Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kraftwerk - More influential than the Beatles?

More influential than The Beatles?

• Ja

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • Nein

Votes: 118 76.1%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its worth also remembering that Kraftwerk started out as a Krautrock band and that this genre of experimental music was massively influenced by the Beatles so you can see how their influence runs through in to electronic music. Revolver is arguably the starting point for the development of experimental, psychedelic and progressive rock and making experimental music popular.

Interesting, this is what I posted 3 years ago.

The minimalism and improvisation of early Krautrock, the scene from which Kraftwerk emerged, largely, eschewed the more traditional arrangements employed by bands like The Beatles IMHO. I'm therefore not convinced a line can be drawn directly from The Beatles to Kraftwerk.

Music is partly about opinions :smile:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's a fair question. I'm going to say they both had an equal but different influence. (I am slightly biased being a keyboard player in a synth band and a huge fan of Kraftwerk, without that I may have plumped for the Beatles)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't see why someone under the age of 25 really needs to know who Paul McCartney is. When was the last time he released anything decent?

That's like saying Mozart is shit because he hasn't done anything of note in a while. Why does it matter when they produced their best work?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Karl Bartos , one of the classic Kraftwerk line up said this about The Beatles .

aff365a856eda1c3b3d38d175b3a5608.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Karl Bartos , one of the classic Kraftwerk line up said this about The Beatles . And about that classic opening chord of A Hard Days Night. Changed his life and no doubt helped invent Kraftwerk.

aff365a856eda1c3b3d38d175b3a5608.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's like saying Mozart is shit because he hasn't done anything of note in a while. Why does it matter when they produced their best work?

Imho Bach was more influential than Mozart anyway. :smile:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm not saying he's shit I love a lot of his work just that I don't understand why someone under the age of 25 NEEDS to know who Paul McCartney is, like it was some crime against music they didn't.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not saying he's shit I love a lot of his work just that I don't understand why someone under the age of 25 NEEDS to know who Paul McCartney is, like it was some crime against music they didn't.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nah spose they don't need to know. Be useful for their musical education though. Also we all know Macca wasn't the main Beatle to really push the boundaries...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And this really settles your original question: the Beatles were the first to popularise so much of what we hear now in modern music. When you go back to the 60's the Beatles were releasing record after record constantly innovating and revolutionising music with each release.

They were the first really popular band to really push the boundaries, they embraced the use of technology and used innovative studio techniques to differentiate their sound such as including guitar feedback, classical musicians on popular albums, artificial double tracking, close miking of acoustic instruments, sampling, direct injection, synchronizing tape machines, and backwards tapes. Its can be difficult to appreciate the impact looking back, you have to listen to people talking at the time to understand what a earthquake the Beatles were for the music industry.

“They were doing things nobody else was doing,” he later told his biographer Anthony Scaduto. “But I just kept it to myself that I really dug them. Everybody else thought they were just for the teenyboppers, that they were gonna pass right away. But it was obvious to me that they had staying power. I knew they were pointing the direction that music had to go. . . . It seemed to me a definite line was being drawn. This was something that never happened before" Bob Dylan.

"I listened to Rubber Soul, and I said how could they possibly make an album where the songs all sound like they come from the same place. I couldn't deal with it. It blew my mind. And I said, damn it, I've got to do that. I've got to try that with the boys." - Brian Wilson

Its worth also remembering that Kraftwerk started out as a Krautrock band and that this genre of experimental music was massively influenced by the Beatles so you can see how their influence runs through in to electronic music. Revolver is arguably the starting point for the development of experimental, psychedelic and progressive rock and making experimental music popular.
This.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here