Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Kick off times in Qatar

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
As Brits, I don't think we're in a position to be hammering Qatar when we killed thousands of children in Afghanistan and Iraq?

It's just possible that those of us who are choosing to take a stand against watching the Qatar World Cup are also aghast at the role our country has played in various atrocities around the world as well.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
World cup kick off times are always a bit screwy when they're not in our timezone - it is a worldwide competition after all.

Regarding Qatar, I'll still watch the football but I will note who the sponsors are (probably the usual FIFA lineup) and simply not buy anything from them. That includes Panini stickers which I have often collected (despite my advancing years). If I see a new sponsor that I already deal with then I'll stop dealing with them and let them know why.

Not watching it is only really punishing me.

As for England's 'over hyped' prospects? You can hardly call them overhyped when we got to the semi final last time and lost on penalties in the Euros. Somehow, despite picking weaker squads than he has available Southgate seems to still mostly get results when it matters. Still, it's not the despair that kills you, it's the hope

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I will be watching England and probably some other matches on my tellybox thing ... just the matches ... no build up or anything else.

That doesn't mean I'm not horrified by the human rights concern in the country.

Shame on me though apparently ... oh well! :shrug:

Will those refusing to watch the World Cup because it's in Qatar also not watch the Winter Olympics next year in Beijing? I assume these same people don't have any electronic gadgets made in China?

Sounds a bit like selective outrage to me!

Why would British people watch the Winter Olympics anyway..?

China is a country doing all kinds of devilish shite but its not out of pure greed, which makes it different (to me at least). They have some (not very likeable) ideas that goes beyond "kill off poor people in order to make money" which makes it all a bit different from "we want a World Cup and while we could make everyone working with it rich, we prefer to use slaves".

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Why would British people watch the Winter Olympics anyway..?

China is a country doing all kinds of devilish shite but its not out of pure greed, which makes it different (to me at least). They have some (not very likeable) ideas that goes beyond "kill off poor people in order to make money" which makes it all a bit different from "we want a World Cup and while we could make everyone working with it rich, we prefer to use slaves".

Why wouldn't British people watch? GB have won medals at Winter Olympics - including gold in 2018. I love watching skiing ... and a number of other events ... whether or not GB are well represented or not.

And re China ... "The internment of Uyghurs and other Turkic Muslims in the camps constitutes the largest-scale arbitrary detention of ethnic and religious minorities since World War II." ... I'd say that's a bit more than just being 'not very likeable' ...

In any event ... I just think the "I'm not going to watch the World Cup because of blah blah blah" and 'shame' on anyone watching ... a bit ridiculous!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
So England reach the World Cup Final.

You clock the lineup an hour before kickoff, and Grealish starts. You pour yourself a cherry brandy, crack open the Matchmakers, switch over to ITV2 for the Celebrity Catchphrase Christmas Special with Stephen Mulhern, and check the result in the Daily Mirror the next morning ?

Don't be silly, nobody likes cherry brandy! (or admits to reading the mirror)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why wouldn't British people watch? GB have won medals at Winter Olympics - including gold in 2018. I love watching skiing ... and a number of other events ... whether or not GB are well represented or not.

And re China ... "The internment of Uyghurs and other Turkic Muslims in the camps constitutes the largest-scale arbitrary detention of ethnic and religious minorities since World War II." ... I'd say that's a bit more than just being 'not very likeable' ...

In any event ... I just think the "I'm not going to watch the World Cup because of blah blah blah" and 'shame' on anyone watching ... a bit ridiculous!

A gold medal in what?

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
As Brits, I don't think we're in a position to be hammering Qatar when we killed thousands of children in Afghanistan and Iraq?

You've assumed I'm a 'brit' ? Regardless of where I was born or live I have every right to call this out.
The swiss crook and his french counterpart have dissappeard and made millions off the back of modern day slavery.
Why the football community , and I include Bloom and Barber, aren't making more of this astounds me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here