Kuipers or Smith against Gills

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
Is it me or is does anyone else want to see Smith get a run in the first team.
Kuipers is and always will be a legend at the Albion but there is more to a modern keeper than just shot stopping.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I want him to play

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
Has smith done enough to take the number 1 slot? Its a bit like boxing you have to win the titlke off the bloke with the shirt. Maybe tho

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
Smith could be one of the missing links defensively. If we're not going to give him a chance, why sign him.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Albion legend in decent form despite being let down by a shambolic defence v gaffe prone jock with only shaky performances to his name.

Hmm.

have to disagree his kicking was so poor yesterday he was putting his own defence under pressure as the ball was coming straight back and if a defence looks nervous it has a lot to do with there lack of confidence in whats behind them

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I love Michel Kuipers, but I really liked the look of Graeme Smith at Leyton Orient and I'd give him a run in the side and let him prove why he was practically an ever present playing for Motherwell in the Scottish Premier League.

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
Kuipers kicking is shocking, his distribution has never been his strong point and frankley his decision making needs to be better. Not saying Smith won't ever make a mistake but he came recommended, lets give him a chance. Can't get much worse.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm torn.

On the one hand, he his current average is conceding 3.6 goals a game. We haven't won a game he has played in.

On the other, almost all of those goals are not his fault. He is highly thought of, and perhaps he deserves a run of games. At the very least it will reinforce the fact even Kuiper's position isn't safe (we learned saturday that Virgo's wasn't, so surely Kuiper's isn't).

Defence is a big weakness for us, it is also one of the least settled areas of the field.

Will changing keepers bring strength, or will it bring more instability?

In other words: I can see both arguments and have no strong feeling either way.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Funny people saying stuff about his kicking as I am normally highly critical of his kicking but I thought his kicking was decent yesterday, one or two caught the wind but most reached where they were meant to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Funny people saying stuff about his kicking as I am normally highly critical of his kicking but I thought his kicking was decent yesterday, one or two caught the wind but most reached where they were meant to.

His kicking has been decent all season. He perhaps does it too much, if anything.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

But you have to remember that they are blinkered and dwell on what happened several years ago and not what happens this season, hence going on about his kicking, (which has greatly improved in the last 2 seasons)

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Actually, a run in the team might not be too bad for jocko because we're defending like such retards at the moment (and he'd only add to it) so it would almost certainly signal the end of his albion career before it's even got going.

What is wrong with you?! Stop wanking over him for goodness sake! Are you actually in love with the bloke or something?!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Smith could be one of the missing links defensively. If we're not going to give him a chance, why sign him.

He has had a chance but failed to make the number 1 spot his own, Kuipers won his place back, and Smith has to take the place on merit rather than just because some would like to see him play.

Smith has since made several mistakes and hasn't performed as well as maybe he could have, which might be why Kuipers is still in the first team at present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports