Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Khao San Road - Bangkok

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Didn't spot any Brighton badges in MBK but then pretty much headed for cinema / food court top floor and by time we were finished eating (didn't see film) was too late for shopping. 2 and half hours solid of chatter. Good food though (she insisted on taking me somewhere she cooks it in a bowl in middle of table for me herself) MK possibly called? and ordered plenty, then different place for icecream. She pretty much kept insisting on serving me when I tried to myself which I'm told is a good sign with Thai ladies and seemed intelligent, very funny, cute...... but did keep pinching me walking everywhere and wanting me to (honouring me with the chance to) carry her ridiculously enormous handbag. Very odd on pinching front haha not sure if like western women any physical contact is good or if screams bar girl (even though nothing over the top) but that bit did get me wandering so be good to know if this is normal Thai behaviour lmao :eek: Plenty of playing with hair discreetly though, pulling odd faces and brushing against me walking! Not in way that screamed dodgy but yeah

She's a 28 year old accountant who seems to have money and says hates bars and clubs but speaks very good English. From Surin so kind of got the Issan warning signs flashing but does seem genuinely intelligent and have long back story etc. on facebook with lots of innocent looking friends and family commenting, so think give benefit of doubt for now and assume not ex-bargirl etc. (probably bad of me to worry but hear so many stories). Out again tomorrow night and then I travel off for couple weeks so got to decide if spend a night back in BKK before fly back and suggest we meet up again once know how tomorrow goes. Like any women she seemed to delight in giving me flirty signs then friendly signs and trying to get head muddled perhaps or read situation. Asked me some interesting questions about why no girlfriend, if meeting other thai women out here and who a female client who'd commented on my FB was but not in a very jealous way (hear Thai women quite bad for that?).

Is NSC a place to ask for advise on women lmao? Every thread somebody does seems to descend into Gold material :/

On taxi points

Taxi there was 70 during rush hour, coming back was chucking it down so jumped unmetered 200 yards from MBK and he wanted 150, told him I paid 60 to get there :angel: but he was adament 150 (had expected HIM to barter). So I offered him the 90 I had and after about a minute of me shrugging and saying up to him, I can get out and try next one, he cut silent treatment, smiled and said OK. He seemed quite patient but I wasn't going to point out how much I was really carrying. Probably ripped off but for sake of 20 baht / 40p meh! It was chucking it down and late! Faster journey though at this time of night.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Is this true?!!!
I would like one if it is. I wouldn't put it on my car though, just wouldn't look right on a Honda City.

Very rarely go to MBK but I'm going into Bangkok on Saturday, so might take a look.

There is a sticker shop about 5th floor where all the fakes are, might be the one below the cinema and food court. You just give them an image of the sticker you want to make, as long as its hi res enough, they'll make it. They already have alot of football club badges, I'm sure they have the Brighton one but worth taking a Jpeg image just in case.
They also do posters and banners.

Essan128

Aug 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand.
There is a sticker shop about 5th floor where all the fakes are, might be the one below the cinema and food court. You just give them an image of the sticker you want to make, as long as its hi res enough, they'll make it. They already have alot of football club badges, I'm sure they have the Brighton one but worth taking a Jpeg image just in case.
They also do posters and banners.

Thanks Captain. :bhasign:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Bit of a side question, but, do you need to take any jabs before you go to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia etc?

I havent had any kind of vaccincation for years, so just wondering if I need some kind of booster?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Seems alot of you hunt out meters at night instead of going with the hordes of off duty cabbies that gather around nightspots. Well done to you (honestly). I find it very hard when leaving a bar or club at 2am and alot worse for wear, to find a metered cabbie a few streets away. It's just easier to haggle a price, and get it one. What happens is off duties and some that are not off, gather at the enterances to Patpong/khao San/Soi Cowboy bed supper club etc. They then turn meters off and haggle for the price of the destination you are going to. This is always in the late evening. I'm sure you can walk a few streets away and flag a taxi down, whether he'll put the meter on is another matter, it also depends which direction you are going in. I take my hat off to those of you that take a meter to save yourself a couple if quid. But like I said, late on, too many Singa's and Mai Tai's and I get in the nearest taxi and haggle. Whatever floats your boat.

As I said, I didn't walk any distance at all, just shouted that I would get in the first cab to offer to take me on the meter and a young lad offered a meter straight away.

It wasn't just a couple of quid either, I wasn't that far from the centre, in a hotel round the corner from the victory monument (very convenient for the skytrain), it was a couple of quid on the meter (but I paid him more for being honest), the first quote I had was over £20.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Bit of a side question, but, do you need to take any jabs before you go to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia etc?

I havent had any kind of vaccincation for years, so just wondering if I need some kind of booster?

I was told tetenus (sp) but had had all 5 so covered, then had to have a single Hep A one. If i decide to have a second jab in one year i'm covered for 25, otherwise current one runs out after 2. Dengue fever and yellow fever aparently don't need. Hep B heard can be useful but is a sexual one so didn't bother.

Tetunus and Hep A were free btw

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
I spend a few months a year in Bangkok,have done for the last twelve years,and will add this :

Dont ask on here for advice on Bangers,as these replies are limited,uninformed,trivial or practically useless.

Go on a forum like ThaiVisa or Teakdoor,real up-to-the-minute information from expats and residents.

Many tourists make mistakes in Bangers without ever knowing it,and then pass on this restricted blinkered appraisal and compounding the error.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Visit a British prisoner at the Bangkok (Bangkwang) Hilton, that was an eye opener and is 25 minutes from Khao san raod. I visit an 18 year old English lad who got the death sentence reduced to 99 years.
Did you ask him what were the best beaches to explore?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I was told tetenus (sp) but had had all 5 so covered, then had to have a single Hep A one. If i decide to have a second jab in one year i'm covered for 25, otherwise current one runs out after 2. Dengue fever and yellow fever aparently don't need. Hep B heard can be useful but is a sexual one so didn't bother.

Tetunus and Hep A were free btw

Thanks pal

Jul 13, 2012
What the hell do you say to the guy though?

Loads. Talked about the Albion, Where I'm from, his sentence, his family, Bangkwang, his last prison Lard Lao just down the road. General stuff. I do believe the visiting area has changed now as you used to shout across wire mesh then 6ft of no man land then another wire mesh panel to get heard, but now think they've got phones installed.

It's an eye opener.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here