Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Kieran Trippier on shithousery - "ITS GOOD!"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saw this interview with Trippier over the weekend:

Kieran Trippier’s eyes light up and a little smile plays around the corners of his mouth. Newcastle’s right-back has just been asked about the “dark arts” or, to put it less euphemistically, the “shithousery” Eddie Howe’s team have become noted for and his response is emphatic.

“I love it,” he says. "Of course, opposition fans aren’t going to like it, but I think it’s good to see. I don’t see why everyone’s kicking off about it. It’s good!”

“I’ve experienced these things a lot in Spain. It’s about when to slow a game down. If the opposition are on top, of course you’ve got to kill the game. You’re not going to allow them to take a quick throw-in and say: ‘Carry on.’ Some teams aren’t happy with us this season but it’s about being clever.

“Of course we’ll use it if we need to on Sunday. Man United have hit form and we’ll do everything we can to win. If you want to be successful, you have to be cute. You have to manage every single game well and at the right time. You have to know when to slow it down."

This doesn't tell us anything we don't already know of course, certainly from recent bitter experience. But I found it really depressing reading the words of a player so openly discussing - even celebrating - the cheating that goes on. Describing cheating as being "clever" and "cute" - sorry mate, don't dress it up. Its cheating. Its deception. "You've got to kill the game". Bloody hell. Cheers for that. Thats what we all pay to go and watch isn't it.

I know I'm just howling at the moon with this, but christ. WHAT an arsehole.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Forget all this talk about VAR, the main problem in the game isn't being offside by a millimetre its crap like this that is allowed to pervade through the sport unabated.
I agree and a lot of it could be eliminated with refs managing the game better. Nip time wasting in the bud straight away, and not wait until the 85th minute. Also VAR should be used to determine head injury stops in play. If it is clearly not a head injury and the player is clutching his head it's a straight red card. Any player that sits down to stop play is booked.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’ll temper my reaction to this by saying that I think we’ve become slighly more cynical/professional - depending on how you view it - under RDZ. We’ll foul the goalkeeper to prevent counter-attacks and have no qualms about niggly challenges near the halfway line to break moves down. The same as others have been doing for a long while but I’m not sure it had been noticeable with Albion before as a deliberate ploy.

It’s cheating too I suppose but the punishment of a free-kick and/or yellow card makes me feel it’s just one of those things, even when the opposition do it. What Tripper is talking about - rank time-wasting - pisses me off far more as it’s ruins the game and the offenders invariably get away virtually scot-free. As for feigning injuries to break up play….. I’d moan at an Albion player for that, let alone an opponent.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Forget all this talk about VAR, the main problem in the game isn't being offside by a millimetre its crap like this that is allowed to pervade through the sport unabated.
The derision of VAR is totally justified. There's no reason you can't tackle both. But for the housery, I'd go .....

1) If the ref has stopped the game for an injury to you, you must get on a stretcher and be removed from the field. Refusal to do so is a booking. An independent medical professional has to check you're ok off the pitch. The ref can wave you back on at his discretion.

2) Any player found to have faked a head injury is given an automatic 10 game ban.

3) Time gets added on, properly. Ie world cup style. Referees have discretion to signal to (for example a keeper taking ages, that he is adding double the time being used to the match timings)

4) Referees assessors instructed to mark refs up for the number of bookings given for cynical attempts to slow the game down (like all the players deciding to go for a drink during the first half, that kind of thing)

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
There was another article in the Sunday Times this weekend advocating retrospective bans for cheating, highlighting the incident in the women's game where Ella Toone (I think) was shown a straight red for violent conduct, her opponent rolling around on the floor clutching her face, etc. Subsequent study of the footage showed it was pure simulation, so the red card was rescinded, and more importantly the cheating player received a two game ban. While there is intrinsic risk with ignoring "head injuries" during play, even if it's probable the player is feigning it to gain an advantage, I don't see why retrospective sanctions couldn't be imposed where it is clear the player was trying to dupe the referee. I believe that would soon put a stop to this kind of shitty behaviour.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a little is ok, part of the game, even game managment. elevating to point it's core tactic? well just reflects very badly on footballing ability, shouldn't need it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My opinion as stated on some of the referees threads is that the game has become impossible to referee. It isn't that the standard of refereeing has fallen, it is that cheating, time wasting, all these dark arts have made officiating nigh on impossible. Take head injuries, rather than a rule for their safety, it's now a rule to get the game stopped by clutching your head if you want to stop the game. No referee should need to be making a judgement call on whether a player has suffered or is faking a head injury.

Cheating in the game, or gamesmanship. being cute, whatever you want to name it is no longer the preference of a few rogue players, it is now endemic, it is coached, it is part of tactics and approach to matches.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As noted on the Pl games 1/3/23 thread, Newcastle are in a terrible run of form, and failed yesterday, so Trippier's dark art is doing him much good.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My opinion as stated on some of the referees threads is that the game has become impossible to referee. It isn't that the standard of refereeing has fallen, it is that cheating, time wasting, all these dark arts have made officiating nigh on impossible. Take head injuries, rather than a rule for their safety, it's now a rule to get the game stopped by clutching your head if you want to stop the game. No referee should need to be making a judgement call on whether a player has suffered or is faking a head injury.

Cheating in the game, or gamesmanship. being cute, whatever you want to name it is no longer the preference of a few rogue players, it is now endemic, it is coached, it is part of tactics and approach to matches.
With a surprising number of pundits and fans warming to it over the last 25 years, sadly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also his suggestion that while the players and fans of the opposing team don't like it, the neutrals do.
Yeah that's bollocks. As a neutral it's really boring to see only one side actually attempting to play football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We say all this but we also have a thread on here about Naylor's Athletic piece on Aly Mac's dark arts and the (correct) assertion that he should have picked Veltman. And another one on RDZ equalizing the "where's the ball for the throw in?" shenanigans against Liverpool.

This sort of thing has been endemic for a long while. For a start, any free kick where the ref hasn't used the spray to measure 10 yards always has an opposition player within 10 yards. Yesterday in the Chelsea game the lino made Chilwell go back for a throw from the right place and then let him get away with a worse offence.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I started watching their game highlights yesterday evening and could only manage the first half before turning it off.
Cheat after cheat with some flowing football in between.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good result yesterday for us in terms of a possible 7th place finish. Man Utd cemented on the top 7 - Newcastle not quite so cemented.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Simple ask VAR ref to see if contact was made with the head, if not it's a straight red. Some will say it's harsh, it isn't and it will hardly ever be a red as it will stop

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here