such obvious talent and skill, it's actually incredible how bad his finishing is

It is incredible. He was far from the only one to blame today to be fair

Surely the answer is the play him but not in such an advanced position, that way he's less likely to be the one who the chances fall to. If you have weaknesses try to hide them.

I'd have him back with Caicedo. MacAllister looks a player who should be competing for a place further up the pitch, so you could just swap them

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I disagree, he mistimed it completely, didn’t generate any power and the placement wasn’t great either. You’d expect a Premier League winning attacking midfielder and former England footballer to score that. I’d give it about .8 on xG. The Groß one was somehow worse, though.

The problem with Lallana, as I noted when I started this thread, is that he never actually looks like he can score. He confidence in front of goal is absolutely shot and at this stage I can’t see it coming back.

I’m at the stage now where as much as I admire his skill as a midfielder, I’d rather have Groß out of the two of them for the goals, assists and set pieces. And I’m not convinced I like both together. One has to go and I’m afraid the lack of goals seals it being Lallana, for me Clive

.8 is more likely than a penalty.

The header would be around .4 at most. Groß chance was way more

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

That "exquisite touch" doesn't seem to result in much. And as has been firmly established on this thread, once he's in the box he shows all the touch and composure of a man with his shorts on fire. He is literally one of the worst finishers I have ever seen at BHA. And I still remember Noone.

He's more the player dictating the tempo and playing the balls before assists than the player assisting.

Also assist numbers don't show creativity with us, Cucurella had one assist last season, we just can't finish.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To clarify I think he was an excellent player and we’ve got a lot more games from him than I expected, with his injury problems and at this late stage of his career. I merely thinking pragmatically, much like Hughton had reached his ceiling with us, so have we with Adam. He’s done well, helped us improve massively and hopefully will be involved in coaching going forward. But now we one who can score a few as well

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There was little wrong with the header. Down and in the corner. It was just a very good save. You could nit pick and say it should have had more force but he’s not a No.9. Full credit to the bloke to putting himself in that position. Far easier not to make the run.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There was little wrong with the header. Down and in the corner. It was just a very good save. You could nit pick and say it should have had more force but he’s not a No.9. Full credit to the bloke to putting himself in that position. Far easier not to make the run.

Blimey, if he’s playing he should be putting himself in that position, otherwise why is he out there?
Disagree on that one 😃

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think you are arguing against yourself there sir.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It was terrible.

He took the pace off the cross with his poor timing, and if anything should have gone the other side. I actually thought that was a worse miss than Gross.

Wasn't a very hard cross and he placed the header where it should be. Dont think it was that bad... it was pretty much what you can expect in the air from a dwarfy AMC.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Wasn't a very hard cross and he placed the header where it should be. Dont think it was that bad... it was pretty much what you can expect in the air from a dwarfy AMC.

Don’t agree.
It was said up for a glance rather than a soft effort that resulted.

I think Pascal would have buried it, perhaps even any of the other midfielders - like the dwarfs AMC comment though 😃👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here