Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kjell Scherpen - Albion in talks with Ajax Goalkeeper (Signed 16/07/2021)

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Cash plus AJ for this keeper? I cant see it. The total value of the cash plus player seems way higher than any estimation of Scherpen's value.

If they take AJ from us, they've probably agreed to match the remaining wages on his contract which I think has another two years to run and is probably way above the Dutch average pay.
So it could well be Ali J plus cash from us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why does it?
Because we'd be looking at a fee of realistically no more than £5 million for Jahanbakhsh, and the €4 million+ quoted for Scherpen seems inflated.

Because Jahanbakhsh has been linked with a move to Ajax since last summer.

Because of what Alireza apparently said on Iranian TV recently - basically hinting at a move away somewhere :

[tweet]1398210093209075714[/tweet]

It's a possibility I think.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Because we'd be looking at a fee of realistically no more than £5 million for Jahanbakhsh, and the €4 million+ quoted for Scherpen seems inflated.

Because Jahanbakhsh has been linked with a move to Ajax since last summer.

Because of what Alireza apparently said on Iranian TV recently - basically hinting at a move away somewhere :

[tweet]1398210093209075714[/tweet]

It's a possibility I think.

Sorry, I don't follow.

You're saying the £4 million fee that we are allegedly going to pay for Scherpen is too high so likely means we're not actually paying that but sending Ali J in the opposite direction?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Could they be paying us £4-5m + Scherpen for Ali J?

Sorry, I don't follow.

You're saying the £4 million fee that we are allegedly going to pay for Scherpen is too high so likely means we're not actually paying that but sending Ali J in the opposite direction?

I’ve seen Scherpen rumoured to be worth £1.5m or so. Perhaps we’ve agreed the deal but it’s now turned into a player swap with Ali-J plus £4m-£5m coming our way now along with the keeper. Makes sense to me. It’ll save us another £1.5m in wages too I’d assume.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I’ve seen Scherpen rumoured to be worth £1.5m or so. Perhaps we’ve agreed the deal but it’s now turned into a player swap with Ali-J plus £4m-£5m coming our way now along with the keeper. Makes sense to me. It’ll save us another £1.5m in wages too I’d assume.

They signed him two years ago for €1.5m so I doubt they would sell for £1.5m.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
They had this guy 99% done to go to a Dutch team on loan until we came in at the last minute.

Why would they sell him to us for the same fee that they paid for him when they could just loan him to that team and increase his value for a season?

Because he wants to try his hand in a superior league at a higher level?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They had this guy 99% done to go to a Dutch team on loan until we came in at the last minute.

Why would they sell him to us for the same fee that they paid for him when they could just loan him to that team and increase his value for a season?

Strained relation with the fans apparently due to making some pro-Feyenoord tweets in the distant past. They might think its too much of an uphill battle for him to say no to a good bid like that.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
But why would Ajax agree to sell him for a fee the same or less than they paid for him? Doesn't make much sense from the outside.

Like Veltman he might have something in his contract about being allowed to leave to certain leagues if a bid is made for a set fee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here