Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kieran McKenna

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am certain Kieran McKenna would absolutely love the Brighton job - everything here is absolutely perfect for him, it would be a dream - and he probably knows that he should do it, because if he doesn't someone else will get it and probably run with it. Ipswich will be in a relegation battle, and a tricky one. But how can he leave Ipswich now? He must wish with every fibre that the Brighton job was coming up in a years time, or that Ipswich had just missed out on promotion, or that he'd been told no money for any new transfers, or some other scenario where he could take the Brighton job.

But he will probably find he has no moral choice to make but to stay at Ipswich.
So he's coming to us then?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Reading that article it doesn't seem to be close, unless I'm missing something. We've not agreed a deal with Ipswich and the article doesn't say KM definitely wants to come?

I just checked how The Guardian reported our next move after Potter left, and they were surprisingly spot on!

Screenshot_20240521-001128~2.png

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One bonus would be shutting up the football writers claiming Manure and Chelsea making moves for McKenna with Poch or Seven Hag possibly about to be sacked.
Another bonus would be having a manager who is actually interested in scoring goals from a set-piece as opposed to the derogatory comments RDZ made against set-piece goals at the fans forum.

2nd. Ipswich Town 23/24

Set-piece goals scored: 19

Premier League-bound Ipswich Town have scored 19 goals from set-pieces this Championship season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another bonus would be having a manager who is actually interested in scoring goals from a set-piece as opposed to the derogatory comments RDZ made against set-piece goals at the fans forum.

2nd. Ipswich Town 23/24

Set-piece goals scored: 19

Premier League-bound Ipswich Town have scored 19 goals from set-pieces this Championship season.

Genuine question, in top flights is it incredibly hard to score from set pieces? I was reading an article about Arne Slot where his coach identified this years ago. Modern defences drag 9 players back, walls still cheat.

I do love it though …. fond memories of bullet headers by Duffy, for example.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Guardian reporting it’s close
How to cover all avenues:

1) In line to move to the Amex Stadium if all the pieces fall in place
2) Chelsea, who are weighing up whether to sack Mauricio Pochettino, have spoken to McKenna’s representatives.
3) There is also strong interest from United
4) Ipswich will hope that he decides to stay and tries to keep them in the top flight.

Id say there is as much rubbish in that article as fact, regardless of whether Albion are interested or not.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Genuine question, in top flights is it incredibly hard to score from set pieces? I was reading an article about Arne Slot where his coach identified this years ago. Modern defences drag 9 players back, walls still cheat.

I do love it though …. fond memories of bullet headers by Duffy, for example.
Zamora peeling round the back of the wall for a Watson cross… BOOM.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Anyone thinking McKenna wouldn't consider us needs a fat headwobble. We are light years ahead of Ipswich in terms of development, infrastructure, budget, squad and academy not to mention an established PL team having just completed our first season in Europe with good grades and another respectable PL finish. Any young manager would relish the prospect of managing us unless they are already at a very good PL club. Ipswich are on a huge steep learning curve next season and given a choice of stepping into a job where its already setup and years down the line of PL development with a massive wage increase and all that comes with managing Brighton versus staying at Ipswich who are guaranteed to struggle from the off I would be surprised if he didn't want to talk to us if interested
Yes, yes but Ipswich are a much “bigger” club 🤣🤣🤣

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
If this happens prepare yourself for another short term appointment if he is successful. If he walks away after two consecutive promotions he’ll walk away again if clubs like United or Chelsea want him in a year or so.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If this happens prepare yourself for another short term appointment if he is successful. If he walks away after two consecutive promotions he’ll walk away again if clubs like United or Chelsea want him in a year or so.
That would be true of anyone, it would be virtually impossible to stop a manager from leaving to a bigger team if they are successful with us.

Our 'system' acknowledges that and tried to put us in the best place to deal with it.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
They have also spent a fair few years in the top flight and played in Europe (I think). Wouldn’t say it’s anywhere near obvious. We might be more attractive at the minute
Played in…?

They won UEFA / “Europa” in the early 80’s.

While I think our recent status is greater than Ipswich I was resigned to accepting that Ipswich are a bigger club during a lockdown quiz argument, and this was when they were in L1. But also when we were pre-good form. I think Ipswich still trump us.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Over the past season both Kompany and Edwards have been lauded as good managers with bright futures.
However since the relegations have become more and more inevitable, so the talk of their futures has abayed somewhat

I'm sure McKenna has a bright future, but the reality is, he will need to stay up with Ipswich, to keep his reputation intact.
With Burnley, Luton and Sheffield United going down and Leicester + Leeds or Southampton coming up. It will be a Much tougher job.

I don't know whether I want him or not, but I think he would be wise to consider every offer he gets from "established" Premier league clubs.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Played in…?

They won UEFA / “Europa” in the early 80’s.

While I think our recent status is greater than Ipswich I was resigned to accepting that Ipswich are a bigger club during a lockdown quiz argument, and this was when they were in L1. But also when we were pre-good form. I think Ipswich still trump us.
I don’t think history comes into these situations it’s about which club furthers his career, wallet and reputation and is the next rung on his path up the managerial ladder. If you were in his shoes would you go to Brighton or stay with Ipswich?

I think most would do the former and the only risk here is if he is going to take a giant leap and land one of Chelsea or United jobs which if he indicates he will be waiting to see will see us moving on to other options as we don’t have time to see how that plays out.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

I mean 2 promotions back to back from L1 to PL is unprecedented. Kinda fair to move on to better things. Can’t say he hasn’t earned his stripes.

I would feel bloody sorry for Ipswich fans tbh. You finally get promoted back to the PL and some bastards steal your manager. I’d be raging.

It’d be upsetting, and typical, but if someone said 2 years ago, you can have back to back promotions and then your manager would leave, you’d bite their hand off. I’d probably give him a bus parade to the next job.

A lot of sentiment / tribalism in football now but McKenna has done well, in all honesty, to stay this long.

I really hope Chelsea appoint him because it would be hilarious to replace Poch after hitting such excellent form. And then would be amazing for them to have another season of “transition”. Maybe Poch might like it down on the south coast again for a couple of seasons?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I don’t think history comes into these situations it’s about which club furthers his career, wallet and reputation and is the next rung on his path up the managerial ladder. If you were in his shoes would you go to Brighton or stay with Ipswich?

I think most would do the former and the only risk here is if he is going to take a giant leap and land one of Chelsea or United jobs which if he indicates he will be waiting to see will see us moving on to other options as we don’t have time to see how that plays out.

Yeah, I don’t disagree at all. Think there is more than one measure. Not sure I quite explained that in my post though.

Edit : I think there’s a long term reputation / history thing to consider and then a short term current status thing.

This time next year, if Ipswich finish 10th and Brighton 11th, both level on 58 points and only separated by 1GD, who do you join? 😅

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here