Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knight - "I am going to sign"

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Leon Knight has revealed he will sign a two-year contract with Albion today, and blasted Chelsea for not giving him a fair chance.

The Seagulls' mini marvel is making his loan move from Stamford Bridge permanent on a free transfer after turning down Queens Park Rangers.

Knight had talks with Rangers on Tuesday after scoring both goals in Albion's 2-1 win against them at Withdean the night before.

But the diminutive 20-year-old says he has never been in any doubt that Albion are the right club for him.

He told The Argus last night: "I am going to sign tomorrow. I want to get out of Chelsea and Steve Coppell and Brighton are the right combination for me.

"I made the decision the day after the Rangers game, although I knew as soon as I joined the club really. It wasn't a difficult decision, I spoke to Rangers out of courtesy.

"The gaffer (Coppell) pulled me in a week ago and said Brighton would match any contract QPR put on the table. They put a good contract on the table and Brighton bettered it.

"I've settled in straight away here and felt at home. It is the most comfortable I have been since leaving the National School of Excellence at Lilleshall.

"I had a good time at Huddersfield, but I still didn't feel like I do now. It's a good feeling. It is early days, but we've had the start we wanted. We have worked hard in training and the spirit is fantastic.

"I don't see any reason why we can't be where we are now at the end of the season."

The 5ft 4ins Knight has fired four goals in two League games since arriving from Chelsea last month in a two-month loan deal. It has taken Albion to the top of the table and eased the pain for fans of Bobby Zamora's £1.5 million move to Spurs.

Chelsea, now bankrolled by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich, previously loaned him out to QPR, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday.

"I want to put Chelsea behind me, I feel they have been holding me back," Knight said. "This move gives me stability, no more talk of the loanee from Chelsea or going back to Chelsea and proving myself over and over again.

"I have been there since 13. I am 20 now yet I have made one appearance and a few as a sub, so it is going to be a relief to know I am in a place where they want me."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Top man. That must be some team spirit at the club - so many players go out of their way to mention it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
:eek: Can't say I read the forums before posting it.

Also, when he says he wants to be somewhere he's wanted. Well thats well done to the fans for getting behind him so much. :thumbsup:

LEON KNIGHT KNIGHT KNIGHT :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yeah, like copy n paste, scratch my arse, press the add new post button. ;)

ojalbion

Jul 7, 2003
this is my first leon knight post, ill keep it short as its probably been said elsewhere but if he signs it will be absolutely fantastic for the club and morale of everyone post BZ, big hand to DK and SC and all the players, the spirit of the club has potentially got us a great player

sign on the line leon

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Fantastic stuff, perfect way to start a thursday! I like the bit about we would match QPR's offer then we bettered it....good stuff SC & DK :clap:

Brady's Old Lady

Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Turkey said:

"The gaffer (Coppell) pulled me in a week ago and said Brighton would match any contract QPR put on the table. They put a good contract on the table and Brighton bettered it.

That's the bit that that impresses me. We were actually competitive in signing a player!!

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
jeremy beadles hand said:
Anyone know when the press conference will be, or will they wait until Kanchelskis signs

It's all gone a little quiet over Kanchelskis - anybody think like I do that signing Little Leon has scuppered our plans to sign AK - as we no longer have enough cash for his salary? - or will DK pull off one of the coolest press conferences a second div side has ever given by unveiling Leon and AK at the same time??

I wouldn't mind if we have signed Leon over AK as he is our future whereas AK - although a hell of a coup - would only be with us short term

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
LK gets the contract he wanted, the pressure's off him to prove himself, the goals dry up and we make an instant return to Div III :p

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
no knight , rougier and kanchelskis all shown to the public at the same time ( whoops i'm fired as DK's assistant):lolol:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
rougier's gone to Brentford braders but nice idea :)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Besides which Rougier would trip over Knight :lol:

Best news since Copell signed his contract. Rumours abound that 100K was the price tag. If so the last bloke we paid that for was quite handy! :clap:

The fact that we offerred to beat whatever QPR put on the table has demonstarted that the board can deliver when they aware of something special. Well done Steve & Dick.:clap2: :bounce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here