Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kompany's red card.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yep, bollocks it was a 2 footed tackle. The arsenal player had lost control and Kompany won what had effectively become a 50/50 ball fairly. If anything the other player should have been booked.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Mike Dean the center of attention again, although I think this was the only call he got wrong

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Koscielny red card was justified, Kompany red was a joke, perfect tackle (imo)

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
Rugby tackle to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity. Fair red card.

But how often do you say rugby tackles happen in the box at corners and set pieces and penalties are never given never mind sendings off??

No way was Kompany's tackle a red card...it wasn't even a foul...the problem is that as soon as one player is sent off, the ref always looks for the next opportunity to even it up...disappointing really...the first red ruined the game...

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
I've just got back from a refereeing course so I may aswell give my 2 pence worth. I also haven't seen the tackle by kompany yet. The law says that a player can be sent off if he makes a tackle with EXCESSIVE FORCE . It makes no mention to him getting the ball or not.

The ref is prob just playing the game to the letter of the law...

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Was definitely a penalty but no way a red card. Dzeko wasn't even looking at the ball. No way would be have scored.

And both feet were studs up for Kompanys challenge. If it had been against an Albion player I'd have wanted a red card for that.

Mike Dean is a very poor ref.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I've just got back from a refereeing course so I may aswell give my 2 pence worth. I also haven't seen the tackle by kompany yet. The law says that a player can be sent off if he makes a tackle with EXCESSIVE FORCE . It makes no mention to him getting the ball or not.

The ref is prob just playing the game to the letter of the law...

I've been critical of Kompany's two footed tackle in the Manchester derby a year ago but this was a one footed tackle using reasonable force. Note that Kompany's right foot was bent behind his left leg at the point of impact with the ball with his left foot.

As for showing studs, it was a ground tackle quite a distance from the Arsenal player's body. Indeed, the Arsenal player fell onto Kompany's body rather than his legs.

Last edited:

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Was definitely a penalty but no way a red card. Dzeko wasn't even looking at the ball. No way would be have scored.

You have got to be kidding? The ball dropped right over his shoulder, he turns to take it and is held back with a challenge that would have been called a foul even in American Football. It was six yards out and in the centre of the goal. Even Tevez, coming in from way behind, still managed to get a header in on goal.

It was exactly the sort of challenge that the rule was brought in all those years ago to try and prevent.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I thought the ref had a good game, and made the right calls. Anyone can watch the replays from all angles and make judgement. The ref gets one look. As an Albion supporter I would have been on my feet calling for a red and penalty if someone had done that to Barnes yesterday. As for kompany from the refs angle both feet left the ground.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Excellent tackle. The ref fell for the whingng 40,000 gooners who had bothered to stay, to get even the numbers.

Neither Wilshire nor Kompany were reckless in endangering an opponent.

Arrogant and inaccurate refereeing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here