Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lallana SINGS extension to Summer 2024

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
If we want him to be a coach, then we should employ him as one. I don’t think we should sign him as a player for any longer, he sadly doesn’t have the legs anymore.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If we want him to be a coach, then we should employ him as one. I don’t think we should sign him as a player for any longer, he sadly doesn’t have the legs anymore.
Why?

If he is here as a coach anyway, why is it better for him to NOT be registered as a player, in the event we want him to contribute on the pitch?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think people underestimate the importance of individuals such as Lallana and Milner. On one of the recent official Albion podcasts, Hinshelwood is the latest in a long line of guests who absolutely RAVE about having guys like those two around. They might not be starters week in, week out, but we've seen in the past few weeks the job that Adam can do when he comes on – and young guys get to learn from that and also off the pitch (or in training).

He's clearly got SOMETHING or else RDZ would have him nowhere near the pitch. As long as the coach thinks he's up to it, then it's all good with me!

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Why?

If he is here as a coach anyway, why is it better for him to NOT be registered as a player, in the event we want him to contribute on the pitch?

Mainly wages. I expect he’ll get much less as a coach than he would on a playing contract. That money can go into buying replacements or keeping existing players we would rather not sell.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mainly wages. I expect he’ll get much less as a coach than he would on a playing contract. That money can go into buying replacements or keeping existing players we would rather not sell.
In that case, I refer you to Post #119

We have ZERO knowledge on what wages Lallana would expect to receive for an additional year of learning on the job, in a player / coach role.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Great to hear he´ll be very important to transition to new manager just like was important when RDZ came. Think he´s falling off as a player but as someone to come on for final 15 and unlock opponents I think he can still play a part for us on the pitch. Think when day comes for him to quit he´ll also leave us as I see him aspiring to become head coach and not part of a staff so this was maybe the only way to keep his quality and personality around. He´s been solid for us though was frankly hoping for a little more when he signed him

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
In that case, I refer you to Post #119

We have ZERO knowledge on what wages Lallana would expect to receive for an additional year of learning on the job, in a player / coach role.

I know we don’t know what he’ll be paid but I would expect there will be a significant gap between players wages and that of the coaching staff.

It’s not just about what Lallana wants, you have to pay everyone in line with others in the same role. If he is signed as a player but only does coaching, how happy would the other coaches be with that? He’s barely played this season, we can probably know he won’t play much at all next season, we have to be sensible and pay staff for the job they are doing.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'd agree with this. A mate, who attended the Albion throughout lockdown (as a journalist), said he couldn't wait for crowds to come back because without them all you could hear was Lallana screaming for 90 mins. He just never let the standards drop.

He's a leader, he's embedded into the club superbly, and (whilst I've found myself frustrated by him on occasion) done a really good job for us. As @hans kraay fan club says, if it works for all parties, he'll stay.

That was 4 years ago. It's 4 years more injuries to an already injury prone player, 4 years older and less athletic, 4 years more knocks.

Yes he's been (and probably still is) instrumental for the youngsters. But he can hardly run and keep up with the play. Yes his nous does keep him from falling behind at the moment, but in another year?

I think we should be using the wages he'd be earning as a player, investing in younger players to fill key roles in the team. And move him over to a coaching role.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That was 4 years ago. It's 4 years more injuries to an already injury prone player, 4 years older and less athletic, 4 years more knocks.

Yes he's been (and probably still is) instrumental for the youngsters. But he can hardly run and keep up with the play. Yes his nous does keep him from falling behind at the moment, but in another year?

I think we should be using the wages he'd be earning as a player, investing in younger players to fill key roles in the team. And move him over to a coaching role.
As @hans kraay fan club said, there's no way that Lallana will be earning the wages that he was 4 years ago. And as I say, it's got to work for all parties. If he says that he is going to refuse a significant pay cut, then it's not going to work is it?

Yes one more year for me

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Total luxury player.
Doesn't score or assist and can't play more than 45 minutes a week.

Lovely to watch, but he doesn't add anything to us, on the pitch, that others can't.
100 appearance at an average of 48 minutes per appearance, over 4 seasons.
2/3s of those minutes from his first two seasons.

It really is diminishing returns,
We really shouldn't be thinking of extending his contract
I felt that we kept the ball far better when he came on against Liverpool. This meant their attacks were more sporadic.

He is just the kind of player you want to come on, sit and organise in those kind of situations.

Still a place for him as far as I am concerned.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I felt that we kept the ball far better when he came on against Liverpool. This meant their attacks were more sporadic.

He is just the kind of player you want to come on, sit and organise in those kind of situations.

Still a place for him as far as I am concerned.
You mean he helped us hold on for a loss?

Surely the type of player we want to come on in those situations, is someone who can affect the game and create opportunities?
No?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You mean he helped us hold on for a loss?

Surely the type of player we want to come on in those situations, is someone who can affect the game and create opportunities?
No?
It looked to me like he gave us a basis for a few more chances. So yeah, that kind of player.

Not sure what player was going to turn the game to the extent you are suggesting but my guess is we can't attract or afford him yet... In the mean time I am happy with Adam.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It looked to me like he gave us a basis for a few more chances. So yeah, that kind of player.

Not sure what player was going to turn the game to the extent you are suggesting but my guess is we can't attract or afford him yet... In the mean time I am happy with Adam.
We can't afford to buy the players we need, because we are paying wages to players who contribute 30 mins per appearance and in that period can only provide a basis for other players to create opportunities.

He' s a luxury player.

21/22 - Averaged 60 minutes per appearance
22/23 - averaged 45 minutes per appearance
23/24 - averaged 30 minutes per appearance

Great player - but he will be using up a squad berth and wages next season.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We can't afford to buy the players we need, because we are paying wages to players who contribute 30 mins per appearance and in that period can only provide a basis for other players to create opportunities.

He' s a luxury player.

21/22 - Averaged 60 minutes per appearance
22/23 - averaged 45 minutes per appearance
23/24 - averaged 30 minutes per appearance

Great player - but he will be using up a squad berth and wages next season.
Yep, time for him to step sideways and join the coaching staff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know we are just posting opinions, but the more I think about it . . . .

We can't know what the man contributes.
Whether he stays or goes will be a matter for him and the club.
We can't petition the club to keep him or let him go. That would be silly.
Our outrage if he goes or stays won't matter.

For these reasons, I'm out.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

This, fully trust those with all the info around this decision, they'll do the right thing.

I love hearing lallana talk about football though and hope this continues.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

If everyone took all of those factors into account for EVERY topic on NSC, this place would be like the MARY CELLESTE :tumble:

:moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If everyone took all of those factors into account for EVERY topic on NSC, this place would be like the MARY CELLESTE :tumble:

:moo:
I know. :lolol:

And, paradoxically, if I really felt strongly about the issue I wouldn't have said what I said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here