Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kjell Scherpen - Albion in talks with Ajax Goalkeeper (Signed 16/07/2021)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unless McGill has signed a new deal it looks like he is out of contract in under 3 weeks time ?

He has played 1 league game for Crawley.

He simply isn't ready to be our 3rd choice even if he signs up.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There was so much ongoing silence over this deal that I reckoned it was off.

I assume he wouldn't sign while we had 4 senior keepers on the books and the Ryan sale has unblocked the move.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Surely any goalkeeper is being signed as a number 2 to Sanchez?

He's being signed to be part of the three senior keepers - Sanchez, Steele and Scherpen now that Ryan's departure is imminent and Walton's likely departure this summer has been reported several times. Sanchez clearly current #1.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Surely any goalkeeper is being signed as a number 2 to Sanchez?

This kid is only 21, I assume this is part of the succession planning the club are on about, get him signed and ready for a couple of seasons time if Sanchez is sold on. He may even go out on loan if we sign him as he is fairly inexperienced, dependent on what happens with Walton as well. Ajax were going to send him to another Eredivisie side in PEC Zwolle for the 21-22 season.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
At most he'll be number 2 next season. Or possibly loaned out and we sign someone more experienced as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There was so much ongoing silence over this deal that I reckoned it was off.

I assume he wouldn't sign while we had 4 senior keepers on the books and the Ryan sale has unblocked the move.

Could have been work permit question marks as well. I'm no expert but I struggle to see how he gets one.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Ben Roberts is one of the best goalkeeper coaches around and so I expect he’ll be at the Albion deputising for Sanchez, getting coached by Roberts and playing a few U23 games for real game practice. Maybe play a couple of cup games too.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
"Of course we have several options," continued Ten Hag, without going into names. A player whose trainer seems to have already said goodbye is Kjell Scherpen. The goalkeeper is on his way to Brighton & Hove Albion and is not on training camp. Rumors of a transfer to the Premier League have been going around for some time. However, an official press release about a transfer is not forthcoming. "The fact that he is not here is of course a signal that we are not counting on him this season," said the trainer. "But a lot can come between them, so it's unpredictable in that regard."

https://m.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=390846

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I reckon this is dragging on because of work permit issues.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Cant get excited about signing a no2 keeper. Plenty of time but unless we sign a striker and LB/LWB we will be fighting relegation again. Maybe our problem is to many players on good contracts that cant unload

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here