Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve not, at any point, suggested that Lallana was a waste of money, I think he’s been a valuable player/coach for us.
I’m not quite sure of the point you’re making regarding Kudus, my opinion is that even if we had signed him for the rumoured £45m we would have made a profit 2 years later. The only reason Lallana was brought into the conversation was because I think people assume Kudus is earning a lot more than he is, so I made a quick Albion player comparison.

My point is that their purported similar wages is an irrelevance.

The club would look at the total cost of fee, agent, contract. They’d also way up risk, there were no guarantees that Kudus wouldn’t become a lemon, the PL is and was littered with highly expensive transfer mistakes.

The vibe I got from TS at the time was that Kudus is arrogant, he’d see us as a stepping stone to a CL club a year later.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I remember reading that Tony Bloom wasn't a fan of doing business in the January window. I don't recall a reason being given.
As SJ said on numerous occasions, he saw the Summer window as long term team building and getting ready for the campaign ahead, the January window was desperate transfers trying to shore up leaks which is where mistakes were made

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

@dazzer6666

Again I don’t dispute your logic and I agree with what you’re saying - wholeheartedly.

I just worry we’ll stand to lose Roberto, which would be a great shame as it felt like were on the cusp of something incredible… it’s not entitlement on my part, just a bit inevitable and sad 😔 if my worse fears come to pass.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
As SJ said on numerous occasions, he saw the Summer window as long term team building and getting ready for the campaign ahead, the January window was desperate transfers trying to shore up leaks which is where mistakes were made
All good common sense, until you realise that we have onboarded six 18 and 19 year olds in this window.

Maybe we are playing this market a bit, and not really following our own advice?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

@dazzer6666

Again I don’t dispute your logic and I agree with what you’re saying - wholeheartedly.

I just worry we’ll stand to lose Roberto, which would be a great shame as it felt like were on the cusp of something incredible… it’s not entitlement on my part, just a bit inevitable and sad 😔 if my worse fears come to pass.
Guess I’m more glass half full. Get our missing players back and we’ve got a seriously competitive squad (as we were proving before we lost so many). In the meantime, the crop of 16-20 year olds (here and out on loan) we have is bordering on ridiculous and bodes well for 2-3 seasons time. If DeZ has a hissy fit and stomps off, we already have a list of potential replacements. If we drop a bit this year then c’est la vie, our EL progress alone has still meant it’s been a decent season.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Guess I’m more glass half full. Get our missing players back and we’ve got a seriously competitive squad (as we were proving before we lost so many). In the meantime, the crop of 16-20 year olds (here and out on loan) we have is bordering on ridiculous and bodes well for 2-3 seasons time. If DeZ has a hissy fit and stomps off, we already have a list of potential replacements. If we drop a bit this year the c’est la vie, our EL progress alone has still meant it’s been a decent season.
Agreed :)

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My point is that their purported similar wages is an irrelevance.

The club would look at the total cost of fee, agent, contract. They’d also way up risk, there were no guarantees that Kudus wouldn’t become a lemon, the PL is and was littered with highly expensive transfer mistakes.

The vibe I got from TS at the time was that Kudus is arrogant, he’d see us as a stepping stone to a CL club a year later.
Haven’t you described our entire business model? We sign Kudus for £xxxM, he receives a not extraordinary salary(hence the Lallana comparison), and a year later the club cash in.
Obviously there’s always a risk involved, as diligent as our recruitment is we can’t always get it 100% correct.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven’t you described our entire business model? We sign Kudus for £xxxM, he receives a not extraordinary salary(hence the Lallana comparison), and a year later the club cash in.
Obviously there’s always a risk involved, as diligent as our recruitment is we can’t always get it 100% correct.

Within limits.

The entire Kudus package was vast compared to typical Bloom signings.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
No-one can be sure, but equally much of the negative speculation about how he’s about to do a Gus is coming from over-analysis of a few comments he’s made in press conferences, and impatience and expectation (and dare I say entitlement) on the part of some of our fans who think we should somehow be following a relentlessly upward trajectory. Fact is our model has been consistent……..we as fans don’t know who we’ve tried to sign, and if deals have fallen through the precise reasons for that, but we know the club ethos on buying players so it’s not difficult to work out.

If I had to guess, I would think Tony is probably a step ahead of the market and playing a longer game, and not spunking tons of cash now because he knows values are about to start tumbling, whilst in the meantime seemingly mopping up every teenage wonderkid he can find.
I think you may be right in your final paragraph. Now that FFP has bared its teeth, there are a lot of sides it seems who will need to sell (and also can’t spend big fees). Which could put Tony in a very strong position. RDZ might go in the summer, but I suspect if Liverpool or Barcelona come calling he’ll be leaving anyway, even if we sign Mbappe

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Yes, but

Yes, but irrespective of injuries, Roberto has asked for three or four to help achieve his ‘historic aspirations’ … he’s got 1.

And we can’t play an array wingers/forwards in defensive midfield.

If I were him, well - I think I’d be just a little disappointed.
He should be pleased he got one then. There is no way anyone gets everything they ask for in fact there must be something like 14 managers that won't be happy if they don't get everything they want. Take a look have you noticed the lack of activity this reason for whatever reason. Also i say i want 4 when i actually realistically hope for 2 and end up with one. We can't just give the manager everything for fear he's going to walk. We were doing ok before so we will have to do ok after. And before anyone say I don't like him i do but he can be quite naive as a manager sometimes. Enjoy the youngsters we signed this window and understand this IS our club's policy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Kudus was also insisting on a release clause wasn’t he (which from what I read at the time wasn’t that high relative to what we were prepared to pay for him) so on that basis he wouldn’t have fitted our model at all………

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's on!

Screenshot_20240201_214134_Chrome.jpg

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

@dazzer6666

Lose him where though? If Liverpool come calling he wouldn't be turning them down because we've signed Dewsbury-Hall.

Anyway, it's the curse of the good young manager. The better they do the more they are in demand. The only way we keep them is if they fail to hit those heights, which is in itself disappointing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here