JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Is it Kai-pers
or Kow-pers
or Koo-pers
or Cup-ers
I don't think Andy Townsend got his name right once.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Can't remember where it was, but Kippers was my favourite.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
To be fair,United never got near enough to him often enough for Toonsand to perfect his name.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
also 10 years at Brighton were expunged from his history. they seemed interested in his Marine career and the footballing histories of most other Crawley players, which at times was rather more interesting that the game itself.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
It's "Kaupers/Kowpers" actually, that would be the dutch pronunciation.

"Huis" in Dutch is pronaunced "Haus" (more or less the same as what it means in English - "house").

Another example is "Zuid" which sounds more like its English meaning, as it is pronounced "Zaud" - "South".

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom

"Huis" in Dutch is pronaunced "Haus" (more or less the same as what it means in English - "house").

Another example is "Zuid" which sounds more like its English meaning, as it is pronounced "Zaud" - "South".

Despite the fact that everyone ( including BBC Sussex) pronounced it as in kay-pers (as in kayak) this is correct and it sounded to me like that's what he was saying yesterday most of the time.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Actually it's none of them. The 'ui' diphthong sound in Dutch is one that we don't really have. The nearest I can describe is it's a bit like the 'ow' sound in 'how' or 'now' when spoken with a Northern Irish accent. Actually, that's not quite it. You have to start by saying a long 'o' but do not round your lips at the end. Oh, just f***ing find some Dutch footage and listen to it.

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX0aER6bKRw

Incidentally, Kay'pers is how it would be pronounced in Afrikaans, as in the former cricketer Adrian Kuiper.

Last edited:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town

This is not really correct. The Dutch 'huis' is not pronounced like the German 'Haus'. Neither German or English have the Dutch 'ui' sound.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports