Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kippers

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've never tried it myself but allegedly, if you're using bagged ones, put a couple of small knife stab holes in the bag. Lay two slices of lemon on the bag and wrap it tightly in silver foil. Now microwave them for 1 minute - I'm told you definitely won't be left with any kipper smell.

Did you not mean cling film rather than tin foil?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Seriously, I enjoy a kipper too, but they certainly are smelly chaps.

NIGEL620_1820144a.jpg

Well this one stinks of fags and booze.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Boil, boil-in-the-bag. DO NOT follow the instruction to pierce, place on plate and microwave. My microwave still stinks 2 years later!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Farage stitch us up like kipper whoops sorry all you brexit I'll except the referendum decision and move on but Farage you should now resign his seat as he has achieved his aims to leave the EU and fucxxx off to America if he likes it that much.Trump puppet .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
How is the best way to cook kippers without leaving a terrible smell in the kitchen. I read that standing them in a jug and adding boiling water works so tried it but I still had the smell lingering for ages.

the boiling water method is best but people dont do it properly.
My mum was from the outer Hebrides and cooked them perfectly with no smell

use the boiling water method, make sure the tails are at the bottom in the boiling water, slice the tail in the middle with scissors about a one inch cut should do it, the odour of the kipper will ooze out naturaly into the water and not be a problem as their smell comes from the back end and not the head

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Cook them the same as smoked haddock. Turn oven on to 160c, wrap fish up in aluminium foil adding a knob or two of butter, cook for 20 mins. When ready remove from oven place under extractor fan [at full power], remove foil and serve. Delicious cooked in their own juices.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An Arbroath Smokie is a thing of beauty. Yes, I know it's not technically a kipper, but still.

r.

I must admit to also enjoying one of them late at night with a good brandy in the study.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Microwave with a cover over the pan - and wash it up IMMEDIATELY after you have served them (with a poached egg).

Why would you wash it up with a poached egg? :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here