Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Krept and Konan - official England track

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Is there any evidence that this is an official England song?

The documentary doesn't claim it's official and there's nothing from The FA, it seems that the Metro newspaper reported on 19 May that K&K were writing an England anthem and The Argus etc added the word official.

I could be wrong but I reckon you're all getting upset over nothing.

Also quite amusing people saying they're approaching 50 as a reason for not liking rap.

You would have been in your 20s for the 90's (second) golden age. It's not some genre that's just appeared!

Besides this is obviously the official song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SstubYNYZ7Q

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Krept and Konan have been pictured with Gareth Southgate and the BBC made a documentary about the making of the song.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Krept and Konan have been pictured with Gareth Southgate and the BBC made a documentary about the making of the song.

The documentary doesn't claim it's an official song, The FA hasn't said it's an official song, K&K haven't said it's an official song, they met Southgate as part of the documentary.

The first occurrence I can find of it being named as an official song is in The Argus who appear to have just inaccurately copied a Metro article, this was picked up by NME and repeated elsewhere.

Tellingly The Argus headline is 'Krept and Konan will write England's official Euro 2020 football anthem' yet across the other Newsquest publications the same day the headline is 'Krept and Konan to create football anthem for the Euros'

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Official or not, those lyrics are utterly abysmal - and I quite like rap music.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I could be wrong but I reckon you're all getting upset over nothing.

You are wrong.
I’m definitely not getting upset, taking the piss… yes, getting upset over a football song…no.
Can’t speak for others that have posted but looks like plenty are also taking the piss. :)

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It's quite a good track but awful as an England tune.
Why is it ole?ole is Spain not England.
I'm guessing they heard us singing for Bruno but didn't realise he was Spanish.
Ole!England is quite a major fail.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The documentary doesn't claim it's an official song, The FA hasn't said it's an official song, K&K haven't said it's an official song, they met Southgate as part of the documentary.

The first occurrence I can find of it being named as an official song is in The Argus who appear to have just inaccurately copied a Metro article, this was picked up by NME and repeated elsewhere.

Tellingly The Argus headline is 'Krept and Konan will write England's official Euro 2020 football anthem' yet across the other Newsquest publications the same day the headline is 'Krept and Konan to create football anthem for the Euros'

Err..,they meet up with Gareth Southgate (the England manager btw), who gives them tips on what he thinks their England song should focus on. As well as Eni Oluko and Declan Rice.

Yeah, this is supposed to be the England Euro 2020 anthem for the summer. The FA backed it. The BBC backed it. And its died on its arse because its turned out to be an utter embarrasment for all involved.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
As someone who likes a chunk of the genre my opinion is that's shit. Flow is clapped for starters. Proper cringe and wonder who target audience actually is.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Err..,they meet up with Gareth Southgate (the England manager btw), who gives them tips on what he thinks their England song should focus on. As well as Eni Oluko and Declan Rice.

Yeah, this is supposed to be the England Euro 2020 anthem for the summer. The FA backed it. The BBC backed it. And its died on its arse because its turned out to be an utter embarrasment for all involved.

and as such is not worthy of any reaction other than ......meh...! the f.a have really dropped the ball here imho.

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I like rap and hip hop, mostly I'm an old man that sticks to Wu Tang and its offshoots, I even like some grime like the freestyle Fire in the Booth stuff.

But holy shit that guys voice at 2:40 what even in the fack is that lol. Mad ting.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not really my bag, but sounds like something the Bobkin Jnrs would listen to.

Can't believe how many posters are moaning so much about a song, though :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Football songs are generally appalling. I know as I own quite a lot of them. The international ones seem to fall into a number of categories: 1) Get the players to chant a singalong with some musicians; 2) Get a big name musician (or a few together) to record something anthemic; 3) take a punt on someone who has expressed an interest in football and see what they do. (4) A cover version of a well known song done by someone who is flavour of the month. This seems like category (3) and that is to be applauded. They've gone to an act and said 'come up with something that expresses your love of football / the England team'.

It seems that they've approached Krept & Konan in an attempt to try to redress the under-representation of black and brown people in the match-going population. Once again, a good intention, although I suspect its not the absence of a grime track that is discouraging larger representation from the communities they are targeting. Its notoriously difficult to represent a whole country in a song, particularly one as conflicted and confused about its identity as England. This one has done what a lot of songs do and referenced a lot of player's names. It doesn't usually work as a list doesn't have a lot of meaning / emotional connection for the listener. The chorus is catchy, although I suspect not catchy enough to give the crossover appeal that the likes of Stormzy and Dave have achieved over the last couple of years. It won't go down as anywhere near the worst England song, let alone the worst official one (Your crown is safe Stock, Aitken & Waterman).

Where it does seem to misstep is in terms of representation. Not K&K's fault really as they do what they do and aren't who you would pick if you wanted wide representation. However, its noticeable that no women seem to be on the track. The first woman in the video turns up after a minute and she is one of, at the most, half a dozen, all of whom are extras except Vicki Gommersal who is just shown interviewing the artists. The video features fans as the back up. Nearly all of them are young and male, quite a lot have cans in their hands. This is the stereotypical view of football fans in the wider population and won't go too far in dragging in those who aren't currently interested in supporting England. It's not a particular criticism of the act or the film maker as they have just gone route one and gone to the fans to get footage. However, for the FA, which is trying to widen its reach, to encourage an equal opportunities agenda and to move the game away from the image of gangs of drunk lads, its a strange choice. The video looks cheaply produced. This could be intentional, but is surprising for an official record. The impression given is that the FA wanted the documentary, but after that was over, their involvement tailed off quickly. It would be interesting to hear what K&K have to say later on when they are free to talk openly. Its worth remembering that even New Order, who made one of the best and most successful official England records have expressed regret (no pun intended) at ever getting involved with the whole business.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
However, its noticeable that no women seem to be on the track. The first woman in the video turns up after a minute and she is one of, at the most, half a dozen, all of whom are extras except Vicki Gommersal who is just shown interviewing the artists.

So where do you suggest these women appear in the video?

Potentially, you could have footage of a woman in an England top on all fours when Konan sings in Verse 1 "She love when I go deeper (Nasty), she good with her throat" or you could have her removing the rubber johnny off Konan's cock when he sings" Take off the dom, she like how it feel".

Maybe the first woman could be black and the second one white? it would certainly hit the FA's target of racial diversity and inclusivity.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
So where do you suggest these women appear in the video?

Potentially, you could have footage of a woman in an England top on all fours when Konan sings in Verse 1 "She love when I go deeper (Nasty), she good with her throat" or you could have her removing the rubber johnny off Konan's cock when he sings" Take off the dom, she like how it feel".

Maybe the first woman could be black and the second one white? it would certainly hit the FA's target of racial diversity and inclusivity.

I wouldn't expect it to have crossed K&K's mind. I'm just saying that the FA has gone into a fish & chip shop looking for a bag of nails and have found to their surprise that the place only sells fish and chips.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Not really my bag, but sounds like something the Bobkin Jnrs would listen to.

Can't believe how many posters are moaning so much about a song, though :lolol:

My amusement has moved on to laughing at people who are still clutching their pearls about sexual lyrics whilst the pretty blatant lyrics about dealing cocaine and shooting people fly under their radar :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My amusement has moved on to laughing at people who are still clutching their pearls about sexual lyrics whilst the pretty blatant lyrics about dealing cocaine and shooting people fly under their radar :lolol:

and all in a song sanctioned by the England football team and the F.A .....:lolol: :lolol: indeed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Possibly the same people who were/are fans of artists from the 1960s who were WELL under the influence of all sorts of things while producing their music!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here