Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kid's names you don't hear any more

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not many Basils around these days!
You can usually guess someones age by their name.
1) Very old or dead.....Olive, Maud, Minnie, Ethel, Gladys, Una, Ilma, Agnes, Irene, Norma, Ena, Martha, Lillian....Albert, Edgar, Edmund, Oswald, Ronald, Basil, Arthur.
2) 55+....Colin, Stephen, Raymond, Eric, Alan, Keith, Mick, Gary......Brenda, Susan, Denise, Patricia, Christine, Jacqueline, Wendy.
3) 40+.....Sharon, Karen, Alison, Sandie, Sarah, Paula, Emma.....Lee, Kevin, Wayne, Shane, Sean / Shaun, Paul, Ricky, Christian, Brett, Bradley, Olly.

3) 40+....

Emma is a popular name amongst youngsters including my granddaughter.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Gus.

But on a serious note: Ada, Bertha, Constance, Audrey, Rupert,

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have a teenage brother called Rupert (I blame my social-climbing step mother for that one!)

My grandmother was Constance but that sorts of helps the argument that its an "old" name.

Blame? But I know what you mean. Some 40 years ago my sister-in-law tasked her husband to go and register the birth of their new-born son. He was under instructions to register him as Rupert. When he got back home, the birth certificate said William. He couldn't bring himself to use Rupert.

I had 5 great-aunts - sisters of my grandfather, who were all born late 19th early 20th century, called Ada, Ethel, Constance, Bertha and Agnes. I don't think you would see any of those now.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm glad Matthew isn't used much now. Awful, watery, weak name. Like Gordon or Adrian

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm glad Matthew isn't used much now. Awful, watery, weak name. Like Gordon or Adrian

My best mate now has a son called Matthew, my ex Next Door Neighbour was called Gordon and my best mate at school Adrian. I promise you could not meet three less watery weak people if you tried!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My best mate now has a son called Matthew, my ex Next Door Neighbour was called Gordon and my best mate at school Adrian. I promise you could not meet three less watery weak people if you tried![/QUOTE

Did I call them watery and weak? I said the name is weak. The name just conjours up that image for me. Especially Matthew. I just imagine them being quite weak limbed and needing help to the bathroom with translucent skin. Probably got a touch of asthma.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
innit funny how people get defensive about something that was no choice of theirs and means nothing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Don't hear my name much these days amongst the kids... Andrew.
My boys are Huey and Franklin - never hear those around either!

True, Andrew isn't very popular. Huey is becoming very common now. I know one Franklin, he goes by Frank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here