Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers "50/50" for Saturday

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
According to Gus on official site, C`mon Michel, we need you saturday, have an injection if you need to, just get yourself there. My wife will massage your groin for you, gladly. :wink:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone else wondering whether the outcome of this could be the difference between winning and drawing or drawing and losing?

From what people say about Smith...

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Smith deserves a chance behind a defence that can actually defend IMO.

I've been giving Smith the 'benefit of the doubt' until last night, but the difference in the way we defended last night in the 2nd half - compared to the 1st - has made me realise his shortcomings. He has very little authority in his area; doesn't communicate at all well with his back 4; doesn't like coming for crosses & generally looked shakey. The defence looked reasonably comfortable & confident with The FDM behind them & they all looked like they were part of the same 'unit'. Compare that with what happened when Smith came on after H/T & it was like chalk & cheese imo.

Feel free to disagree folks (!) - but I think we need Michel between the sticks against Leeds if we're gonna get something out of the game.

Smith and Davies got there comeuppance last night. Smith was exposed to the watchful eyes of the crowd more than ever as the defense were performing and Kuipers was left with doing the basics right. When Smith came on he didn't get the basics right and displayed diabolical lacks of communication.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
the vibes arent good i feel, think his chances are decidedly dodgy for saturday, cmon, get that deep heat on it, michel and have a good old soak in the bath!

I've been giving Smith the 'benefit of the doubt' until last night, but the difference in the way we defended last night in the 2nd half - compared to the 1st - has made me realise his shortcomings. He has very little authority in his area; doesn't communicate at all well with his back 4; doesn't like coming for crosses & generally looked shakey. The defence looked reasonably comfortable & confident with The FDM behind them & they all looked like they were part of the same 'unit'. Compare that with what happened when Smith came on after H/T & it was like chalk & cheese imo.

Feel free to disagree folks (!) - but I think we need Michel between the sticks against Leeds if we're gonna get something out of the game.

Every single word of that is bang on IMO.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Sounds pretty spot on to me, but add to that his need to take 3 or 4 touches before clearing a back pass, something he was very lucky to get away with when it was still 1 - 0.

If he does end up having a run in the side, I hope he can settle quickly and sort out these problems, he is still learning and these areas that he needs to work on and improve if he is going make it in this league.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Anyone else notice the fact smith comes right to the tip of his area when executing a goal kick so much so, that it is technically handball by the time he releases!

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...

Totally agree !!!!

He scared the shit out of me last night. My Gus Poyet, "we're gonna win everything" vibe had changed to the Micky Adams, "we're gonna concede loadsa goals" vibe... Didn't like it at all...

I don't even know wether he has the potential to be our No1 if/when Kuips retires... At the moment I'd say no !!!

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Anyone else notice the fact smith comes right to the tip of his area when executing a goal kick so much so, that it is technically handball by the time he releases!

Rarely see a free kick awarded tho. Anyone remember who the keeper was who was penalised against Plymouth about 5 years ago down there when we got stuffed 5-1 ?

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex

Spot on I'm afraid. Like many other fans, I am keen to give McSmiffy a chance to prove himself but he really doesn't look like doing it. The comedy moment with him and Elf-dick (again) last night only cost us a corner in the end. It could have cost us a goal and if Wycombe had got their tails up, could have cost us the match.

Stick him back in the reserves to sort out his weaknesses, wait until his voice has broken and then have another look to see if he is a capable No2 to FDM, IMO.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
When Michel did his left back impression on Sunday, the people held their breath. Silence for a split second. Then they realised it was Michel and it would be alright, we started to cheer, then he executed the perfect long pass up the wing and caused Harding (boooo) to head it out of play, to even louder applause. :clap2: Legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here